Apple readying 16GB, 32GB flash-based video iPods? | iLounge News

Apple readying 16GB, 32GB flash-based video iPods?

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, March 14, 2007
News Categories: iPod

UBS analyst Alex Guana said yesterday that Apple could use NAND flash memory, as opposed to tiny hard disk drives, in the next version of the video iPod. Guana said that the company will more than likely introduce two new models—a 16GB and a 32GB iPod. The analyst also said that flash memory maker SanDisk would benefit from the switch and upgraded the company’s stock from a “neutral” rating to a “buy.” Guana noted that a flash-based video iPod would help increase demand for the memory and drive up its value.

« Fabrix announces 2007 iPod case lineup

SendStation intros PocketDock AV »

Comments

So it would be a step backwards in the storage department. My 80gig is full so this doesn’t sound like such a good idea.

Posted by nosedive51 on March 14, 2007 at 7:56 AM (PDT)

It would seem to make more sense for a Nano, rather than the full video. 16 or 32GB of storage for a Nano would be rather nice.

If and when Apple introduces a true video iPod, that sucker’s going to need as much memory as possible if it’s going to be playing movies, TV shows and music.

Posted by cxc273 on March 14, 2007 at 8:00 AM (PDT)

este tio es un genio¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

Posted by gonzalo on March 14, 2007 at 8:07 AM (PDT)

100 Gb minimum to be interesting! And thinner than the current 30Gb unit…

Posted by drevo_uk in UK on March 14, 2007 at 9:22 AM (PDT)

From what I can see, making this a Nano is not possible yet. Does anyone even make 32gb flash chips?

Wouldn’t apple have to make a full size ipod and use multiple flash chips for this to work?

I for one would love to see an 80gb video ipod based on flash….the flash chips use less power to grab a file than a hard drive spinning.

More battery power smile  Which would definately be needed when a widescreen ipod comes out…the screen itself is going to suck up a ton of battery.

Posted by Jeff on March 14, 2007 at 9:23 AM (PDT)

Do not touch the 80 GB Apple! I don’t care if you put flash in the other players, but do not go backwords here.

Posted by Dave95 on March 14, 2007 at 9:32 AM (PDT)

Please don’t penalize those of us with very large music collections in our library.  I have a loaded Video 60G and am waiting and hoping that the new 6G will offer a 120G model.  Battery life is not nearly as important to music people as storage space since I’m rarely more than a few hours away from a recharge anyway.

Posted by Charles on March 14, 2007 at 10:09 AM (PDT)

I have a 60GB video ipod now and would happily take a step back to 32GB for a flash-based model. Sure, my 60 is always full, but I could get by with 32GB (iTunes does a great job of auto-loading it with fresh content) to not have to worry about bumping it and damaging the hard drive. Not to mention it would probably be thinner, lighter, and have longer battery life (although I’ve never had the battery run out on my current model). I’ve actually been hoping Apple would make this switch for a while now.

Posted by Brad on March 14, 2007 at 10:13 AM (PDT)

You heard it here first, kids.  The 6G iPod may only carry 16 or 32GB of flash memory, but it will act like a portable Apple TV, meaning it has a small cache to store files such as your unwatched TV shows and most-recently purchased music.  The rest of your library would be streamed over your LAN using Wi-Fi or even via the Internet using a cellular service.  With that being said, there’s no reason this couldn’t be done with the iPhone. smile

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on March 14, 2007 at 10:37 AM (PDT)

16 & 32 GB??????

That would be a joke to any real movie watcher!  What are they thinking?....oh, they’re not thinking.  A true widescreen 6G vPod needs a minimum 100GB storage!  C’mon Apple!!!!

Posted by Tak Engle on March 14, 2007 at 10:43 AM (PDT)

This is a bit miss leading. yes 16 and 32 GB flash based video capable iPods may very well be coming but I think this will be a new line not a video iPod. The new 16 and 32 GB flash models would replace the current hard drive based models in the same form factor while a true Video iPod with wide touch screen would be introduced and have large hard drives possibly 60 and 120 GB.

Posted by Jay on March 14, 2007 at 11:11 AM (PDT)

I can’t help but wonder if price of flash memory is still an issue.  Even in this day and age, Flash remains more expensive than Hard Drive Disk, so might this also be a determining factor in terms of size?  I can’t help but think that possible, if something larger than 32 GB of flash were used, that the next iPod might cost along the lines of the iPhone.  I’m sure there would be people willing to buy it still, regardless, that would definitately ailenate a large portion of perspective buyers.  However, if the price has gone down on Flash memory by enough, to make a 64 GB version viable, then it would be nice if Apple were at least to release that for a Video iPod down the road.

Hard Drive Disk sucks for recording directly onto an iPod without a separated mic, though for the record, all of my recording is done with a separated mic.  That being said, it would be nice to have the option of using a device’s built in mic without having to deal with the clicking associated with Hard Drive Disks.

Posted by David on March 14, 2007 at 11:41 AM (PDT)

I’m waiting to upgrade my 60gb 5G iPod because I REALLY need more storage space - at least 100gb. Definitely not interested in a step backwards.

Posted by urbanslaughter on March 14, 2007 at 11:49 AM (PDT)

I could see apple releasing these two models, and then possibly releasing a new product line of a touchsreen, larger capacity video ipod.  It would be like when the ipod photo came out (b/w ipod and photo ipod offered at the same time); keep both models out there until such a time when a merger of large capacity and NAND memory can be reached.

Posted by thewho61 on March 14, 2007 at 11:56 AM (PDT)

Apple is all about new markets for its iPod line.  First there was the original hard drive based iPod, then the mini for the smaller lower amount of storage.  Then the shuffle for the ultra lightweight and rugged without the interface (not to mention relatively inexpensive). Then came the flash based nano.  Still we have the video at the high end based on the hard drive.

Why wouldn’t they just create a new level in that strata of markets?  They could create the ultra high end 6G iPod with a nice screen and lots of space on a 80/160 GB hard drive.  They can also have the “missing link” which is the 16/32 GB flash based ipod with video with the longer battery life.

The question just really becomes is there a sustainable and developing market for each level?  I guess we’ll see starting this fall…

Posted by Jeremy on March 14, 2007 at 12:15 PM (PDT)

16 and 32 Gig is just the beginning.  Already manufacturers are announcing 128 SSD drive replacements.  NAND memory prices are declining daily and already rival Hard Discs on a price per bit basis.  For music players SSD is perfect for all the reaons stated above.  Look for new play modes and Apple TV interfaces that make the iPod available memory less of a problem than today.  Think remote TV like Sling Box.

Posted by audioguyBOB on March 14, 2007 at 12:31 PM (PDT)

Seriously, how on earth does anyone NEED more than 80 gb?

Posted by nooneNEEDSanipod on March 14, 2007 at 1:58 PM (PDT)

“I am pretty sure that I’ve stumbled onto a really nice feature with my ipod.  You can add and remove any music or movies that you have on your ipod.  That means that even if you “fill up” your ipod, you can remove some of the music to make room for other music.  Same with movies!  There, now no one NEEDS more storage space.

Seriously, how on earth does anyone NEED more than 80 gb?”

At least someone here is thinking.

32 gigs is plenty if it means not having to lug around something as huge as the current full size iPod.

Posted by Steve on March 14, 2007 at 2:56 PM (PDT)

Apple probably knows which percentage of the market needs greater than 80 GB storage.

If there aren’t a lot of people clamoring for more storage, we may not see any greater capacity models.

Posted by wco81 on March 14, 2007 at 3:23 PM (PDT)

Steve -

Then again, how can you really call the current full-size iPods ‘huge’? They’re still smaller than a pack of cigarettes, and people seem to lug THOSE around a lot. And anyway, I still see people with portable CD players, so I don’t think many people feel ‘burdened’ by the full-size iPods yet. And if you are, well, might I suggest doing a bit of weightlifting to strengthen your arms a bit?

Posted by Multimoog on March 14, 2007 at 3:36 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >