Apple releases iOS 4.0.1 Software Update for iPhone | iLounge News

Apple releases iOS 4.0.1 Software Update for iPhone

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, July 15, 2010
News Categories: Apple, iPhone

Apple has released iOS 4.0.1 Software Update for iPhone, the first update to the iOS since the release of 4.0 on June 21. According to Apple’s release notes, the 4.0.1 Software Update “improves the formula to determine how many bars of signal strength to display.” Apple promised this fix in a press release earlier this month; it remains to be seen whether it also addresses the ongoing proximity sensor issue, as well. The iOS 4.0.1 Software Update for iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 4 is available now via the Update feature in iTunes.

« Apple releases iOS 3.2.1 Software Update for iPad

Griffin debuts Loop stand, charger, case for iPad »

Comments

iOS 3.2.1 is out for the iPad, too.

Posted by DP on July 15, 2010 at 12:19 PM (PDT)

Doesn’t appear to fix proximity issues, but it doesn’t claim to offer such a fix. Perhaps the 4.1 firmware developers got yesterday deals with that. That update did solve bluetooth issues. This 4.01 update only changes the way the bar are represented, and the range of signal strength is remapped.

Posted by William Robinson on July 15, 2010 at 12:54 PM (PDT)

I tried to install this update and it put my phone into recovery mode. :S I’d rather not restore it if at all possible. Can someone please help me?

Thanks.

Posted by Mani on July 15, 2010 at 2:06 PM (PDT)

it put mine in recovery mode too. great job apple!
i think the apple is starting to rot a little

Posted by blkwlf on July 15, 2010 at 2:23 PM (PDT)

it put mine in recovery mode as well.  I’m on the phone with apple now trying to get it resolved…  and in the meantime I have a dead phone!

Posted by daprie on July 15, 2010 at 2:51 PM (PDT)

#3 - You’re not installing it right. (sorry, couldn’t resist)

Posted by rockmyplimsoul on July 15, 2010 at 2:52 PM (PDT)

Installed mine with no issues at all.

Posted by mikelarry85 on July 15, 2010 at 3:03 PM (PDT)

Let us know how you get it resolved! :D

Posted by Mani on July 15, 2010 at 3:07 PM (PDT)

Stupid update got my phone too.  Same deal.  Was on with Apple for over half hour.  Tried to update 4 different times to no avail!!  He now says to disable McAfee and try it again!  grrrrrr!

Posted by Paul Underwood on July 15, 2010 at 3:18 PM (PDT)

Did you end up having to restore?

Posted by Mani on July 15, 2010 at 3:24 PM (PDT)

That’s just it…IT WON’T RESTORE!!! I AM WITHOUT A PHONE UNTIL I FIGURE OUT HOW TO RESOLVE THIS.  APPLE HASN’T A CLUE!  I have installed every other update on iphone 3g before with zero issues.  Now this!

Posted by Paul Underwood on July 15, 2010 at 3:27 PM (PDT)

First they tried to tell me to switch USB ports.  (like that’s ever solved anything).  Then they wanted to make sure everything was updated. Still nothing.  I tell you, avoid this update.  It is the plague.

Posted by Paul Underwood on July 15, 2010 at 3:35 PM (PDT)

running windows vista.

Posted by Paul Underwood on July 15, 2010 at 3:39 PM (PDT)

I have an iPhone3G and I upgraded to 4.0.1 with no issues on my MacBookPro running OS X Snow Leopard. Didn’t take nearly as long as it did to go to 4.0.0 and no ridiculous extra backup, either. Good luck!

Posted by AimeeG on July 15, 2010 at 4:09 PM (PDT)

This fixed it for me!

Download Recboot. It wouldn’t let me post the link.

Posted by Mani on July 15, 2010 at 4:14 PM (PDT)

no issues for me…and from doing a Speed Test before and then after the update, my performance improved! :o

Posted by Jason on July 15, 2010 at 5:02 PM (PDT)

I am having the same issue with the phone being put in recovery mode and not being able to restore it. Did anyone find a solution?

Posted by Desi on July 15, 2010 at 5:33 PM (PDT)

Put mine into restore as well. Did a restore, all came back just like it was. Posting on it now.

Posted by Alden on July 15, 2010 at 6:41 PM (PDT)

Okay i updated and it put it in Restore Mode too.
Use Recboot to kick it out of Restore Mode. You can find Recboot by typing it in on google. After you use Recboot it’ll kick out of Restore Mode and be on 4.0.1.

Ps. Ios 4.0.1 is pointless to update. Just updated it and instantly my bars dropped. Pointless. Come on apple.

Posted by mattpulliam on July 15, 2010 at 10:21 PM (PDT)

Updated my iPhone 4 with no problems. Lets see what this does however, I had no problems with reception or dropped calls but did have a proximity sensor issue (the call always ended up muted).

Posted by MZ on July 15, 2010 at 11:29 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >