Apple releases iOS 4.3 for iPhone, iPod touch, iPad | iLounge News

Apple releases iOS 4.3 for iPhone, iPod touch, iPad

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, March 9, 2011
News Categories: Apple, iPad, iPhone, iPod

Apple has released iOS 4.3 for the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, third- and fourth-generation iPod touch, and iPad ahead of its scheduled date of March 11. The update includes a number of new features, such as improved Safari performance, improved support for AirPlay video and audio from third-party apps and Safari, the ability to customize the iPad switch for mute or orientation lock, Personal Hotspot cellular data sharing for the GSM iPhone 4, and iTunes Home Sharing, which allows users to wirelessly stream content from iTunes to an iPad, iPhone or iPod touch over their home network. iOS 4.3 is available now via the Update feature in iTunes.

« MLB.tv coming to second-generation Apple TV

iPad 2 Cases: XtremeMac, Hard Candy, Scosche, more »

Comments

Alas, no more iOS updates for my trusty 2G Touch (sniffle, sniffle}

Posted by rockmyplimsoul on March 9, 2011 at 11:35 AM (PDT)

Is this update for the Verizon iPhone 4 as well, or not?

Posted by Clint on March 9, 2011 at 11:41 AM (PDT)

Also, how about ATV? The other iLounge article about MLB references 4.3 for ATV (and provides a link to it) so it must also be included. Don’t know about the CDMA iPhone, although I believe it was mentioned in last week’s address that it would not be available (yet).

Posted by rockmyplimsoul on March 9, 2011 at 12:21 PM (PDT)

#2,

The update is not available for the CMDA iPhone.

Posted by Charles Starrett on March 9, 2011 at 12:30 PM (PDT)

As far as I can tell, I can not access movies from my iTunes library via my iPad, or they start playing on my MacBook Pro. Why in the world would I want movies to play on my MBP if I want to access them via iPad?? Or am I missing something in the settings? Please help!!

Posted by Carlos Z. on March 9, 2011 at 12:38 PM (PDT)

So is Multi-tasking gestures totally scrapped?

Posted by estudioG on March 9, 2011 at 12:46 PM (PDT)

Under “A” in artists in my home sharing tab on my iPhone are all of the artists beginning with “S”. The cataloging system is totally screwed up.

Posted by ManiA on March 9, 2011 at 1:38 PM (PDT)

Since the update, I am not able to sync anymore! Is there a setting I can change? When I attach my ipod or iphone now, nothing happens, its not even recognized. I tried a different cable and test my USB port and its fine for other devices. Any suggestions?

Posted by Bklyn524 on March 9, 2011 at 5:06 PM (PDT)

@Carlos Z.

You need to go into settings on the iPad under iPod and Videos and put your Home Sharing userid and password.

Then in these apps, there is a toolbar at the top that lets you select Shared.  Once you have done that you should have access to all your shared items from itunes.

Good luck, its nice.  It makes having only a 16Gb iPad much more functional.  Albeit Air Video gives you more choice.

Posted by Andrew on March 9, 2011 at 10:18 PM (PDT)

Got 4.3 on my iPhone 4 and iPad and everything seems to be fine except for one problem. When using the home sharing feature, I can play everything from iTunes from my iMac using my iPad albeit some erratic cover errors but when I try to do the same thing with my iPhone, music, movies and podcasts show up but when I look up TV shows, the only ones that show up are the ones I purchased thru the iTunes store. Anybody else got this problem?

Posted by Rowald on March 10, 2011 at 4:33 AM (PDT)

Called AT&T to enable the personal hotspot feature on my iPhone 4. If I do this I lose my unlimited data for the phone itself. Peeved. :(

Posted by Billy on March 10, 2011 at 8:56 AM (PDT)

No major issues with 4.3 on my touch except that now many screen elements in the iOS UI flicker intermittently until they are refreshed by something.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on March 11, 2011 at 10:58 AM (PDT)

same iOS UI flicker intermittently on my 4th Gen ipod Touch

Posted by Charles on March 12, 2011 at 5:36 PM (PDT)

Screen flicker ...
me too!

Posted by Pgillam on March 13, 2011 at 5:17 PM (PDT)

I have a 4th generation ipod and downloaded the 4.3 update.  Now the App Store and Safari apps don’t work as well as the Discovery News app.  Thanks, Apple, great jog of screwing up the update.

Posted by Culhaven on March 14, 2011 at 7:15 PM (PDT)

same iOS UI flicker intermittently on my 4th Gen iPod Touch :(

Posted by Ed Grant on March 14, 2011 at 10:28 PM (PDT)

The top of my screen flickers sometimes also. Just noticed this weekend.

Posted by Chaddy on March 14, 2011 at 10:50 PM (PDT)

Sure am glad I only downloaded the update, and didn’t install it, heh

Posted by G on March 15, 2011 at 4:48 AM (PDT)

I have the flickering after the update too!!

Posted by K on March 15, 2011 at 7:43 PM (PDT)

Dang I’m glad I didn’t install it LOL

Posted by Inky on March 16, 2011 at 8:41 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >