Apple releases iOS 4.3.1 for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch | iLounge News

Apple releases iOS 4.3.1 for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch

image

Apple has released iOS 4.3.1 for the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPad, iPad 2, third-, and fourth-generation iPod touch. According to Apple’s release notes, the update fixes an occasional graphics glitch on the fourth-generation iPod touch, resolves bugs related to activating and connecting to some cellular networks, fixes an image flicker issue when using the Apple Digital AV Adapter with some TVs, and resolves an issue authenticating with some enterprise web services, among other big fixes and improvements. iOS 4.3.1 is available now via the Update feature in iTunes.

« MeMap provides easy Facebook location sharing

Fring adds dual-camera support, in-app purchasing »

Comments

I’m sure it’s not for the CDMA iPhone, though :(

Posted by Clint on March 25, 2011 at 11:21 AM (PDT)

I just downloaded the 4.3 update for my 4th gen itouch and it was 675 mb…Does itunes store these updates on my harddrive or just update and erase?

I don’t want to have a bunch of 1/2 GB downloads filling up my hard drive if I don’t need them.

Posted by cgar on March 25, 2011 at 11:27 AM (PDT)

as you download new updates old updates are deleted.

Posted by Shameless1 on March 25, 2011 at 11:49 AM (PDT)

For real though. Why are these updates always so HUGE? :o

Posted by Clint on March 25, 2011 at 12:07 PM (PDT)

Each update is the complete firmware package, unique to each model, rather than just a “patch” of what has changed. The same package can be used to restore the device entirely from scratch, so it’s worth keeping around in case you ever have a problem.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on March 25, 2011 at 12:34 PM (PDT)

@ Jesse

But doesn’t crApple stop signing FWs once a new one is released?  I keep my old FWs because I still use my 3G but aren’t iP4s and 3GSs stuck once they are upgraded unless you use Tiny Umbrella to save your blobs?

Posted by The Digital Alchemist on March 25, 2011 at 1:09 PM (PDT)

Yes, that’s correct.  To be clear I meant the current one is worth keeping around.  Murphy’s law suggests that the one time you desperately need to restore your device you either won’t have an Internet connection or you’ll run into problems downloading it again wink

Older ones won’t do you much good unless you typically play around with jailbreaking and have taken steps to preserve certain signature data from the previous releases.  Further, even before Apple starting invalidating older signatures, you couldn’t easily downgrade an iPhone anyway due to the baseband firmware.  Regardless, however, as Shamless1 correctly points out, iTunes clears out the old ones whenever it downloads a new one anyway.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on March 25, 2011 at 3:29 PM (PDT)

I always cringe whenever Apple releases a software update, especially when they don’t provide anything really useful like this one. I know Apple likes to think people can just download as much as they want, but for people like me who only have a 12GB/month broadband cap, all these 600MB+ downloads do put a massive hole in my download limit.

Posted by Michael W on March 25, 2011 at 3:34 PM (PDT)

Im hoping they fixed the excess batter drain many users were reporting, myself included.  In a previous post I mentioned that I think the increased battery drain was caused by the camera constantly using the gps even if app wasn’t open or taking a picture.  The symbol does not appear next to the battery symbol as it normally would.  You can confirm this by going into your location services menu on your iphone and scrolling down the list to camera.  note, when an app is actively using the gps, the gps symbol will appear next to that apps name on the list.  In my case, despite the camera app being completely removed from background and a reboot, the gps symbol was still displayed next to its name on the list.  So I simply turned off location services for the camera and my battery has been fine.  Check your phones out both before and after you upgrade and see if you notice this bug.

Posted by Miles P.O. on March 26, 2011 at 10:49 PM (PDT)

I guess not everything Apple upgrades are useless. Take the iPhone time tracking application, it’s very useful for my business.

Posted by Mario S. Baskin on March 28, 2011 at 6:19 AM (PDT)

12 gigs cap? Time to get another provider or steal your neighbours wi-fi for a bit..

Posted by sid32 on March 28, 2011 at 8:25 AM (PDT)

And you know, no one forces you to update your phone. My wife’s 3G is still running iOS 3.something….. works fine for her. You don’t have to update it if you don’t want to.

Posted by Eric on March 29, 2011 at 7:01 AM (PDT)

Has anyone been finding that since the update the ‘slide to unlock’ function is playing up?  I have a BRAND NEW iphone 4, as in it’s 2 weeks old.  it was working fine when i wanted to unlock the phone, but since i updated it, it wont allow me to unlock it first time, every time.  just wondered if anyone else has had the same issue?

Posted by Dean on April 1, 2011 at 12:21 AM (PDT)

To #9 Miles P.O.: You don’t quite have the location services information right.  If the symbol isn’t showing in the status bar by the battery, nothing is using location services.  Any app that has requested your location in the _last_24_hours_ shows the symbol in the Location Services setting screen.  It doesn’t indicate that all of those apps are currently using location services.

Posted by Grey Bird on April 4, 2011 at 10:23 AM (PDT)

Since i updated my 3gs with 4.3.1 with itunes, the battery life has drastically dropped.What used to work for 30-36 hours is working only for 12-14 hrs. Can someone guide on this pls…............?

Posted by Rajkumar on April 6, 2011 at 9:29 PM (PDT)

As soon as i downloaded this update , songs began to dissapear as in thin air ,i dont understand what to do

Posted by Samarjit on April 16, 2011 at 6:15 AM (PDT)