Apple releases iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch | iLounge News

Apple releases iOS 4 for iPhone, iPod touch

Apple has released iOS 4 for the second- and third-generation iPod touch, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 3GS. The fourth major release of Apple’s mobile device operating system—previously called iPhone OS—the new software provides over 100 new features or enhancements, according to Apple. Among these are multitasking, folders, customizable backgrounds for the Home screen, a unified inbox for the Mail application, more fine-grained control over Location Services, support for Apple’s new iAd mobile advertising platform, and support for iBooks 1.1 on the iPhone and iPod touch. Several of the features—most notably multitasking—require more advanced hardware and are therefore only available on the iPhone 3GS and third-generation iPod touch, as well as future devices such as the iPhone 4. Interestingly, iLounge editors have seen a dialog box experienced when updating a second-generation iPod touch, warning not to “interrupt the update, which may take an hour or longer to complete” that was not seen when upgrading an iPhone 3GS. The iOS 4 update for the second-generation iPod touch weighs in at 315.0MB, the iPhone 3G update is 292.1MB, the third-generation iPod touch download is 366.4MB, and the iPhone 3GS version is 378.0MB. iOS 4 for the iPhone and iPod touch is available for download now via the update feature in iTunes, and will be coming to the iPad this fall.

Update: iOS 4 for the iPhone 4 is a 579.3MB download, more than 200MB larger than any of the other iOS 4 install bundles.

« Apple: Check your iPhone price, bring IDs to Store

Apple sneaks iAd opt-out into iTunes Store update »

Comments

I have had nothing but problems since I upgraded my 2nd gen iPod touch!

Whenever I go into an App. it takes aages to load, then once it’s finally loaded (IF it loads at all, some jsut give up and take me back to the screen where I can select apps.) it usually crashes within a minute - as in it throws me out of the app. and takes me back to the select an app. view!!

Has anyone else had this problem? Because it’s driving me crazy!

Also my battery dies ever so quickly since the backup!

Any tips??

Posted by Steph on July 16, 2010 at 4:17 AM (PDT)

Glad I read comments here before upgrading.
I’ll be sticking w/ my Jailbroken 3.1 2 8GB iPod. No need to upgrading.
I’ll reconsider when it’s easier to jailbreak iOS 4.

Posted by Xavi on July 19, 2010 at 3:10 PM (PDT)

i have the ipod touch. its the 2g   but when does this update start for the ipod ?

Posted by derek from de on July 27, 2010 at 8:56 AM (PDT)

I dont get why i cant set a home screen wallpeper or do multitasking even thought i updated my ipod touch 3G to the iOS 4 software!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by james on August 3, 2010 at 4:42 PM (PDT)

I am trying to download 4.0.2 for my iPod Touch 2G and it downloads in about 20 minutes but it won’t install onot my iPod. It will just stay there making no progress “backing up” for hours. I have tried 8 times to install it and have had no success.

Posted by Elena on August 17, 2010 at 12:06 PM (PDT)

I have an iPod everytime I update it with iTunes I get this error (9) (20).can anyone help me figuire this out and I bwlive that the 2g iPod has a speaker built in right. Just help me please someone.

Posted by Siomara on August 18, 2010 at 10:06 PM (PDT)

I just purchased a 2nd genration ipod touch with 3.1 software but when I loaded it i tunes upgrades to 4.1.  I have a JBL speaker dock system and now the ipod will not charge.  Anybody having issues like me.  JBL claims it is because I jave 4.1 software and that it is a known bug in apple sofgtware versiooin 4.0 and up. I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out what the problem is. Apple states no problems reports JBL claims major problems with 4.0 verison.  HELP

Posted by Patti C on September 22, 2010 at 6:49 PM (PDT)

Page 4 of 4 pages « First  <  2 3 4