Apple releases iOS 5 for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch | iLounge News

Apple releases iOS 5 for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch

image

As expected, Apple today released iOS 5 for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. The anticipated update offers over 200 new features, including a new Notifications system, Reminders app, Twitter integration, Camera enhancements, full support for iCloud, Wi-Fi Sync, PC-less setup, and more. iOS 5 is available now for the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2, third-generation iPod touch, and fourth-generation iPod touch via the Update feature in iTunes 10.5.

« Apple updates iWork apps for iOS 5

Apple TV software updated for iOS 5 »

Comments

Downloading now, hit a few minutes after noon CST.

Going slow slow slow but I expected that!!!

Posted by Mike on October 12, 2011 at 10:16 AM (PDT)

And to clarify my own post, you will have to commit that 10+ minutes just to find if it will go forward *each* time you try. After four tries, I decided it was time to give up.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on October 12, 2011 at 12:44 PM (PDT)

Word of warning: Because of Apple’s extreme paranoia and their inability to gracefully program the updater to handle what’s going on, here’s what you will probably encounter right now if you wait through the download:

1. A full(er) backup of your device (my 32GB takes about 6-7 minutes. You cannot skip this.
2. The installer package will be unpacked, another minute or two.
3. You will see a message about verifying the restore package with Apple
4. You will get an unknown error -3200 (basically seems to mean iTunes couldn’t reach the appropriate server at Apple) and the whole process will abort.

It’s harmless to your device, but you will have to commit a good 10 or more minutes to roll the dice on whether there’s an authorization server that isn’t currently hammered past capacity.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on October 12, 2011 at 12:46 PM (PDT)

I’m sure this update is great, however, I have been trying for hours to get the download to work.  It’s very disappointing to wait for so long for iOS 5 to be available and I only get errors.  Did they not expect this volume?  First a lackluster product release, now this…

Posted by Spaceways on October 12, 2011 at 3:21 PM (PDT)

I also had problems trying to get it to download, but i finally got lucky and now have it installed. im pretty impressed with it so far but yeah, apple really needs to ramp up their servers before releasing updates etc…

Posted by JBT on October 12, 2011 at 3:47 PM (PDT)

I down loaded IOS 5 ok however can not access camera from lock screen
Another question if I backup phone with iCloud can I still a manual
Backup with iTunes on my PC?

Posted by Renate Schuch on October 12, 2011 at 10:30 PM (PDT)

I too cannot access the camera from lock screen on my iPad 2 (&, yes, I’ve tapped the home button twice, bringing up the music controls but no camera access).
Does this feature not wrk on an iPad?
Thanks!

Posted by sweetestbaboon on October 13, 2011 at 6:17 AM (PDT)

The camera thing works on the touch/iPhone fine, so if it’s not a bug, consider it one of their device specific refinements wink

———

Feeling a bit let down. Spent well over 4 hours not counting the download to get my touch updated and I’ve pretty much got nothing I would call a net improvement. The notifications center is a marginal improvement, but the video podcasts no longer show up under the podcasts section of the iTunes/Music app so you need to use two different apps to find your podcasts. The wireless sync only seems to work about 10% of the time, and that’s after you’ve kicked your computer a few times so you might as well have plugged it in anyhow, and the iCloud stuff was evidently conceived and implemented by someone who’s never used an iDevice: the either the cloud OR your computer is just stupid. Let me back up to my computer AND the cloud. If I’m on my home wi-fi or plugged in, I certainly don’t want to wait on Apple’s servers, but I’d like the security of an offsite backup, but to do that, I have to plug it into my computer and repeatedly toggle the backup settings while unplugging and syncing the device repeatedly to achieve something that should have been completely automated.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on October 13, 2011 at 7:02 AM (PDT)

CM: Even with iCloud sync, for a local backup, I read that you should be able to just plug in the gadget to iTunes, right-click and manually choose backup. (I haven’t switched to iCloud from MobileMe, so I cannot test that.)

Posted by Marsha on October 13, 2011 at 9:42 AM (PDT)

Anyone else have this problem: My photos used to be sorted by date taken, but after I updated my OS, they’re sorted by name. I used to like looking at pictures in the order they were taken, but now the numeric filenames placed on the pictures by the cameras (some of which rollover back to 0001 every day) means a somewhat random sorting of the pictures. (Yes, I know filename sorting isn’t random, but you get the picture).

Posted by Vick on October 13, 2011 at 12:16 PM (PDT)

I updated,and a large part of my music shows the incorrect artwork now. It was fine before! Anybody else have this issue? Solutions?

Posted by Nate on October 13, 2011 at 6:14 PM (PDT)

...and now seeing the removal of podcast features including “get more episodes”, the 1/2, 2x speed button, the blue “have I listen to this episode” indicator, we have actually gone backwards people. At the very least bring back the get episode and 2x buttons. I have a dream to wake up in the morning and have my daily podcast waiting for me on the lock screen via a notification!

Posted by MRS on October 14, 2011 at 11:46 AM (PDT)

Wifi sync is making smart playlist errors.  For instance, I have a smart playlist that picks 5 random tunes I haven’t listened to in more the 12 months, rated 3 star or less.  Just checked it now and it contains the last 5 tracks played, which are all 4 or 5 star??

Posted by Mark on October 16, 2011 at 1:22 AM (PDT)