Apple releases iOS 4.2 for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch | iLounge News

Apple releases iOS 4.2 for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch

image

As expected, Apple has released iOS 4.2 for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch. The anticipated update, announced during Apple’s September iPod event, brings iOS 4 features such as multitasking and folders to the iPad for the first time, while also adding new features like AirPlay wireless media streaming and AirPrint wireless printing to the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch. Notably, the software update requires iTunes 10.1, and is available now for the iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad, and second-, third-, and fourth-generation iPod touch via the Update feature in iTunes.

« Second-gen Apple TV updated to 4.1

KT to launch iPad in Korea on Nov. 30 »

Comments

Except the download has timed out at least ten times so far and had to be restarted each time, and the estimate is a 7 hour download—when it finally works.

Posted by Spayz on November 22, 2010 at 12:07 PM (PDT)

I downloaded and installed the update with no problems. Phone now shows in iTunes as having Softaware Version 4.2.1 installed. On the phone (3GS), it shows the version as 4.2.1 (8C148a). Haven’t used the phone much since the update, but everything seems okay so far.

Posted by orgel in Falls Church, VA on November 22, 2010 at 12:52 PM (PDT)

No problem with either update although airprint is pretty much useless unless I can find a printer it is compatible with. Not sure how useful the other features will be for me yet. I was really hoping airprint would be the magic. So far, it is not.

Posted by traugh on November 22, 2010 at 12:52 PM (PDT)

I have an iPhone 4 and an iMac.  I backed the phone up with no problem, downloaded the update, and attempted to update the phone.  Now I get error 1013 and the phone is stuck in recovery mode.

I’ve rebooted both the computer and the phone, but 5 attempts end up with the same error.

Posted by geekette on November 22, 2010 at 1:21 PM (PDT)

And I found the problem - we had done some magic incantation to back rev an old iPhone, and forgot to set things back correctly.  Typical UBD…

Posted by geekette on November 22, 2010 at 2:32 PM (PDT)

Update downloaded and installed apparently flawlessly, but I now have no music or videos on the iPhone, despite the phone still being full.  The iPod section registers no content, despite other apps registering the music as being there, but they are unable to play anything.

Posted by dimmer on November 22, 2010 at 4:31 PM (PDT)

dimmer (post #6) - your database in your iPod is damaged.

Go into iTunes, add a song or album (some kind of content, doesnt matter what it is, just as long as it forces iTunes to rebuild the database on your iPod) and then sync.

Now when you look in your iPod, everything should be ok (and you can simply remove the content you added if you want).

Posted by Mindi on November 22, 2010 at 5:44 PM (PDT)

I just installed the update and so far, I notice that the Videos take a bit too long to open up, or they don’t even open at all.

Also, before the update, I had 3401 songs and after the update, it went upto 3505. I don’t know how that happened…

Posted by Kevin on November 22, 2010 at 7:14 PM (PDT)

1. The mute button, which used to be the unlock button doesn’t do anything.  Sound still comes out whether it’s turned on or off.
2.  Unable to sync all my pictures.

Posted by Gellie on November 22, 2010 at 10:17 PM (PDT)

@Mindi Worked thanks!

Posted by Dimmer on November 23, 2010 at 2:23 AM (PDT)

Backup took 1 hour.
Download took a couple of minutes.
Install failed after a few minutes and called for restore.
Restore froze(in middle of progress bar), took three plus hours to unfreeze.
Sync took 30 minutes.

Posted by gear on November 23, 2010 at 3:47 AM (PDT)

installed update..battery drains at twice the rate as before…here we go again!!

Posted by robert on November 23, 2010 at 5:56 AM (PDT)

Overnight the iPad download completed and in the morning I updated the iPad all OK

But for my iPhone4, the update downloaded in about 15 minutes, and the update failed, bricked the phone into update mode.

A visit to my local Apple store (fortunately only a five minute walk away) and they squeezed me in with an impromptu Genius help session, restored 4.1 and updated to 4.1. Back home and restored my last back up (which was done as part of the failed upgrade this morning).

All OK so far, but AirPrint does not recognise any of my networked printers, have to look at it lat when I’m back home

Posted by spayz on November 23, 2010 at 6:27 AM (PDT)

Updated my iPhone 4 to 4.2.1. All went well. I wanted the AirPlay functionality so I tried streaming to an Airport Express which worked fine, until at the same time I tried to use another app to read news or use the Mail app and that’s when the streaming stopped. I was able to repeat this a couple of times and eventually gave up disappointed.

Posted by indyracing on November 23, 2010 at 7:58 AM (PDT)

On Apples website it shows the iPod touch 2G having custome home screen wallpapers…But it is not included in the update…for what its worth…

Posted by Micah Benke on November 23, 2010 at 7:59 AM (PDT)

Really curious to hear from iPhone3G users on 4.2.1. Has it really fixed performance issues? Aside from Unified Inbox and iBooks compatibility, I didn’t really see anything in 4.1 that made it worth putting up with slower performance.

Posted by Paul on November 23, 2010 at 9:24 AM (PDT)

I am liking the update so far, it downloaded and installed without any problem to my iPad and iPod Touch.
The folders are good and airplay works well.
I also like the unified in box for emails and the small changes to Safari.

The best change for me is the improved editing in Calendar, I used to get very frustrated if I created an appointment and had put it in the wrong calendar, now I can change calendar in appointments.
The only slightly frustrating thing is e colour palette used now, the calendar colours are much more pastel and less vivid, I preferred the old colours.
But that is a minor point.

Overall I say well done Apple, a good job and and a worthwhile update.

Posted by Cyberman in nr Heathrow, London on November 23, 2010 at 12:54 PM (PDT)

update has bricked my iPhone 3G. iTunes won’t even detect my iPhone.

Posted by immy on November 23, 2010 at 7:00 PM (PDT)

I tried last night and this morning and it seemingly downloads the file for 40 minutes then it gives me a timed out error. I guess that should be a warning to me.

Using: iPhone 4
Windows 7(64)

Posted by Casino IT Gal on November 24, 2010 at 7:55 AM (PDT)

I downloaded the software updates and my iPad says (in the “settings”) I have version 4.2.1
But I’ll be darned if I can see ANY difference in the thing. I have no idea how to create folders or multi task. something is amiss or I’m an idiot. Probably a little of both. Any advice will be appreciated.
Jim Wunderle
Springfield, MO

Posted by J Wunderle on November 24, 2010 at 2:00 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >