Apple releases iPhone Software 2.0.1 | iLounge News

Apple releases iPhone Software 2.0.1

Apple today released iPhone Software 2.0.1, the first update to the iPhone and iPod touch software since the release of the iPhone 3G and the arrival of the App Store. According to Apple, the update contains simply “Bug fixes.” The download is 249.2MB in size for the iPhone, or 246.7MB for the iPod touch, and is available now for the iPhone, the iPhone 3G, and iPod touch units running software version 2.0 through the update feature in iTunes.

« Colorware now offering mail-in iPhone 3G coloring

Latest iPhone 3G problem: dusty screens »

Comments

took forever to download, but the update only took 20 minutes.  everything seems fine so far (knock on wood).  Contacts is definitely faster and MUCH more stable.  i’ll have to see within the next few days.  still too early to tell.

Posted by phongsta on August 4, 2008 at 10:04 PM (CDT)

hey my ipod touch recently crashed while downloading an app.  i was planning on the 2.1 download that night, but it won’t leave the apple logo screen at all. i have tried everything.  I was planning on bringing it to the apple store, but was wondering if there is still a crowd in the stores.  would there be a crowd in a mall store in Indianapolis?  please reply.  also if you have any tips on how i could solve the problem myself, please post solutions!

Posted by Daniel Lipson on August 4, 2008 at 11:15 PM (CDT)

Definitely seems a little zippier in certain areas.  I too, noticed an improvement in the Contacts.  I also noticed that my list of Photo albums displayed quicker; along with the contents of those albums as well.

Posted by Eric on August 5, 2008 at 12:24 AM (CDT)

Correction, this version released today is 2.0.  The prior version was 2.0 Beta.  Apple must think we’re a bunch of idiots if they think the previous firmware was a functional version! Safari crashes and keyboard lag galore!

Posted by Mark on August 5, 2008 at 2:47 AM (CDT)

It did take forever to download, but once it backed up, updated and then finally finished it seems to have updated right this time (past updates worked but failed to restore backups to the phone).  All my stuff was there on the phone.  Upon eject, the first thing I noticed was a popup saying “Iphone is activated”...  Hmmm, is this part of the anti pawnage stuff? (I don’t have my phone pawned).  Everything pops up faster and even apps that needed updating didn’t crash upon installing and 1st time reuse (always a problem with 2.0).  Will be working this update in the next few days

Posted by Gabe on August 5, 2008 at 6:05 AM (CDT)

Took me 90 mins to download (really slow) but only 12 to do the update. So far everything seems faster - most especially contacts. Not tested the apps that crash after a while yet nor my calendar sync problems…

Posted by Aggrajag on August 5, 2008 at 6:14 AM (CDT)

Does anyone know if this update means that ringtones will be enabled for UK users, or if not then when this will be available?

Posted by Baggio on August 5, 2008 at 8:09 AM (CDT)

Too bad it doesn’t seem to have addressed the biggest “bug” that the iPhone has…namely the CRAPTASTIC quality of actually using it as a PHONE!

I was with Verizon for 8 years prior to jumping ship to get the iPhone 3G.  Phone service in my home is a joke…and I live on the NJ side of the Hudson…staring across the river at 105th St in Manhattan.  I estimate that I’ve dropped more calls in the less than a month I’ve had the iPhone as I did in the 8 years I was with Verizon.

Posted by Dave G on August 5, 2008 at 8:58 AM (CDT)

Dave G:

Did you ever think that maybe it’s the AT&T;coverage in your area that blows and not the iPhone itself?

Posted by Rob on August 5, 2008 at 11:32 AM (CDT)

True.  AT$T service sucked when I bought my first gen iphone last year, but within a month I was getting awesome service in places my old sprint phone got zero bars.  My 3G is getting even better service now.

Posted by Todd on August 5, 2008 at 11:45 AM (CDT)

Rob-

AT&T;‘s coverage is partly to blame.  I live out on a pier.  The further I get from the main road the weaker my 3G signal gets.  I’ve taken to turning off the 3G when I’m at home and try to rely on Edge for my calls (I use my WiFi connection for data.)  As a side note, it would be interesting to know what kind of signal people get when they are taking the ferry across the Hudson River.

However, even on Edge I do not get very good service in my home.  Contrast this with the fact that I’ve had guests over who have Blackberries on AT&T;(using Edge) and they had no issues.

This, combined with numerous reports of people who upgraded from the original iPhone to the iPhone 3G reporting decreased call quality and I believe that the issue lies with Apple’s product.

On the surface, it would not seem to make sense; the iPhone 3G has more antenna and Apple replaced the metal back with plastic…all in an effort to increase call quality.  If I were to guess, I’d say that Apple has set the wireless antenna to be less sensitive than they are fully capable of in an effort to conserve battery…but that’s 100% conjecture on my part.

Posted by Dave G on August 5, 2008 at 1:16 PM (CDT)

It seems to work fine for me, but when I first bought my iPhone (a week ago) it asked me to download regional operator settings (Mexico’s Telcel, in my case), and it did fine.

Now after installing 2.0.1, it asks to download these settings again, but is not able to install them, and it pops error 0XE8000001.

I can send and receive calls and messages fine, but I wonder if these settings are 3G related…

Posted by Korpil on August 5, 2008 at 1:24 PM (CDT)

Download took 15 minutes (Qwest DSL).  Upload took 10 minutes.  Phone activated and there were no problems at all.

Haven’t had a chance to work with the phone, yet, to see what has changed.

To be honest, I have had very few problems with the 3G.  I’m new to iPhone, having had a Treo 800W for 2.5 years and 6 years other Windows Mobile products .  AT&T;coverage in the Seattle area, especially in my neighborhood, has been an improvement over Verizon.  GPS is a real plus once I figured out how it functioned.

The iPhone has exceeded my expectations on nearly all fronts compared to my Treo.  I am very satisfied with the purchase so far.

I had a great deal of apprehension about purchasing the iPhone but was looking forward to giving it a go.  The pro’s and con’s laid out by this and other forums seemed fairly split.  And some of the best solutions to problems with the iPhone have been found on user forums.

Posted by Rom on August 5, 2008 at 2:46 PM (CDT)

I had some problems getting the download to finish. Probably took, oh, three or four tries as the operating kept timing out and I kept having to start the process over. I’d say that when I finally struck gold and the connection stayed intact, it took 15 minutes to download and another 15 to update the software and backup the iPhone.

The difference is noticeable. Everything seems smoother and pretty much lag-free. There are still small delays when loading up long SMS conversations and photo albums, but overall the performance of my iPhone has been greatly improved and I’m thankful for that, because some of the bugs had been extremely frustrating.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on August 5, 2008 at 3:00 PM (CDT)

Here are some changes I noticed.

1) The backup are much faster.
2) Keypad loads quicker.
3) Screen rotation in Safari appears to be smoother.

Posted by Oscar Martinez on August 5, 2008 at 3:15 PM (CDT)

A feature of the iPhone 1G was the ability to listen to visual voice mail via a BT head set.  iPhone 2.0 apparently didn’t retain this feature.  Has anyone had this experience?  And does 2.0.1 resolve this? (I don’t have my BT headset with me to find out for myself).

Posted by Rom on August 5, 2008 at 3:24 PM (CDT)

installed it 15-20 min. it seems to have fixed some of the program crashes and delays when going SMS and keyboard delays.
I had original iphone and now 3g since day one , they both have been great!! Apple service is second to none, I can’t live without it.

Posted by Kurt R on August 5, 2008 at 4:16 PM (CDT)

Has anyone noticed that some of the sounds have disappeared? Namely when you sleep/keylock the phone??

Posted by Simon on August 5, 2008 at 6:51 PM (CDT)

I just downloaded the update and I have not noticed any sounds that have disappeared. Must be an isolated issue.

Posted by Evan on August 5, 2008 at 7:01 PM (CDT)

Simon, you’re right. Something was nagging at me as I was walking down into the subway… and it was that I didn’t hear that click. I actually liked the click… but whatever. I haven’t noticed any problems with downloading the patch, but I did notice that I have just as many program crashes before as after. No real difference. Safari loves to just… give up and go to home. Then it usually works fine… after it downloads the page again.

Posted by Daniel on August 6, 2008 at 12:21 AM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >