Apple releases iOS 4.0.2 and 3.2.2 with security fix + more? (updated) | iLounge News

Apple releases iOS 4.0.2 and 3.2.2 with security fix + more? (updated)

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, August 11, 2010
News Categories: Apple, iPad, iPhone, iPod

Apple has released iOS 4.0.2 for the iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, second-, and third-generation iPod touch, as well as iOS 3.2.2 for the iPad. According to Apple’s release notes, both releases patch a “security vulnerability associated with viewing malicious PDF files.” Apple recently came under fire for the security hole, which could result in a hacker gaining administrator access to the device. iOS 4.0.2 and 3.2.2 are available now through the Update function in iTunes.

Updated: One iLounge editor has noticed an uptick in reported iPhone 4 signal strength since installing iOS 4.0.2 software. Under 4.0.0, the iPhone reported 4-5 bars of strength, falling to 2-3 bars when 4.0.1 was installed. The same iPhone 4 now shows 3-4 bars of strength, suggesting that something may have changed again in Apple’s bar-displaying algorithm. If you’ve noticed a change, or no change, please let us know in the comments to this article.

« Next Apple TV to be capped at 720p, run apps?

Orange UK: White iPhone 4 coming at year’s end »

Comments

I have noticed an increase in the signal strength bars on my iPhone 4. Normally when I am at home I would get 1-2 bars, now I am getting anywhere from 3-5 bars.

Posted by Alan on August 11, 2010 at 5:56 PM (PDT)

#1 same here when Im at home i get 1-2 bars but i dont see an increase after the update, I’m going to restart my phone and see if anything changes…

Posted by Jansel Jr on August 11, 2010 at 6:04 PM (PDT)

Update: I restarted my phone and the signal jumps up and down from 3 bars to 1 bar… same as before

Posted by Hansel Jr on August 11, 2010 at 6:07 PM (PDT)

Update 2: when my phone its on standby it shows 4 bars, when I unlock the phone it goes down to 2 bars and bar! I’ll have to test this for a few days..

Posted by Hansel Jr on August 11, 2010 at 6:10 PM (PDT)

Is this vulnerability present in the latest firmware being run on older iPod Touches (eg my 1st gen)?

If so, is there any sign Apple will be releasing an updated firmware for these devices that won’t run iOS4?

I’m fine with not being able to run iOS4 on my Touch (I wouldn’t want to slow it down to a stand still) but I’d expected security patches to continue.

Posted by Stephen on August 12, 2010 at 1:47 AM (PDT)

Same bars for me, after a reboot as well.  I say ‘bars’ because I get the same performances with or without a case as I did before.

Posted by Tamarai on August 12, 2010 at 5:45 AM (PDT)

Did before and after test in identical locations and saw no difference in reported signal. What I did experience was a 4g that forgot what it was. It froze and took ~ a dozen attempts before it would finally do a refresh and re-install of everything. Major scare.

Posted by Usdrowski on August 12, 2010 at 6:36 AM (PDT)

This update screwed my Ipod Touch 2g. I had it jailbroken on 4.0 but I just wanted the security patch so I tried to update it. When itunes attempted to put the new firmware on my device it stalled at the last bit of the loading bar. Tried several times to restore it, including restoring back to 4.0, and nothing worked. Sent it in today to mission repair. There is only so much I can do! Apple really needs to step up the game here! Anyone else have this trouble?

Posted by Nick on August 12, 2010 at 7:41 AM (PDT)

Not sure if coincidence but prior to 4.02 my bluetooth vtech handsets were not useable as my voice sounded garbled to other recipient and after update I am coming through clear.  Still need test more see if its consistent.

Posted by jb on August 12, 2010 at 8:39 AM (PDT)

@Nick.

I’m sure you are not new to these forums and jailbreaking. You KNOW not to update to the latest firmware for risk of you losing your jailbreak, don’t you? Apple isn’t to blame here, YOU are. If you had done your homewrork, you would have seen that there is a PATCH for jailbroken iPhone/iPods running iOS4 that fixes the Safari PDF exploit. All you had to do was run Cydia.

Now that you’ve updated to 4.0.2, you can’t go back unless you’ve uploaded your SHSH blobs to the Cydia server. If it makes you feel any better, most of us here don’t really know what SHSH blobs are, but Cydia does it automatically for you if you give it permission to do so. In an attempt to thwart jailbreakers, Apple only signs their latest firmware, making sure you can’t downgrade from the latest firmware.

Your bad.

Posted by ahMEmon on August 12, 2010 at 8:43 AM (PDT)

There is 1 - 2 bars increase for me. usually I’ll get about 1 - 2 bars but now i get 2 - 3 bars in my house.

Posted by Peter on August 12, 2010 at 8:51 AM (PDT)

There’s been a noticeable change, i.e. fewer bars, with iOS 4.0.1.  Places where I had one bar, and was able to make and receive calls, now show “no service.”  Very frustrating!

Posted by Herb on August 12, 2010 at 8:59 AM (PDT)

@ahMEmon, I didn’t say apple was at fault for this.  I just posted a comment telling my experienceand my thoughts. Go troll somewhere else buddy okay!!!! You did not have to reply to my comment you know! If you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say it at all!

Posted by Nick on August 12, 2010 at 9:13 AM (PDT)

@Nick

You had the time and patience to learn how to JAILBREAK your iDevice in the first place, so you should have used the same time and patience to learn how to PROTECT your jailbreak.

“Apple really needs to step up the game here!” sounds like blame to me. Just saying…

Posted by ah on August 12, 2010 at 9:21 AM (PDT)

@Nick, I don’t see where ahMEmon was not being nice, he may not have sugar coated it but he just called you out for what he thought was a gripe against apple. It would be like putting nitrous on your car blow the engine and then blame the manufacturer.

If you comment here, expect a reply, it is kind of how the internet works…welcome to the experience.

Posted by hydra-calm on August 12, 2010 at 9:29 AM (PDT)

I updgraded my 3G to the new 4.0.2 and now when I go into my photo album all of the pictures are black.  I have already done a restore of the phone but still the same issue.  I need help!!!!!

Posted by Kevin on August 12, 2010 at 9:59 AM (PDT)

Whatever. Forget my previous posts. I trust the guys I sent my ipod to. After all, there is a reason buisnesses like those exist. I am not a nerd or geek. I just love technology. I don’t even know what shsh blobs are lol! Only jailbroke it to get multitasking enabled.

Posted by Nick on August 12, 2010 at 10:34 AM (PDT)

Hard to believe Apple would leave users of the first gen iPhone/iTouch vulnerable like that. What was the original iPhone, $599 WITH two-year contract and permanently locked to AT&T just like with the subsidized models?

I too jailbroke my 3G for the multitasking but was disappointed to find a lot of the Cydia apps I used still aren’t compatible with 4.x. Thanks to RecBoot, I was able to revert to 3.1.3. Now that I’ve seen just how iOS4 performs, 3.1.3 may be the final update for me.

Posted by Paul on August 12, 2010 at 12:42 PM (PDT)

I’ve jailbroken my 1st gen iPod Touch in the past, but eventually reverted to the un-jailbroken state due to the hassle of upgrading firmware when jailbroken.

If Apple aren’t offering security patches for the older models, the question of whether to jailbrak or not become a no-brainer.

Posted by Stephen on August 12, 2010 at 2:17 PM (PDT)

Why does everyone think they can’t downgrade to previous iOS? I’ve done it twice. I updated to 4.0.1 on my 3G, realized my booboo, and GOOGLED “how to downgrade iOS”. I bought another used 3G today running 4.0 and have just downgraded it as well. Actually re-syncing as I type this.
Just GOOGLE “HOW TO DOWNGRADE iOS” and find the result from lifehacker.com. Very easy to do, even if you aren’t tech-savvy.

Posted by Leslie on August 12, 2010 at 7:36 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >