Apple releases iPhone OS 4 beta 4, adds U.S. tethering | iLounge News

Apple releases iPhone OS 4 beta 4, adds U.S. tethering

image

Apple has released the fourth beta version of iPhone OS 4 for the iPhone and iPod touch, along with the accompanying SDK. As with prior beta releases, a main Xcode and SDK beta is available for download, as are pre-release builds of the iPhone OS 4 software for the iPhone 3G and 3GS, and the second- and third-generation iPod touch. Mac Rumors notes that the new beta version includes a new configuration page for Internet Tethering, and a special alert for AT&T customers telling them to call AT&T at 611 or visit AT&T’s website to enable tethering on their account, suggesting AT&T may be planning to offer the long-awaited feature with the arrival of iPhone OS 4. Both the new SDK and pre-release builds are available now for download by registered iPhone developers from the iPhone Dev Center.

« Gartner: Apple world’s seventh-largest cell maker in Q1

Comments

Its about time.

Posted by stenniz on May 19, 2010 at 7:27 AM (PDT)

is tethering free at least or is att makin us pay even more for that?

Posted by anthony on May 19, 2010 at 8:03 AM (PDT)

#2, should that prove true, I am DONE with AT&T; this would be the last straw.. I will drop my iPhone and get a WiFi-only iPad first, then Verizon’s MiFi service + a free “dumbphone” from them.

Posted by Herr Doktor on May 19, 2010 at 8:09 AM (PDT)

#3, Herr Doktor, MiFi service is $60 a month with a cap at 5gigs per month. If AT&T can do $30 a month with unlimited data, I’d be thrilled.

Posted by mladd on May 19, 2010 at 9:19 AM (PDT)

I recently got a Palm Pre from Verizon. The tethering/Mobile Hot Spot comes at no extra cost. It works great with my iPad but is very slow with my Touch. I can’t figure out if the latter problem is in the Touch or the Pre but I think it’s the Pre. Regardless, I only use the Hot Spot with the iPad.

Posted by SteveE on May 19, 2010 at 11:00 AM (PDT)

#4, on AT&T, you are in fact “limited” - by their awful 3G network.

Posted by Herr Doktor on May 19, 2010 at 1:33 PM (PDT)