Apple releases iPhone 2.1 Software Update | iLounge News

Apple releases iPhone 2.1 Software Update

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, September 12, 2008
News Categories: iPhone

image

As promised during the Let’s Rock event, Apple today released its iPhone 2.1 Software Update, the latest update to the software for iPhone and iPhone 3G. According to Apple, the new software features a variety of improvements, including a decrease in call set-up failures and call drops, significantly improved battery life for most users, dramatically reduced time to backup in iTunes, improved email reliability, notably when fetching email from POP and Exchange accounts, faster installation of 3rd party applications, fixes for bugs causing hangs and crashes if the user has lots of 3rd party applicaitons, improved performance in text messaging, faster loading and searching of contacts, improved accuracy of the 3G signal strength display, repeat alert up to two additional times for incoming text messages, option to wipe data after ten failed passcode attempts, and Genius playlist creation. The iPhone 2.1 Software Update weighs in at 237.8MB for the iPhone 3G and 231MB for the original iPhone and is available now through the Update feature in iTunes.

« iLounge’s comprehensive nano 4G review now available

Tunewear unveils accessories for iPod nano 4G, touch 2G »

Comments

Sorry for the miss type. I was at work and in a hurry. I had heard something about the GPS. So IDK, I was just wondering.

Posted by Nathan Hadden on September 12, 2008 at 6:44 PM (PDT)

i updated this morn at about 7:00 am - when i came back from my morning workout about 9:00 am it was done.

this is the first time since i’ve owned my iphone 3g that i have not - let me repeat - have hot had to charge the phone 2 times during the day - its 8:00 pm now and it is still showing 3/4 charged.

what ever they did to help the battery - worked.

also, dropped call problem seems to be better and 3g seems to be more reliable.

now if they would just add a few more thing like a spell checker and real navigation i would be a totally happy camper

Posted by ike botnick on September 12, 2008 at 8:03 PM (PDT)

Found a bug. It appears that if you have more than 20 audiobooks. The player (iPod app) would crash and go back to the home screen.

Posted by Itsik Aviad on September 12, 2008 at 8:12 PM (PDT)

battery life seems much better here too!!!

Posted by walleck on September 13, 2008 at 12:06 AM (PDT)

Does anyone know if AIM over 3G is disabled now?
It hasn’t worked on my phone since I updated.
I’ve tried it in different areas.

Is anyone having this problem?

Posted by travis on September 13, 2008 at 11:23 AM (PDT)

#25 - There is an update for AIM to resolve the problems with connections.

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on September 13, 2008 at 5:24 PM (PDT)

2.1 update failed.
Next the restore failed.
Have tried manually selecting previous .ipsw - failed.
Have tried about 10 times varying computer, usb port etc - failed.
iPhone was then locked in recovery mode.
Contacted Apple and telco and it seemed they were reading from the support page on apple.com.

So, I have jailbroken it just to get a functioning telephone.

Well done Apple.

Posted by Don on September 14, 2008 at 1:45 AM (PDT)

I updated the day before yestreday, and it went smoothly.  I never had problems with the 3G network, so can’t comment on that (I’m in Canada).  I have a good comment and a bad comment:

A) GOOD: Battery life is MUCH better - I’ve now gone 24 hours without charging and with some usage including Wi-Fi on and Push on and I still have 4/5 battery full.  Prior to this, I was lucky if it would go the full day (even with limited use).

B) BAD: Podcast playing - why does it automatically jump to the next podcast when a podcast is finished playing?  I can’t find a way for it to jump back to the menu when a podcast is finished.  Anyone have a solution?

Posted by FunkyMan on September 14, 2008 at 4:12 AM (PDT)

And of course the update applications bug STILL EXISTS !

Posted by MilMascaras on September 14, 2008 at 6:37 PM (PDT)

Yay.  it is finally here and I the best part that it does with itunes is gives you app percentage as well as music, videos, etc.  I have been waiting for this and the in-phone feature set and bug fixes have been working so far.

Posted by Dan on September 14, 2008 at 9:30 PM (PDT)

I’m pretty sure this wasn’t available before.  But I did the update (no problems) and now custom ringtones can now be used for alarms.

Posted by Ðerek on September 15, 2008 at 9:28 AM (PDT)

I updated last night and before i barely had network coverage here on the military installation, now i get 3G more and I’ve seen that if i moove around in the bldg it switched to the edge network pretty fast.

im impressed so far. good job apple

Posted by dennis on September 15, 2008 at 9:32 AM (PDT)

My iphone was working fine with my mm50 logitech ipod speakers but after upgrade to 2.1; my 2 iphones (wife and mine) dosent sound thoght the mm5 anymore… the air plane mode “suggestion” pops but after that nothing… i guess logitech is gonna sell more speakers thanks to some stupid “work with iphone 2.1” logo in the box, and then 2,5, 3G, ipod plus, iphone classic… ipod millenium…

has anybody suffer this?

bad english… sorry not my native tongue.

Posted by Rene Alex on September 15, 2008 at 11:12 AM (PDT)

ARGHHHHHH!!!!

Apple, what is your problem?
When I tried to to install the update, it took forever and then said update failed. What?! It was at the spinning wheel screen and I had to let it die and now I plugged it back in and it said it was in recovery mode, and now I have to restore it. It is finishing up the restore now, but I am so pissed I have to reinstall all my music and video.

Posted by annoyed on September 15, 2008 at 1:12 PM (PDT)

we call this a PEBKAC error… Problem Exist Between Keyboard And Chair wink

Posted by dennis on September 15, 2008 at 1:19 PM (PDT)

well, i’ve held my reservations until after the weekend…

first off, i want to tell the ones that are still having issues sorry.  this stinks to hear that there are still people with problems.

the 2.1 update was a success.

1. backup times are lightning fast now.

2. battery is even better.

3. 3G may say it’s got more bars, but the proof is in the pudding…  i had no problems getting 3G signals throughout San Francisco.  so Jobs’ remark about 2.1 fixing the signal was correct.  i live in Russian Hill in San Fran and the reception was phenomenal on 3G without switching over to EDGE.  same with the Financial District.  every once in awhile it would switch to EDGE and no dropped calls.  the Sunset and Richmond districts had weaker 3G, but it had 2 more bars and the connection was decent there also.  i used to get 1 bar of 3G in the Richmond district and the connection was SLOW…  now it’s a LOT faster.

4. Contacts/SMS - no lag at all.
5. Safari - never had issues with it crashing whatsoever and i still don’t have any issues

so, i guess i’m one of the lucky ones where 2.1 actually did fix everything (except for cut/copy/paste; damn it).

Posted by Dirty Harry on September 15, 2008 at 2:06 PM (PDT)

to “Dirty Harry”,
welcome on board. I’m glad that the update worked out for you too.

to the ones who are having issues,
i’m really sorry and I hope it will work itself out. I want you all have a positive experience with this update too, and not just read from other people.

now to the people who are out there and just brag about the iPhone beeing not “good”, and talking all negative about the iPhone as soon as they just hear something on the news. You guys are sometimes to quick to jump the gun and i’m pleased that this update will “zip your lips” wink .. said with a bit of “shubiduuuhh” lol

I’m shocked that i have that many “bars” and “3G” coverage on the military base. Heck i was sitting at the “Top Dogs” office, who is a GS15. and i had my iPhone in my hand. I even put it out the pouch and layed it on top of the table. Just waiting so see who gonna talk “shizzneck” ..lol

I have trust in Apple, sooner or later they will address the issue, ... i’m glad it’s not a MS product wink

Posted by dennis on September 15, 2008 at 5:26 PM (PDT)

Encountered ‘unknown error’ when updating to 2.1 (like several others have encountered). I unchecked all the installed apps using iTunes and tried it again… no problem. You don’t have to uninstall music, etc, just apps.  It seems to be a problem with 3rd part apps… which ones, I am not sure since I just uninstalled them all. I then re-installed all the apps and it works fine.

Posted by omar on September 15, 2008 at 7:32 PM (PDT)

Safari & apps still crash regulary (especially Safari).

Oh, and Apple changed something so that my non-OEM AV cable no longer supports video out.  Thanks . . .

Posted by TEllett on September 16, 2008 at 11:03 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2