Apple releases iOS 7 to the public | iLounge News

Apple releases iOS 7 to the public

As expected, Apple released its iOS 7 operating system to the public just ahead of 1 p.m. Eastern today. iOS 7 is currently available as an over-the-air software update in the Settings app.

image

iLounge has posted a full review of iOS 7 here, and an Instant Expert: Secrets and Features of iOS 7 tutorial, as well.

« Apple sets iOS 7.0.1 update for new iPhones

Space gray iPad mini 2 shell leaked? »

Comments

Got message that you need at least 3.1 GB free before you can install the new iOS 7.

Posted by Peter Lau on September 18, 2013 at 1:32 PM (CDT)

Finally cleared off the 3.1GB of space, only to get Software Update Failed - An error occurred downloading iOS 7.0.  Close or Settings.  Hmmm…

Posted by Tim on September 18, 2013 at 1:44 PM (CDT)

I get the same Update Failed message as Tim.  When I hook it up to iTunes (11.1.0.126) I get “This version of the iPhone software (6.1.4) is the current version.” Looks like the waiting continues…

Posted by John on September 18, 2013 at 1:56 PM (CDT)

Just sucessfully updated my iPhone 5 to ios 7. Works fine.

Posted by Jill on September 18, 2013 at 2:13 PM (CDT)

Servers are obviously overloaded by overwhelming demand - a good lesson for anyone who doesn’t understand that server bandwidth is finite.  Imagine 100 people trying to enter the same door at once - many will get an “error”.

Keep trying or try again later - my update started after about five tries.

Posted by John Miller on September 18, 2013 at 2:20 PM (CDT)

Since I’m still waiting for my update to finish, I thought I’d ask those of you who happened to have it installed. Since it requires 3.1GB of space, and it shows the app size is 780+MB, how much did it end up taking after the install was finished? I had to remove a bunch of larger music related apps to get this going, and am just curious about what I might have after it’s done.

Posted by Miguel P on September 18, 2013 at 2:40 PM (CDT)

I have the iPad 4 and I get a message that my sotware is up to date with 6.3.1. It doesn’t even give me the option to update.

Posted by Tom G on September 18, 2013 at 4:38 PM (CDT)

This roll-out is a disaster:  in addition to failed downloads, the install isn’t taking, leaving people with non-functional phones.

Currently stuck in an endless activation loop on a three-year-old phone, no phone service, and until Apple picks up the phone, no way out of tapping ‘try again’ every 80 seconds - or else going back to the beginning and working my way back to being stuck here again.

Count me out of the next 2 or 3 OTA os upgrades, thanks.

Posted by Pashtun Wally on September 18, 2013 at 5:43 PM (CDT)

Well the update took forever, not really crazy about the new ‘flat’ look but whatever…
BIG problem is that I can not resize (move and scale) my original screensaver of my car.  It was fine before, after the update it zoomed.  It wont let me do a resize.  It just reverts to the zoomed version. Definitely a bug and yeah, I’m bugged.

Posted by Mark T on September 18, 2013 at 5:59 PM (CDT)

Installed on my iPad3 & see some of the images in the Photo app don’t scale properly & cut off at the top, never an issue before. You can pinch them down to fit, but they don’t stay that way. I use the iPad to highlight my graphic work and and this is a big issue for me and I would suspect others. It seems random because in the 5000 plus images it occurs on only Portrait images and in about 1 of 20 or so. Again, same images as before and never a problem. I wonder, Mark if you issue is somehow related?

Posted by Bob F on September 18, 2013 at 6:42 PM (CDT)