Apple readying 60GB iPod | iLounge News

Apple readying 60GB iPod

Toshiba today announced that it will offer a 60GB version of its 1.8-inch hard drive in the coming months and that Apple has already placed its order. Cindy Lee, deputy manager of Toshiba’s hard disk drive division, said the drive will enter mass production during July or August. All three iPod models (15GB, 20GB and 40GB) use Toshiba drives, while the iPod mini uses a 4GB 1-inch drive from Hitachi. Lee noted that Toshiba is currently shipping 350,000 of the 1.8-inch drives per month to Apple.

« Griffin announces iTrip mini FM Transmitter for iPod mini

What does the “i” in iPod stand for? »

Comments

A 60GB iPod? Glory be to the heavens. I could take half my MP3s with me where ever I go.

Posted by M J Fieser on June 2, 2004 at 4:59 AM (PDT)

I hope the next version of the ipod allows me to directly connect my digital or video camera to it so I could just shoot, shoot, shoot.

Posted by Bifoo9 on June 2, 2004 at 5:14 AM (PDT)

Wow!  My 3g, 30 gig according to Apple specs holds 7,500 songs in AAC @ 128kbps.  So now that will be 15,000 smile.  It also means more books, audible and ebooks.  Hopefully, they will make changes so that it will also hold photos that will be viewable.

Posted by honeybee1236 on June 2, 2004 at 5:28 AM (PDT)

Good for shifting Data about too.

Posted by loGan on June 2, 2004 at 5:39 AM (PDT)

I would also guess at 60 gig, Apple is senting up the iPod to carry video/images.

Posted by Randy on June 2, 2004 at 5:49 AM (PDT)

i dont think the ipod will do anything new, it will be just the same as before but with more storage.  they will probably get rid of the 15gb and just have 20, 40 and 60gb versions.

dont hold your breath that apple will include all these new features just becasue the capacity has increased

Posted by bryan on June 2, 2004 at 5:56 AM (PDT)

I anxiously await a 500GB portable hard drive!

Posted by Bigger is Better on June 2, 2004 at 6:03 AM (PDT)

If there will be no new features….the next gen iPod better been revolutionary.

Posted by ililililil on June 2, 2004 at 6:03 AM (PDT)

That’s just a little bigger than my mini. Just a smidge. (I wonder if it’ll be the same size as the 40 (slighty thicker than the 15, 20 giggers).

-Jody-

Posted by Jody on June 2, 2004 at 6:13 AM (PDT)

One more thing… you know what would be revolutionary that would get thousands of applause from the world at Apple’s next Keynote? A revolutionary re-envision of the iPod and/or iPod mini that had a GOOD BATTERY (that lasted almost 20 hours). Common it can’t be that hard to cram a better battery in there… everyone else is doing it! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. Oh you know what else would be cool if they offered an upgrade program for current iPod and iPod mini users getting a REALLY GOOD battery stuck up in there. That’s the only complaint I ever hear about the iPod. The Battery SUCKS. That’s the only thing I want fixed… common apple lets do 20 hours!

-Jody-

Posted by Jody on June 2, 2004 at 6:17 AM (PDT)

It wouldn’t be hard to extrend battery life, but it would sureley be at the cost of SIZE.  Form factor is a big part of the iPod appeal, when I owned a Zen Xtra (waits for boos and hisses) I was ok with it, until it died and I got the ipod to replace it.  I love the small size and portability of the ipod.  Something NEW has to happen in batteyr technology overall, but I guess it’s just not sex enough for most companies to tackle.

Scott

Posted by scottder on June 2, 2004 at 6:34 AM (PDT)

im with Jody. get a good battery!! i just got my iPod yesterday, charged it full and im using it right now . the battery is half gone and i listened to it on the bus (about 20min) and between 1st and 2nd period (5 min) and on the way to lunch (6-7 min)and ive been listening to it in study hall for about half an hour . short batter

Posted by undertool in hatboro, pa on June 2, 2004 at 6:35 AM (PDT)

I’m with Jody. Although, i don’t own an Ipod as of yet. I’ve been a little skeptical about spending all that money on a device that can’t hold at least 6-8 hrs of music. Hopefully, with this “upgrade” on hard drives, Apple will fix these “battery issues”

Posted by Candigrl on June 2, 2004 at 6:58 AM (PDT)

I don’t mind having a bigger sized iPod: what about merging two or even three 60GB HD to give a higher capacity?  I believe that many people like iPod because of its high capacity.  There is a market.

Posted by The Blues on June 2, 2004 at 7:07 AM (PDT)

i dont have an ipod i look p to it a lot and my dad wont let me buy it and i dot have any mony
i 11 years old

Posted by me on June 2, 2004 at 7:45 AM (PDT)

plz help me get an ipod . plz i relly like it and all my friends in grade 6 like it to. plees

Posted by me on June 2, 2004 at 7:48 AM (PDT)

The Blues, “The 180GB RAID in your pocket”? *g* Anyway, 60GB iPod would mean that I could carry *all* my music for at least a few months before I run out of space again. Fierce. Nevertheless, iPod truely needs a better battery, you folks are 100% correct.

Posted by Oliver :) on June 2, 2004 at 7:48 AM (PDT)

Jody wrote
>One more thing… you know what would be >revolutionary that would get thousands of >applause from the world at Apple’s next >Keynote? A revolutionary re-envision of >the iPod and/or iPod mini that had a >GOOD BATTERY (that lasted almost 20 >hours).

That would be nice. Apple got caught in the size vs. performance loop on this subject. The smaller size won. That said, I know that battery technology has come a long way in the last few years. Why Apple chooses to select the older technology stumps me. Anyway, if you want real long battery life get a solid state device. You won’t have the storage capacity but battery life will be much better. Hard drive (mechanical) based MP3 players are inherintly more power hungry. I get five hours on a good day from my battery and purchased a 12v cig lighter charger for auto use. This helps to make up for the battery shortfalls. But if I were on a long flight or away from a charging source for a while I’d be out of luck. All the storage in the world is useless if you run out of battery. I’m waiting for someone to come up with a viable solar charger option for the iPod. I live in New Mexico where there is pleanty of sunlight during the day. It would be kind of cool while camping too.

Tom

Posted by Tom on June 2, 2004 at 7:54 AM (PDT)

Good Lord - 60GB. I just hope Apple doesn’t keep shifting up it’s low-end iPods. I only have about 4 gigs of music, I wouldn’t want to be forced to get a 20/30GB iPod b/c Apple keeps uping their capacity.

Posted by mongoos150 on June 2, 2004 at 8:00 AM (PDT)

plz pepple i want an ipod . i want one plz help me some one

Posted by me on June 2, 2004 at 8:08 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 5 pages  1 2 3 >  Last »