Apple releases iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch | iLounge News

Apple releases iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, June 21, 2010
News Categories: Apple, iPhone, iPod

Apple has released iOS 4 for the second- and third-generation iPod touch, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 3GS. The fourth major release of Apple’s mobile device operating system—previously called iPhone OS—the new software provides over 100 new features or enhancements, according to Apple. Among these are multitasking, folders, customizable backgrounds for the Home screen, a unified inbox for the Mail application, more fine-grained control over Location Services, support for Apple’s new iAd mobile advertising platform, and support for iBooks 1.1 on the iPhone and iPod touch. Several of the features—most notably multitasking—require more advanced hardware and are therefore only available on the iPhone 3GS and third-generation iPod touch, as well as future devices such as the iPhone 4. Interestingly, iLounge editors have seen a dialog box experienced when updating a second-generation iPod touch, warning not to “interrupt the update, which may take an hour or longer to complete” that was not seen when upgrading an iPhone 3GS. The iOS 4 update for the second-generation iPod touch weighs in at 315.0MB, the iPhone 3G update is 292.1MB, the third-generation iPod touch download is 366.4MB, and the iPhone 3GS version is 378.0MB. iOS 4 for the iPhone and iPod touch is available for download now via the update feature in iTunes, and will be coming to the iPad this fall.

Update: iOS 4 for the iPhone 4 is a 579.3MB download, more than 200MB larger than any of the other iOS 4 install bundles.

« Apple: Check your iPhone price, bring IDs to Store

Apple sneaks iAd opt-out into iTunes Store update »

Comments

I updated my 3G and now my phone will NOT connect to WI-FI!!!
Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it?
I have reset the router, modem, phone… No luck.

Posted by Penn on June 21, 2010 at 9:43 PM (PDT)

For some reason the wallpaper home feature is not an option on my third gen ipod touch . Lame.

Posted by Billy Hudgeon on June 22, 2010 at 2:17 AM (PDT)

Took a little over 2 hours to update my 3G via the MacBook Pro.  A little lackluster if you ask me, I will admit I like the folder feature as it makes for less screen scrolling and keeping my apps neatly organized.

Posted by hwp_the_4th on June 22, 2010 at 5:57 AM (PDT)

Ugh… Live Updating of Smart Playlists is STILL broken… after all these years.

Why does Apple allow such a hideous and glaring software bug to persist? It’s really aggravating.

My 4 year old iPod Nano should not be better at handling smart playlists then my iPhone. That’s just stupid.

Posted by ort on June 22, 2010 at 7:46 AM (PDT)

yeah. i got the update. It’s pretty sick. Other than customizable home background, not much difference.

Posted by Clarence Hung on June 22, 2010 at 8:14 AM (PDT)

I’ve seen some issues with my Exchange sync to GMail, although most of them were fixed by turning it off and then back on.

I’ve only seen two actual bugs on my 3G:
The Places map in the Photo Album displays pins with logical placement and spacing, but no actual map background, just an unpopulated Google grid.

The battery indicator changes from the lightning bolt to the plug while charging before the phone is actually finished charging. I have to turn the screen off and then back on again to see the actual charging status.

Posted by Skwid on June 22, 2010 at 10:19 AM (PDT)

i upgraded to ios4 on my ipod touch last night but all my files were gone. any ideas how to get those back?

Posted by gianna on June 22, 2010 at 1:07 PM (PDT)

I updated my iPod Touch to iOS4 yesterday and have found the following problems:
1) WiFi connectivity has suddenly become very flaky on my iPod Touch. I tried rebooting my iPod Touch, turning off WiFi and turning it back on, trying a different WiFi access point, and forgetting the WiFi network and then adding it again. None of these solved the problem: after a little while my iPod touch can’t communicate over the WiFi connection anymore.
2) Whenever my iPod connects to Wifi it seems to update the time zone I am in (correctly) to Eastern Time but updates the device time incorrectly (it sets it to 3 hours in the future).
3) When iTunes resynced my Google Calendar to my iPod Touch for the first time, iTunes changes the times of all my appointments in Google Calendar to +3 hours!

How do I revert back to iOS 3?!?!?!

Posted by Gable on June 22, 2010 at 3:29 PM (PDT)

In the end only the Ipod Touch 16g and 32g really benefit from the OS4 upgrade.  Apparently the multitasking will only work with those two.

Posted by Ryker Robert on June 22, 2010 at 4:41 PM (PDT)

@Penn (#21): Try resetting your network settings, which can be found under the General, Reset options in the “Settings” app. This will clear out all of your remembered Wi-Fi networks and other settings and then you can try reconfiguring them from scratch.

@Billy Hudgeon (#22): The wallpaper feature should be fully supported on the actual third-generation iPod touch models, Keep in mind, however, that only the 32GB and 64GB models released in the fall of 2009 are actual third-generation models. The 8GB iPod touch still being sold by Apple is actually the second-generation iPod touch, which will have the same limitations as any other second-generation model from 2008 or even the iPhone 3G. When Apple released the third-generation iPod touch models (32GB/64GB) last fall, they kept the lower-end 8GB model for sale, but it’s otherwise the same hardware as the 2008 model, at a lower price and sold with OS 3.x pre-installed.  This is similar to how Apple kept selling the 8GB iPhone 3G as an entry-level model alongside the higher-capacity 3GS models.

@gianna (#27): You can manually restore your iPod touch from an earlier iTunes backup by right-clicking on it in the Devices list and choosing “Restore from Backup.”  You may have more than one backup, so try older ones and see if your data comes back, as the most recent one may be from after the update.  Older ones should have the date and time as part of the description.

@Gable (#28): You can revert to an earlier OS version on an iPod touch device by holding down the OPT key (Mac) or SHIFT key (Windows) and clicking the “Restore” option in iTunes. You will be prompted to select a specific firmware package, and should be able to browse to and locate the previous OS 3.x package from your last update. On a Mac, this file is in your home Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates folder, on Windows it’s in your home folder under Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates.  Note that you cannot revert the OS on an iPhone device since there are some other firmware upgrades that occur to the cellular radio hardware that can’t be downgraded—at least not through normal means.

@Ryker Robert (#29): Actually, it’s the two third-generation iPod touch models that benefit from multitasking, home screen wallpapers, and Bluetooth keyboard support. This would be the two new models released in 2009—the 32GB and 64GB models.  As mentioned earlier, the 8GB model still being sold by Apple is a second-generation iPod touch.  The 16GB and 2008 32GB iPod touch are also second-generation iPod models.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on June 22, 2010 at 5:12 PM (PDT)

Thankyou Apple for fixing my 3G! Ever since iOS3 came out, my iPhone 3G has been anything but useful. Thanks to iOS4, I feel like I’m using a completely new phone. When I close an app, I get a smooth transition instead of the app abruptly crashing. For the first time in a year my iPhone actually works like a half decent phone.

Posted by Michael on June 22, 2010 at 6:29 PM (PDT)

the backup is takin forever

Posted by william gilbert on June 22, 2010 at 7:19 PM (PDT)

mine updated in like 10 min wiht the current ipod touch so smile for me but how do i make folders its confusing this update needs instructions

Posted by shannon on June 23, 2010 at 4:47 AM (PDT)

TIP: back up ipod using the SYNC thing that you normally do…

the go to ipod settings and rerase IPOD..

this will make ipod empty..

now update!!

it wont take that much time to restore…

then restore using the normal way or simply sync again…

Posted by jOHN on June 23, 2010 at 6:59 AM (PDT)

hey im trying to upgrade my ipod touch 2nd gen. and its taking two hours to just download!! :( has anyone else had to wait this long? this is the slowest update ive ever had to wait for

Posted by Jannah on June 23, 2010 at 7:58 AM (PDT)

I had the same low resolution issue as TokyoRevelation when upgrading my 3GS to iOS 4. I also noticed that it only affected my photo library, while my Photo Roll was unaffected. At least a re-sync of my photo library fixed the issue, but it’s definitely a weird glitch.

Posted by PMjaws on June 23, 2010 at 8:16 AM (PDT)

I cannot type when trying to save a recent call log entry. the Address book could not take in alphabets or numbers. Is it a bug?

Posted by Sunil on June 23, 2010 at 9:10 AM (PDT)

Screw Apple! There was absolutely no reason home screen wallpaper couldn’t be supported on the iPod Touch 2G. They just refused to provide it in an effort to force us to upgrade to the iPod Touch 3G. Greedy jerks.

Posted by Jane on June 23, 2010 at 11:24 AM (PDT)

Updated my 32G 2nd Generation Touch. I’m a bit underwhelmed but generally pleased, as I had issues with previous updates (3.1.2/3 specifically) causing issues with media playback. It now has bluetooth volume control, which is nice, playlist editing is long overdue but welcome.

I agree with Jane’s message (#38), it is unbelievable that some options like orientation locking aren’t available on the 2Gen. I can’t imagine why that needs to be part of the multi-tasking interface.

Posted by chris on June 23, 2010 at 2:27 PM (PDT)

i updated my ipod touch 3G and i only got to put my apps in folders, none of the other features, the same thing happened to a friend of mine. but then another friend of mine updated his on my computer and it completly worked for him…. can anyone explain why? and we all have the ipod touch 3G.

Posted by Kalynn on June 24, 2010 at 11:02 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >