Apple releases iOS 5.0.1 for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch | iLounge News

Apple releases iOS 5.0.1 for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch

Apple has released iOS 5.0.1 for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. According to Apple’s release notes, the update contains bug fixes and improvements, including fixes for bugs affecting battery life, the addition of Multitasking Gestures to the original iPad, fixes for bugs with Documents in the Cloud, and improvements to voice recognition for Australian users using dictation. iOS 5.0.1 is compatible with the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad, iPad 2, third-generation iPod touch, and fourth-generation iPod touch, and is available now via the update feature in iTunes or as an over-the-air update. To update your iOS device over-the-air, open Settings, tap on General, and tap on Software Update.

« Satarii intros Swivl photo dock for iPhone, iPod touch

Apple patent points to iPod nano/shuffle speaker »

Comments

Love the fact I’m able to update over air on the phone itself now. So awesome.

Posted by vultr3 on November 10, 2011 at 11:41 AM (PDT)

#1- Have you done it yet? I was wondering who’s brave enough to try this. Given Apple’s track record on iOS update problems, I think I’ll stick with the old-fashioned way of downloading and installing as separate operations.

Posted by rockmyplimsoul on November 10, 2011 at 12:09 PM (PDT)

#2-worked fine for me.

Posted by C on November 10, 2011 at 1:03 PM (PDT)

A) That was a fast release!
B) Over-the-Air update was seamless and quick and just plain awesome.
C) The fact that my 1st generation iPad, Einstein, has multitasking gestures has made my day :o) Woot!

Posted by Karrie on November 10, 2011 at 1:53 PM (PDT)

Didn’t fix spotlight search. Maybe next time….

Posted by beetsnotbeats on November 10, 2011 at 2:25 PM (PDT)

Worked perfect!

Posted by Renate Schuch on November 10, 2011 at 2:31 PM (PDT)

I’m trying the OTA update now (9:55PM). It can’t possibly be any more borked than installing 5.0 was and, once again, somebody’s got to be the guinea pig in my household…

And @10:18 it was successfully completed. Don’t think it saved me any time, but the process did work without any monkey wrenches.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on November 10, 2011 at 8:20 PM (PDT)

I too had my reservations about updating the “new” way.  What’s the worst that could happen?  Have to start over?  Worked flawlessly, took about 19 minutes from start to finish!

Posted by SpecialK41 in Texas on November 10, 2011 at 8:22 PM (PDT)

I tried the OTA over the air with a mix of expectation an scare…...It worked perfectly with no problem at all.
The only thing I noticed is that the information related with the expected remaining download time is completely useless.
In my case moved during the download from a minimum of 21 minutes to “More than 5 hours”....In the ends it tools about half an hour.

Posted by smiduri on November 11, 2011 at 3:28 AM (PDT)

I started the download on my iMac, and a couple of hours later got an error message there was a failure.  Started over again, and it zipped through in about 90 minutes.  Then it got to the point of extracting files…I think that’s what it said.  5 hours later, still extracting.  I stopped, and started again.  Seemed to be going much faster this time, but then got another error message, which was not listed in support as one of the error message numbers that I might encounter.  At that point I restarted the computer, and hooked my iPad (1st gen.) up via USB, and this time everything went smoothly.  Glad to see that over the air worked of most of you folks.

Posted by jibbs41 in Boston, MA on November 11, 2011 at 7:04 PM (PDT)

The OTA update worked flawlessly for me. From start to finish it took 12 minutes for my 32 GB iPhone 4 and 16 minutes for my 64 GB iPad 2.

Posted by Jim on November 11, 2011 at 8:03 PM (PDT)