Apple releases iPhone Software 2.0.2 [updated] | iLounge News

Apple releases iPhone Software 2.0.2 [updated]

Apple has released iPhone Software 2.0.2, the latest update to the iPhone and iPod touch software. As with software version 2.0.1, Apple describes the new software as containing simply “bug fixes.” It is currently unclear whether this update will address the reception problems currently being experienced by some iPhone 3G users. The download is 248.7MB in size for the iPhone 3G and 241.9MB for the iPhone, and is available now for the iPhone, the iPhone 3G, and iPod touch units running software version 2.0 or later through the update feature in iTunes.

Update: The “Update All” button has been removed from the mobile App Store’s Update section.

« Apple adds 60 days to MobileMe extension

H2O Audio rolls out Surge in-ear waterproof earphones »

Comments

Shame.  I kind of liked that Update All button!

Posted by Mindy on August 18, 2008 at 7:53 PM (CDT)

I have to say the new software update for my iPod Touch sees an incredible faster back up than before

Posted by jozefd1 on August 18, 2008 at 8:03 PM (CDT)

I’m glad the “update all” is gone. It took forever. On my iPod touch, the darn thing would go to sleep before even the first app was updated. Last time I clicked “update all” it took three days to update them all.

Posted by Jason Kessel on August 18, 2008 at 8:31 PM (CDT)

Same here, updates on my iPod touch are faster. Excellent.

Posted by Graeme Smith on August 18, 2008 at 8:42 PM (CDT)

Am I the only iPhone owner in the world who consistently has difficulty installing app updates?  Particularly difficulties arise when I update from the phone itself, but often I cannot apply app updates without de-syncing the app first and then re-syncing it.  Most times, I have to delete the app from the iPhone home screen altogether, then sync, then re-check the app under the apps tab, then re-sync again.  Otherwise, I get an error message for every app with new updates.  Very frustrating.

Posted by Matt Mitchell on August 19, 2008 at 12:19 AM (CDT)

@ Matt Mitchell

You’re not the only one mate!
I have that problem for every update!
I’ve now resorted to waiting until theres a big mass of updates, downloading them all, then un-syncing them and re-syncing them!

Posted by Pat Koong on August 19, 2008 at 4:57 AM (CDT)

After the update, none of my applications (NY Times, WeatherBug, Movies, etc.)  is working. When I tried to open an application, it just crashed after 2 seconds, bringing me back to the home screen.

Posted by tigerinroc on August 19, 2008 at 7:16 AM (CDT)

I had the same issue before, and i dont have the update yet. When I opend an application is closed right after its open down and jumps back to the home screen.

My solution was: I downloaded another application that I liked and this fixed it. After this all my other applicaitons started working fine again.

Posted by dennis on August 19, 2008 at 7:49 AM (CDT)

MobileFinder does not seem to have a ‘low memory’ problem any more, after the 2.0.2 update. Nice app for 2 bucks. I have never experienced any dropped calls. I live right on the border of 3G and EDGE, with my house in EDGE, and it switches but no problems with the iPhone 3G.

Posted by Bill on August 19, 2008 at 9:11 AM (CDT)

Downloaded 2.0.2 started update, received unknown error, now phone has apple logo and whirling gear at bottom. Any suggestions after 1 hour of waiting for it to restart. 3G Phone

Posted by Jack Miller on August 19, 2008 at 9:26 AM (CDT)

Jack - I, too, had this happen.  I unplugged the iphone from the computer and plugged it back in.  Itunes then asked to restore the phone and I let it.  After the restore, a screen came up in iTunes asking if I wanted to restore a recent backup.  I let it.  When that was finished the same screen came up and, being a bit confused, I chose to restore the same backup.  Finally after the second backup restore I chose the “Set up as new phone” (or something to that effect) option.  I went through a couple of steps and my phone was back, although I had to re-sync my custom ringtones, music, movies, etc. which took quite a while.  Everything seems to be working fine and as it was before the firmware update.  Hope that helps.

Posted by jkoz73 on August 19, 2008 at 9:44 AM (CDT)

Unplugged phone. Reloaded ITunes from Apple. Itunes comes up when I plug in phone but does not give me the IPhone connect icon and still have apple logo and rotating gear at bottom.

Posted by Jack Miller on August 19, 2008 at 10:27 AM (CDT)

Prior to the update, whenever I would type text messages there would be a lag between what I type and when the letters finally show up on the screen.  Now with the update (which completed normally), the lag isn’t there anymore.  Thumbs up for me.

Posted by Ðerek on August 19, 2008 at 11:09 AM (CDT)

No improvement in the 3G reception.  The phone goes back and forth between no bars and 5 bars of unusable 3G rather than switch to full 5 bars of 2G!  Guess 3G is going to be turned off on my iphone for a little while longer yet!

Posted by Phil Ash on August 19, 2008 at 12:52 PM (CDT)

blacklab913 Thank You
Did my first reset then followed your instructions now all is well

Posted by Jack Miller on August 19, 2008 at 2:42 PM (CDT)

Installed the 2.0.2 today and absolutely no difference in 3G reception on the O2 network in the UK at all! Did not check every single function or option, but nothing seems to be opening or closing, let alone working faster than with the 2.0.1. Oh, and something else for those driving Mercedes-Benz cars. With the 2.0 software, one could see and use the complete address book (contacts) within the COMAND sat-nav/phone system via the Bluetooth sync. Well, on 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 all that has disappeared and you just have the sync for receiving calls through the steering wheel functions. If you want to MAKE a call, you have to dial manually from the iphone or nothing happens. MB dealers already know about this and, apparently, MB is working on a software update for their COMAND system to make it all work again. What would the world do without a 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 upgrades

Posted by Jonathan Miller on August 19, 2008 at 5:31 PM (CDT)

@ Jack Miller - Glad I could help.

Posted by jkoz73 on August 19, 2008 at 6:12 PM (CDT)

@ blacklab913

I had this exact same problem of being caught in this never ending restore loop!  Very frustrating.  I was afraid to restore “as new” but I’ll give that a try when I get home.  Also, a bunch of my apps don’t work after the update to 2.02.  Eesh.

Posted by Bluey on August 21, 2008 at 11:21 AM (CDT)

Restore problem here as well with 1st gen iPhone. I’ve attempted 7 restores at this point, and it continues to fail.

Good job Apple for your effective Quality Assurance program, I rate it a null.

Posted by Jason on August 23, 2008 at 1:09 PM (CDT)

1st gen iPhone, ran the update Sat nite. At the ballgame yesterday in Shea Stadium, NY, phone switched between 5 bars and no service all day. couldn’t even surf the web and read the NY Times (normally their pages don’t take all that long to load, even on Edge).
I don’t have 3G, but felt like my phone was trying to find 3G, and losing service when it couldn’t because it isn’t a frigging 3G phone.
I also got the e-mail about permissions being the issue for apps crashing (see numerous comments above) and did what they said, but still having apps crash.
Still like the phone, though, can’t beat the UI.

Posted by GFD613 on August 25, 2008 at 2:50 PM (CDT)