Apple recalls all iPhone 3G adapters sold in 14 countries | iLounge News

Apple recalls all iPhone 3G adapters sold in 14 countries

image

Due to a defect identified in the “Ultracompact” USB Power Adapters included with all iPhone 3G units sold in the U.S., Japan, Canada, Mexico, and six Latin American countries, and sold separately in these and four others, Apple has launched an exchange program in which customers can return their adapters for a new, redesigned version. The program’s site states: “under certain conditions the new ultracompact Apple USB power adapter’s metal prongs can break off and remain in a power outlet, creating a risk of electric shock. We have received reports of detached blades involving a very small percentage of the adapters sold, but no injuries have been reported…. Users with ultracompact power adapters should immediately stop using them until they exchange them for a new, redesigned ultracompact adapter.” The page also states that if the user’s adapter has a single green dot near the prongs, they already have the redesigned adapter and will not need a replacement. According to the program page, replacement adapters will be available starting October 10, and the company will offer replacements via the web, or through its retail stores.

« Macally rolls out cases for iPod nano 4G, touch 2G

David Wiener announces Art.Suono wireless iPod dock »

Comments

Now they just need to recall software 2.1 for one with copy/paste and landscape email and then all iPhones without replaceable batteries. tongue laugh

Posted by Matt D. on September 19, 2008 at 3:03 PM (PDT)

“Users with ultracompact power adapters should immediately stop using them until they exchange them for a new, redesigned ultracompact adapter”
“replacement adapters will be available starting October 10”

thats a long tome to go without charging my phone

Posted by dean on September 19, 2008 at 4:54 PM (PDT)

You can use any powered USB port to charge the device in the meantime. And clearly they need to make an immediate and definitive cautionary statement to avoid possible injury and/or legal exposure.

Posted by chashulme in Southern California on September 19, 2008 at 7:30 PM (PDT)

Is the USB adapter for the 3G iPhone any different than the ones for the iPod Touch?

I just bought a USB Power updater for my new 2G iPod Touch at an Apple store so I’m covered I’m sure if there is an issue and have the receipt.

Just wondering if the issue is limited to the 3G phone.

TIA in advance for any news.

Posted by TEKM on September 19, 2008 at 10:24 PM (PDT)

I recently had a very similar problem with the UK ipod/macbook 3 pin adaptor for it’s power supply. ie the part which slides onto the power supply came away potentially exposing live contacts while it was still possible to be plugged in.

I find it hard to believe that I am the only person who has experienced this and the product has been in continuous circulation since for about 7 years so this is potentially a major issue for Apple?

Interestingly to my knowledge there has been no recall to date? While I initially intended to call Apple, the prospect of dealing with their bangalore call centre meant that in the end I just threw the thing away!

Posted by Trotskiii (UK) on September 20, 2008 at 12:25 AM (PDT)

if you think your power adapter is unsafe don’t talk to apple talk to the trading standards.
If they agree they will take it up with apple.

Posted by phil on September 20, 2008 at 12:40 AM (PDT)

You can charge it on anything with a USB port. I often charge mine using my Wii!

Posted by NFreak007 on September 20, 2008 at 2:07 AM (PDT)

I’ve seen this very problem with a portable speaker charger and a cellphone charger. I think that it is an engineering idea that had been sold as acceptable but has now been proven unreliable.
If it’s anything like the failed units I’ve seen when you pull it out the 2 prongs stay right in the socket.

Posted by RCB on September 21, 2008 at 6:48 AM (PDT)

Must not be that big of a problem… went to my Apple Store this weekend to exchange it and they did not even have replacements in yet.  Waste of a trip.

Posted by Scott D. on September 22, 2008 at 7:43 AM (PDT)

Mine broke within the first week of owning the phone, surprised it took them this long to issue a recall.

Posted by Justin on September 22, 2008 at 11:12 AM (PDT)