Apple releases 1.2.2 update for fifth-generation iPod | iLounge News

Apple releases 1.2.2 update for fifth-generation iPod

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, November 13, 2007
News Categories: iPod

Apple has released its iPod software version 1.2.2 for fifth-generation iPods. According to Apple, the update simply contains “bug fixes.” It has yet to be seen if the update makes any apparent changes in functionality. iPod software version 1.2.2 is available now via the Update feature in iTunes.

« Alpine debuts eX-10 Advanced iPod Controller with Bluetooth

Hoodies rolls out ipodHoodies for nano, touch, classic »

Comments

i just downloaded the latest software 1.2.2 and now when i sync my iPod with iTunes the ipod is empty when it is finished.  I can watch it transfer everything and when i disconnect the ipod there is nothing on there.  totally bizarre.

Posted by nate on November 13, 2007 at 5:37 PM (PDT)

thanks for the heads up. ill wait until i install this update

Posted by Rob on November 13, 2007 at 6:04 PM (PDT)

Same here!
Exactly the same issue!
Anyone knows how to solve it?

Posted by Bruno on November 13, 2007 at 6:08 PM (PDT)

Downloading now, but I’m guessing it relates to Phase.

Posted by Christopher Glass on November 13, 2007 at 6:16 PM (PDT)

to have 1.2.2 work appropriately you must have iTunes 7.5 it seems, if you don’t, the songs will not be seen on the iPod, it will be taking up space, but not accesible outside of your computer.

Posted by studogvetmed in Loveland, CO on November 13, 2007 at 6:17 PM (PDT)

I can’t tell you how annoyed I am. On our Music Server PC, an older PC with Windows 2000 and iTunes 7.3.x, I plugged in an iPod 5G and got notification of an update. I went ahead and installed the update, only to find the iPod missing it’s catalog (or unable to display it).

I read the message above and was delighted to see the fix. I then tried to install 7.5 on the PC, only to find that the 7.5 installer requires Windows XP or Vista. Had I known that, I would have deferred the iPod update.

I was able to plug the iPod into an XP machine with iTunes 7.5 and the fix did work. But I’m pretty sure I cannot use iPod with the Windows 2000 machine (our music server, as I said) until either Apple fixes the problem or until I break down and get a new machine.

Sheesh!

Posted by Mark Feblowitz on November 13, 2007 at 6:57 PM (PDT)

Ever since I installed iTunes 7.5 my iPod has been randomly disconnecting from both my G5 PowerMac and my MacBook Pro. I’m really hoping that this iPod update will solve this particularly annoying issue.

Posted by Lawrence Mikkelsen in New Zealand on November 13, 2007 at 7:32 PM (PDT)

On winxp with iTunes 7.5 everything is fine.  The update went very smooth.

Posted by Joel on November 13, 2007 at 7:48 PM (PDT)

Same problem here - after so long without any 5 gen updates, I got the message today when syncing, so I went ahead with the update.  Then later this afternoon, pulled out the iPod to listen to some music and was dismayed to find 0 songs.  I thought it was some sort of corruption of the iPod database and was considering having to reformat the drive and reload all my music - good thing I checked iLounge and read these posts before I went that far.  I hope that connecting to a Win XP machine with iTunes 7.5 will fix the problem at least in the short term.  I think it’s poor of Apple to put out a update that requires a particular version of iTunes, knowing that those of us with older operating systems won’t have that version - especially when it causes minor problems like not being able to use your iPod to listen to music - not to mention the distress caused when it looks like all your music and videos are gone.

Posted by Markr on November 13, 2007 at 8:17 PM (PDT)

This didn’t fix my problem maybe someone can help I have a 5g that everything seems to work and all menus and list but when I hit play the play indicator comes on but the timer stays on 0:00 and the hard drive dose not seem to be engaging. Any ideas ? (i have already done the restore)

Posted by Ag on November 13, 2007 at 8:18 PM (PDT)

Will, they ever make an update giving 5th gen ipods coverflow?

Posted by Taran on November 13, 2007 at 8:18 PM (PDT)

I just installed it, and the only thing I notice is that it’s removed my “Classic” theme.

No big deal.

Posted by Eric on November 13, 2007 at 8:19 PM (PDT)

My 5th Gen iPod exploded after the update. Unfortunately, the polycarbonate face shattered and fragments are lodged in my lower carotid artery. I’ll keep you all updated.

Posted by beiler on November 13, 2007 at 9:26 PM (PDT)

i have a Mac—and a 5.5 ipod & 7.5 already installed.

Should i install upgrade?

Posted by allan michael on November 13, 2007 at 11:04 PM (PDT)

I installed it on my 80GB 5.5Gen. All is well. It still plays fine. It appears to be a little faster. No other visible changes, but I haven’t played with it much after the update.

Posted by Gianluca on November 14, 2007 at 12:21 AM (PDT)

Just updated my 60GB 5th Gen…No problems whatsoever.

Posted by Rowald on November 14, 2007 at 12:25 AM (PDT)

I installed it and everything is fine. I’m not sure if it’s because I cleared some media from my device, or because of this update, but my iPod seems to be moving faster. I didn’t delete much of anything, though.

Posted by ddsd on November 14, 2007 at 4:31 AM (PDT)

I am hesitant at updating until I know one thing. Did apple inclue on this update the restriction to the TV out on the Fifth Gen iPod. I have already bought a few cables that I know dan’t have the chip and work great. I would hate to update the iPod and find out I can’t play my videos thru my TV without buying a new thing with a apple chip in it.

Posted by Vipercom on November 14, 2007 at 6:37 AM (PDT)

Same stupid problem…Apple sucks… they cant even think about everyone doesnt want to install every stupid itunes update that comes out a week…

Posted by Emre on November 14, 2007 at 7:18 AM (PDT)

@Emre,
I thought the big NO button was meant for the type of users you discribed.

Posted by Jornuts on November 14, 2007 at 7:56 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >