Apple releases iOS 4.0.1 Software Update for iPhone | iLounge News

Apple releases iOS 4.0.1 Software Update for iPhone

Apple has released iOS 4.0.1 Software Update for iPhone, the first update to the iOS since the release of 4.0 on June 21. According to Apple’s release notes, the 4.0.1 Software Update “improves the formula to determine how many bars of signal strength to display.” Apple promised this fix in a press release earlier this month; it remains to be seen whether it also addresses the ongoing proximity sensor issue, as well. The iOS 4.0.1 Software Update for iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 4 is available now via the Update feature in iTunes.

« Apple releases iOS 3.2.1 Software Update for iPad

Griffin debuts Loop stand, charger, case for iPad »

Comments

Just installed 4.0.1 on my iPhone 3GS from a Windows XP computer. No problem or hang-ups. Process was quicker than 4.0. Good luck to you guys.

Posted by Cereal on July 16, 2010 at 6:19 AM (CDT)

Does Apple even both to field test updates before rolling them out?

Posted by Charles Farley on July 16, 2010 at 7:29 AM (CDT)

#22—only in pubs in Oakland, California.

Posted by JonnyOneNote on July 16, 2010 at 12:19 PM (CDT)

Installing and using 4.0 on my iPhone 3G was generally a disaster from the hours it took to install it to the slowness of the phone post install. However, 4.0.1 installed quickly and seemed to fix the slowness problem with the 3G.  I’ve got my old reliable companion back. Maybe some of the other folks who have experienced the problems post install of 4.0 should give it a try.

Posted by hshuman in Fort Worth, TX 76102 on July 17, 2010 at 1:01 PM (CDT)

MY iphone, amongst many others packed up last night after the failed 4.0.1 update, but I got it back in the end.

Basically, while my phone was in restore mode (white apple logo on screen) I found the “Appdata” folder and removed the 4.0.1 update file from there, then I reinstalled itunes after also deleting everything to do with apple and itunes from my PC (windows 7),  plugged in my frozen iphone with fresh itunes install open and followed on screen prompts to restore it and VOILA !!! it worked with a full working version of 4.0.1 and no glitches it seems in it so far.

One thing to note is, I turned off Norton, and I did have to put all my apps, vidoes and music back on though, but thats a small price to pay to have my iphone working again.

Hope other people find this useful and get their phones working again.

Posted by Andy on July 22, 2010 at 4:37 AM (CDT)

I installed the update, no problem. I have this app, Papaya, and it doesn’t work anymore with this or the previous update. No jailbreaking software yet :( My iPod isn’t going as fast anymore, and the volume isn’t really working so well. I have to press the volume button continuously for awhile until the volume actually starts going up/down. And, my friends can change their iPod backgrounds behind the apps? I can’t.

Posted by Ms. Jelly on August 13, 2010 at 11:27 AM (CDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2