Apple releases iPhone Software version 1.0.2 | iLounge News

Apple releases iPhone Software version 1.0.2

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, August 21, 2007
News Categories: iPhone

Apple has released iPhone Software Version 1.0.2, the second update to the handheld’s software. According to Apple, version 1.0.2 “includes bug fixes and supersedes all previous versions.” It is worth noting that while version 1.0.1 was listed as containing “bug fixes,” it also added several new features and tweaked several others. iPhone Software Version 1.0.2 is available through the Check for Updates feature in iTunes.

« Bexy debuts iMirror iPod dock

Mix: Europe, Wal-Mart, HOF, iDiamond »

Comments

I just did the update…any ideas on what it does?

All I know is that now in iTunes where it would say my phone number it now says n/a.

Posted by Mike on August 21, 2007 at 3:43 PM (PDT)

Interesting comment. I also did the 1.0.2 update and my iTunes shows my phone number. So far the launching of apps and the general use of the iPhone seems faster, and iTunes volume seems to be louder both thru speaker and earphones…

more to come…

Posted by sticky_bit on August 21, 2007 at 4:13 PM (PDT)

seems a bit faster to open and close apps….

Posted by gersly on August 21, 2007 at 5:19 PM (PDT)

In iTunes it no longer shows my phone number. Now it reads “n/a”.

Posted by Matt Dunn on August 21, 2007 at 7:09 PM (PDT)

What are the new features?
and also what features were tweaked?

Posted by Reggie on August 21, 2007 at 7:35 PM (PDT)

I can’t sync with Outlook 2007 anymore.  Not good.

Posted by Nick on August 22, 2007 at 5:52 AM (PDT)

Nick,

Try uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes, I needed to do this last time.  Also, I made sure I had completely removed iTunes before reinstalling.  I had to do this last time, but this time have not had the same problem.

Posted by Christian on August 22, 2007 at 6:11 AM (PDT)

A few users over at Engadget are reporting this:

a) improved WiFi signal strength

b) improved volume on internal speaker and headphones

c) losing your apps and data if you hacked the iPhone

Posted by UncleMiltie on August 22, 2007 at 8:38 AM (PDT)

Anyone see further improvements in playback quality through external speakers or transmitters?

My biggest disappointment with the iPhone so far has been the inability to play it through my car stereo w/out the Airplane Mode being turned on (thus making phone capability incapacitated). It got a little better after the 1.0.1 update but that was mostly to provide at least some external audio capability to numerous iPod solutions that didn’t work.

Posted by D9 on August 22, 2007 at 8:53 AM (PDT)

wow to the volume of the speaker now! scared it might be blown out, it’s so loud.

Posted by dabido on August 22, 2007 at 10:03 AM (PDT)

noticed a slight bug this morning, unrelated to the firmware;

iphone thought headphones were plugged in, so no noises were coming from the bottom speaker. i had to repeatedly plug in and unplug a pair of headphones, until it realized they were removed!

scarrrrry! mechanical failure?
hope it doesn’t happen again; might go to apple if it does.

Posted by dabido on August 22, 2007 at 10:05 AM (PDT)

Can no longer sync with Outlook, says Iphone disconnected. Syncs fine with Mac but guess i can no longer use it with my Work PC and Outlook.

Posted by ryan on August 22, 2007 at 12:15 PM (PDT)

Lovely, my voicemail was deleted and had to be set up again.

Posted by a on August 22, 2007 at 12:19 PM (PDT)

Yes, can no longer sync up with Outlook… this was a major selling point for me as a former Nokia PDA user, i really needed the sync to Outlook function with work calendar kept me from having to carry around a day planner. iPhone going on ebay now, going to have to go back to the Nokia. Was on phone with Apple support for 2 hours this morning and i guess it’s a known issue and they don’t have a fix and were using me as a way to help diagnose to no avail.

Posted by Jack3742 on August 22, 2007 at 12:30 PM (PDT)

Lost all of my recurring appointments in Outlook again!!! Everytime there’s an update i lose all recurring, uggggggh, what a pain this is becomming!

Posted by Kaycee on August 22, 2007 at 1:05 PM (PDT)

Sorting through Engadget again….some people are saying better signal, worse signal (though a lot of the comments are from people that have hacked their phones then updated), and more wallpapers (new ones including a frog, and butterfly….I think.) Anyone else notice anything cool?

Posted by cannon on August 23, 2007 at 5:22 AM (PDT)

No problems synching. Outlook synchs just fine. When I got my new iphone a week ago, I first upgraded the iTunes software. Then I synched my phone, then I downloaded the 1.0.1 software. Used it for a week, yesterday upgraded to 1.0.2

Again, no problems synching, showing the phone number, etc.

Posted by Enxo Woodward on August 23, 2007 at 12:00 PM (PDT)

Since the update is such a small increment: 1.01 to 1.02 it probably only addressed some minor security issues with safari.
Im waiting for the big jump from 1.02 to 2.0 and maybe well get a new widget and tweak the camera with a zoom and video

Posted by Stephen DeStefano on August 24, 2007 at 1:01 AM (PDT)

I just found the best feature so far in the new update. It’s not a big one but it’s still usefull. In the texting feature, if you type a long message you can scroll through the message before sending it. You scroll the same way you scroll through safri you can now scroll through your message before sending it.

Posted by Reggie on August 24, 2007 at 5:49 AM (PDT)