Apple releases iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch | iLounge News

Apple releases iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch

Apple has released iOS 4 for the second- and third-generation iPod touch, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 3GS. The fourth major release of Apple’s mobile device operating system—previously called iPhone OS—the new software provides over 100 new features or enhancements, according to Apple. Among these are multitasking, folders, customizable backgrounds for the Home screen, a unified inbox for the Mail application, more fine-grained control over Location Services, support for Apple’s new iAd mobile advertising platform, and support for iBooks 1.1 on the iPhone and iPod touch. Several of the features—most notably multitasking—require more advanced hardware and are therefore only available on the iPhone 3GS and third-generation iPod touch, as well as future devices such as the iPhone 4. Interestingly, iLounge editors have seen a dialog box experienced when updating a second-generation iPod touch, warning not to “interrupt the update, which may take an hour or longer to complete” that was not seen when upgrading an iPhone 3GS. The iOS 4 update for the second-generation iPod touch weighs in at 315.0MB, the iPhone 3G update is 292.1MB, the third-generation iPod touch download is 366.4MB, and the iPhone 3GS version is 378.0MB. iOS 4 for the iPhone and iPod touch is available for download now via the update feature in iTunes, and will be coming to the iPad this fall.

Update: iOS 4 for the iPhone 4 is a 579.3MB download, more than 200MB larger than any of the other iOS 4 install bundles.

« Apple: Check your iPhone price, bring IDs to Store

Apple sneaks iAd opt-out into iTunes Store update »

Comments

Anyone have any luck with this yet? I’m hoping to upgrade when I get home from work, but I know there’s always a lot of traffic and some potential problems at first…

Posted by Dave on June 21, 2010 at 1:23 PM (CDT)

I received the same message when updating my 3G. Going by the rate at which it’s backing up my 16gb iPhone, the process will take MUCH longer than an hour to back up and install the update. However, the download itself only took about a minute.

Posted by Colin Henderson on June 21, 2010 at 1:42 PM (CDT)

Sooo… does “restore” officially mean the contents of my whole iPod Touch 3G will be erased and then added back on? If so, this is gonna take days…

Posted by Karrie on June 21, 2010 at 2:11 PM (CDT)

Took no time at all on my 3GS. 9 mins download then installed and updated carrier settings and then just the time it takes to do a usual update or restore. Working pretty fast- now reading online to try and work out how to work the bloody thing. Got the hang of folders and I think the multitasking thing- you have to apparently go and close down background apps yourself. Battery life seems to be improved by it though- just dropped to 99% after aLOT of stuff that would normally have eaten into it.

Posted by Rob on June 21, 2010 at 2:12 PM (CDT)

For 3GS, the build number is 8A293, which is the exact same build number for the GM release.

Posted by AK on June 21, 2010 at 2:21 PM (CDT)

is anyone else having issues with getting email from a Microsoft Exchange server after installing iOS 4???

Posted by BigMan1Esq on June 21, 2010 at 2:48 PM (CDT)

The upgrade is taking forever on a 3G phone. First it was hanging so long during the backup process I thought it had gone dead. Count for at least an hour.

Posted by Sondergaard on June 21, 2010 at 2:49 PM (CDT)

I’ve got a 3G that I started updating at 1:30 and it was finally done at a bit before 4pm. It flat out died once! I’ve been playing with it a bit and fail to see the benefit in updating a 3G. Thought I would at least be able to change the home screen wallpaper but no deal. Any one know if any of the new features apply to the 3G? Thanks!! I’ll just keep playing with it and wait for my iPhone 4. :)

Posted by melissa on June 21, 2010 at 4:24 PM (CDT)

The backup process on a 3G iTouch sure does take Forever. I started three hours ago and I’m only 20% done on my 32 GB unit.

Karl

Posted by Karl in Renton, Wa on June 21, 2010 at 4:34 PM (CDT)

The upgrade went wickedly fast for the first time ever since I owned an Iphone!  I think the fact that I backed up the phone last night while waiting for the upgrade to appear.  The phone runs like its on sugar and crack!  Very happy so far with the new os.  I have a 3gs with 32gig on it.

Posted by scubapro on June 21, 2010 at 4:36 PM (CDT)

I just updated my 3GS. I t started at 4:51 and completed at 5:09. 18 minutes is not bad at all. That is the fastest update I have personally seen on any iPhone.

Posted by Mitch on June 21, 2010 at 5:13 PM (CDT)

upgrade is good except how do i access folders for apps ?
i have the ipod touch. it would be great to organize this mayhem

Posted by chuck manzell on June 21, 2010 at 5:41 PM (CDT)

already installed and great but, just found the first bug. photos in albums (wallpaper, random nonsense, contacts) not taken with the camera or saved into the regular camera album have been severely distorted and won’t even send through mail. anyone else encounter this issue?

Posted by romeplows on June 21, 2010 at 6:00 PM (CDT)

Successfully updated iPOD Touch 2G to iOS4. As reported elsewhere the update was taking a long time. So I desynced iPod( removed all apps & songs etc), & then updated. The backup took around 5 to 10 sec aftr clearing iPod. Update was fast as usual. Folders work but you cannot set a wallpaper to home screen as it is not supported on iPod Touch 2G.

Posted by Sushil on June 21, 2010 at 6:55 PM (CDT)

Small correction to my post #14. In the first line read the word “update” as backup”.

Posted by Sushil on June 21, 2010 at 7:01 PM (CDT)

Updated my iPhone 3GS today, took about 35 minutes total. I noticed that when I went to look at the photos previously stored on my 3GS, strangely all of them looked blurry/pixelated as if the resolution had been reduced drastically. I had to re-sync all of my photos to my 3GS, and upon doing that the photos looked right again. Anyone else notice this?

Posted by TokyoRevelation on June 21, 2010 at 9:03 PM (CDT)

mine took two hours to update, via my macbook, my fathers windows machine has frozen twice and i am hopin third times a charm. I cannot figure out how to make the home page a wallpaper on my 3g, just wont give me that option. anyone else have this problem?

Posted by Mark on June 21, 2010 at 9:29 PM (CDT)

The servers must be getting pounded. It took three hours and four timeouts midway through just to download (6-9 PM).

Posted by Paul on June 21, 2010 at 10:09 PM (CDT)

Why is the first gen iPod Touch left out of this? Smells like a ploy to make me want to upgrade.

Posted by Chris Hall on June 21, 2010 at 11:04 PM (CDT)

Ok, ok, we know that the 3GS phones back up in less than a half an hour and that any previous versions of the iPhone are slower than, well, they are unacceptably slow. I wouldn’t be surprised if this was some tactic of Apple to make us hate our older phones so that we are more likely to upgrade to the new 4G. Maybe not, but I wouldn’t put it past any money hungry company. At least Apple makes killer products that have at least some value, compared to the phones we all had before the iPhone came out.

On a side note, look up the term “planned obsolescence” and maybe even google “the story of stuff” which is a website that shows you where your things come from and how wasteful we are in the modernized parts of the world. It is not a “for profit” site, it is just there to inform people. Also, I don’t work for them.

Posted by Mart on June 21, 2010 at 11:07 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›