Apple releases iPhone 2.1 Software Update | iLounge News

Apple releases iPhone 2.1 Software Update

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, September 12, 2008
News Categories: iPhone

image

As promised during the Let’s Rock event, Apple today released its iPhone 2.1 Software Update, the latest update to the software for iPhone and iPhone 3G. According to Apple, the new software features a variety of improvements, including a decrease in call set-up failures and call drops, significantly improved battery life for most users, dramatically reduced time to backup in iTunes, improved email reliability, notably when fetching email from POP and Exchange accounts, faster installation of 3rd party applications, fixes for bugs causing hangs and crashes if the user has lots of 3rd party applicaitons, improved performance in text messaging, faster loading and searching of contacts, improved accuracy of the 3G signal strength display, repeat alert up to two additional times for incoming text messages, option to wipe data after ten failed passcode attempts, and Genius playlist creation. The iPhone 2.1 Software Update weighs in at 237.8MB for the iPhone 3G and 231MB for the original iPhone and is available now through the Update feature in iTunes.

« iLounge’s comprehensive nano 4G review now available

Tunewear unveils accessories for iPod nano 4G, touch 2G »

Comments

Hi,

I am currently at work and really want to update the new firmware, but my copy of itunes here is not synched to the phone and i want to know if this update wipes your music off the phone, it will be such an ### if i have to try and navigate the tube home with no music.

i would appreciate and awnser so i can go and update or not as soon as possible.

ps i love the new genius function on itunes, it works so well with my huge music collection.

Posted by beef on September 12, 2008 at 7:06 AM (PDT)

Update failed!!!! on a pc crashed itunes 8 arrggg…

Posted by Anthony Kyriazis on September 12, 2008 at 7:14 AM (PDT)

ok i got to impatient to wait for any one to respond so i ahve just gone and done it,
fingers crossed

Posted by beef on September 12, 2008 at 7:34 AM (PDT)

haha, done. and i still have all my music and it didnt crash,

it did take ages thou.

Posted by beef on September 12, 2008 at 7:46 AM (PDT)

Hi everybody, just updated here in Belgium, everything ok no music wipe nothing wrong so far did not take too long to update, it depends on what you mean by too long, 2 minutes? 5 minutes?

Posted by Patrick on September 12, 2008 at 7:49 AM (PDT)

@beef: Music and such is not wiped.

Backups on this version are much faster.  Mine were taking 4 - 5 hours with only 8GB used on a 16GB model.  After updating this morning, a backup took less than 10 minutes!

Posted by Bob Reck in Baltimore, MD on September 12, 2008 at 8:05 AM (PDT)

[Bug] Similarly-titled albums (“Greatest Hits”) are no longer grouped separately in the iPod app.  Aaargh! :(

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on September 12, 2008 at 8:16 AM (PDT)

yeah cheesr i found out about the music not being wiped the risky way (ie by just doing it).

one thing, i thought this update was to include a version of genius. but i cant seem to find any option to it. Am i being very stupid here and just notseeing the option for it or does it not have it?

anyone else worked it out yet?

Posted by beef on September 12, 2008 at 8:25 AM (PDT)

I installed and everything looks great. The Genius button is there.
.... But when are they going to enable to change the email notification sound?? I had previously jailbroken my iPhone just to be able to change this sound!

Posted by KH on September 12, 2008 at 8:42 AM (PDT)

@beef

Genius is located in Playlists, just scroll to the very top.

Posted by deckard13 on September 12, 2008 at 9:29 AM (PDT)

I am updating now. I so excited. I herd that in the 2.1 update or something about it. That it was to add GPS UPDATES. IDK what that means but I herd something.

Has anyone herd or know if anything is different or added with the GPS? I will add more if i find anything.

Posted by Nathan From North Carolina on September 12, 2008 at 9:59 AM (PDT)

Will the iphone stop crashing after update ???? ( i am so tired of re-syncing)  and someone pleeease explain the “genius” being added on ?? (genius on iphone or new itunes update?)

Posted by Pami on September 12, 2008 at 10:35 AM (PDT)

I hope the firmware update for iPod classics gets here soon as well!!!

@Galley in Greenville: Yup, every album with the same name in your library are gonna appear as one on Coverflow/Albums unless you rename them or change the names on the “Sort Album” field.

For example, I used “Greatest Hits GnR”, “Greatest Hits Bjork”, “Greatest Hits Bowie” and so on, on the “Sort Album” field. The album field can remain unchanged, but this way, your iPod will know they are actually different albums when it first looks at the “Album” field.

Posted by Arturo Lugo on September 12, 2008 at 11:49 AM (PDT)

@Arturo, if it works in iTunes and Remote.app, then why can’t it work on the iPhone and Apple TV? I’ll try the Sort Album field this weekend.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on September 12, 2008 at 1:07 PM (PDT)

Mine backed - up for an hour then failed to update. I had to restart my MAC Book and restore my iphone

Posted by Whitney on September 12, 2008 at 1:46 PM (PDT)

Hey Nathan from NC,

The word is “HEARD”

Do you ever “her” something? So you wouldn’t “herd” something in the past tense, right?

For the record, I did no herd anything about the GPS and I knot herring anything about it now

Posted by Fernandez on September 12, 2008 at 2:05 PM (PDT)

This update fracked up my iphone also, had to do a restore to update.

Posted by steve on September 12, 2008 at 3:02 PM (PDT)

Update 2.1 crashed several times because of an “unexpected error” while it was backing up my data (!) I tried it again after removing all applications, music and podcasts, and it was successful at last (???)  I had about 550 songs, 1 podcast and 17 applications installed. Now I have to re-sync my data.  Something is not right here…

Posted by Dimos on September 12, 2008 at 3:21 PM (PDT)

Updated to 2.1 No problems.  took about 15 minutes to download and update.  Very happy so far.  Everything seems to be much more responsive.  I hope this is not just a side effect of a “clean update”.  Also, the internet is 2x as fast as it was before the update.  I get 4 bar 3g in my house, always have, but now it seems to work even faster, and more reliably.
I hope this has finally fixed all the “issues”... Tired of feeling like I’m running this phone on beta software.
Also, calls seem to be better, connecting more reliably.

Keeping my fingers crossed

Posted by Chris on September 12, 2008 at 5:06 PM (PDT)

It’s been rock solid all day.  It would have been nice to have this on day one.  But to Apple’s credit they continue to work on resolving the issues.

Hopefully cut and paste is coming soon.

Posted by youngjm on September 12, 2008 at 6:01 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >