Apple releases iPhone OS 3.0 for iPhone, iPod touch | iLounge News

Apple releases iPhone OS 3.0 for iPhone, iPod touch

Apple has officially released its iPhone Software Upgrade 3.0 for the iPhone and iPod touch. The second major update to the iPhone OS brings with it a host of new features, including Copy & Paste, widespread landscape keyboard support, in-app and Spotlight search, a new Voice Memos application for the iPhone and iPod touch 2G, MMS support for the iPhone 3G, multi-photo emailing and deletion, stereo Bluetooth support for the iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2G, and more. iPhone Software Update 3.0 is now available as a free download for the iPhone and iPhone 3G; the software is a $10 upgrade for the iPod touch, and iPod touch 2G. For more information on iPhone OS 3.0, read our review, or see our Complete Guide and Instant Expert articles.

« Apple Stores now open 7am on Friday iPhone 3GS launch

iPhone 3GS unboxing photos hit Flickr »

Comments

hi im trying to put the new 3.0 software on my iphone but it keep saying something like surver not working try again later. HELP

Posted by tasha on June 17, 2009 at 3:37 PM (CDT)

tasha, i am getting that message as well
I’m assuming that it’s just as a result of so many people updating at once.

Posted by Jon on June 17, 2009 at 3:39 PM (CDT)

Tasha and Jon,
I too am getting the same message! I think I’m going to try in another hour. I agree with Jon, I think it’s because everyone is trying to update at the same time and the server is unable to handle so much traffic.

Posted by Krista on June 17, 2009 at 3:42 PM (CDT)

It seems to be working now!
Update in progress..

Posted by Jon on June 17, 2009 at 3:43 PM (CDT)

I’m still getting the message that the iPhone activation server is temporarily unavailable at this time and can’t update my iPhone.

I think that there are so many people updating that Apple’s servers are really busy.  I’ll just keep trying until it updates.

Posted by Audrey McGirt on June 17, 2009 at 4:16 PM (CDT)

What I can’t understand is why a premium priced vendor like Apple would slap their iPod Touch owners with an upgrade fee, even if the device was purchased new from an Apple store today. How does that figure? Pay $200 more than the device that got the update free (iPhone), and have the device stick out its hand for money the first time you sync. Bad policy for handling customers!!

Posted by Daveym on June 17, 2009 at 4:22 PM (CDT)

very disappointed i cannot do anything over edge , it takes ages to load safari , ages to load app store, ages to launch youtube

Posted by hansel Jr on June 17, 2009 at 4:27 PM (CDT)

and voice control is not available for 3G users!!

Posted by hansel Jr on June 17, 2009 at 4:36 PM (CDT)

It’s almost 6PM here in NY and I’ve just finished installing 3.0.  I had to keep clicking on the update button until it completed the update.

Now I’ve got to go and check out the new software.

Posted by Audrey McGirt on June 17, 2009 at 5:54 PM (CDT)

hi i have downloaded 3.0 and now i cant get anything off itunes or the app store it keep timeing out can anyone help please

Posted by tasha on June 17, 2009 at 6:24 PM (CDT)

im having the same problem. im starting to regret downloading it a bit.. wait they just gave me a new iTunes terms of service to sign before i download anything.

Posted by Will on June 17, 2009 at 6:44 PM (CDT)

thank you everyone for your help its all ok now :-)

Posted by tasha on June 17, 2009 at 7:53 PM (CDT)

OS 3.0 is a hit for me
I am 80% deaf and wear dual hearing aids
I have a A2DP bluetooth induction neck loop for them, which I can pair to my phone (Motorola) and laptop
Now I can listen to my iPod in full A2DP stereo without have to drag a lead around with me.

Posted by Br Barry on June 17, 2009 at 8:43 PM (CDT)

Why dont youtube work?

Posted by sxl277 on June 17, 2009 at 11:15 PM (CDT)

#8: I am also disappointed that voice control is a 3GS only feature. I only have an iPod touch, but it would have been great for changing songs in the car.

Posted by Ned Scott on June 18, 2009 at 12:53 AM (CDT)

There is one thing I am thinking about for a few hours now. Where are the app updates? It’s hard to imagine that the developers didn’t start working on implemention OS 3.0 features into their apps. I know that there are some apps like AroundMe implemented the MapsAPI, but what about the MAJOR apps, like Skype, Facebook and so on - where are their push implementations? Did those appmakers eventually boycott the launch, because they are still not satisfied with “no background apps, please use our shizzle push workaround”?

Posted by Josh on June 18, 2009 at 3:39 AM (CDT)

HEY PEOPLE I NEED YOUR HELP!! I TRIED TO UPDATE THE NEW 3.0 SOFTWARE LASTNIGHT.. AND IT SEEMS LIKE MY IPHONE 3G CRASHED! I CANT EVEN RESTORE IT IM SO DEPRESSED! MY SCREEN IS PURPLE WITH THE USB CORD & THE ITUNES LOGO ON TOP OF THE USB CORD,(LIKE SAYING IT NEEDS TO BE PLUGGED IN) WITH NO SERVICE!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!! SOMEONE!

Posted by JAVIER on June 18, 2009 at 5:03 AM (CDT)

Has anyone else noticed that the Playlist sort order has changed? Playlists that begin with a number (i.e. 4 Star Songs) now sort at the end, not in the beginning as every other iPod does.
Not serious but annoying.

Posted by Tom Bergman on June 18, 2009 at 8:19 AM (CDT)

apple did not charge me

Posted by sxl277 on June 18, 2009 at 2:37 PM (CDT)

I can confirm that the playlist sort order changed. I used to be able to force things to the top with an underscore (e.g. _current). Those end up at the end. I’ve switched to dashes (e.g. -current) and they end up at the end.

Does anyone know anyway to force a playlist to the top of the list besides putting the stupidity of starting everything with a bunch of a’s? Which will work until some price the symbol renames itself aaaaaa….

Posted by Tim on June 24, 2009 at 12:03 AM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >