Apple releases iPhone Software Version 1.1.1 [updated x5] | iLounge News

Apple releases iPhone Software Version 1.1.1 [updated x5]

Apple has released iPhone Software Version 1.1.1, which is currently available as a download through iTunes.

image

The Software Update is a 152.3MB download, and begins with a warning that those who have modified their iPhones’ software may find that “applying this software update may result in your iPhone becoming permanently inoperable.” We experienced only one hiccup in our installation process, which you can read about by clicking on the headline of this article or the Comments link below. Version 1.1.1 most noticeably adds support for the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store, video-out (with select accessories) and a variety of new settings, including double-tapping the Home button to bring you either to your Phone’s list of favorite contacts, or the iPod control scheme.

New: A complete list of changes from iPhone Version 1.0.2 to Version 1.1.1 is now available here.

In addition, Apple has posted a brief six-minute video covering the new features and enhancements of iPhone Software v1.1.1. Like the company’s Guided Tours, the video is broken down into major points: The iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store, iTunes Ringtones, New Features and Shortcuts, Double Click on Home Button, Double Tap on Space Bar, Landscape View Mail Attachments, Connecting Your iPhone to a TV, and Additional Features. The video is available for viewing online in three different sizes, and can be downloaded as well.

The download—unusually large by iPod standards, but fine by OS X standards—took a few minutes. iTunes failed to properly install the update the first time on our first test iPhone, coming up with an error message. Note that our iPhone has never been hacked in any way whatsoever, and is operating on an AT&T contract.

image

In order to proceed, iTunes said, it needed to completely erase the iPhone’s contents through a restore—you might want to back up your iPhone before beginning the process. The restore process is currently underway, with iTunes “verifying iPhone restore,” then “restoring iPhone firmware.”

The restoration process succeeded, and at the end, the iPhone was updated to version 1.1.1.

« Apple releases iTunes 7.4.3 for Windows

SRS Labs updates iWOW iTunes Plug-In for Mac »

Comments

Can I just say…....meh. Wifi Music Store? Okay, it’s kinda cool and I’ll probably even use it from time to time but what I REALLY need is full bluetooth functionality and (related) voice dialing. From what I’m hearing, these much more essential features ain’t in dere. C’mon Apple. Let’s get those supremely talented coders of yours cracking on the really important stuff, eh?

Posted by Pixelologist on September 27, 2007 at 2:54 PM (CDT)

no video and no multiple contact SMS messages! :(

Posted by Matt Dunn on September 27, 2007 at 2:55 PM (CDT)

not sure if this was there before, but now you can double-tap the spacebar and it will add a period and a space.

overall, a disappointing upgrade. where’s the multiple contact SMS? did someone decide the color change in the calculator icon was more important?

Posted by nhatman on September 27, 2007 at 3:16 PM (CDT)

Where’s MMS already!? At the minimum, why can’t they just parse that AT&T link so you can just click it and have it open a web page with you image.

I expected a lot more of the basic cell phone features to be implemented by now, what have they been doing for the last 3 months?!

Posted by Ray on September 27, 2007 at 3:39 PM (CDT)

I upgraded to 1.1.1 on a jailbroken phone. Had one error but after that, all went well.

Posted by HighTechDad on September 27, 2007 at 3:44 PM (CDT)

I loaned out my SIM to a friend in another phone, and am using my iPhone as an iPod touch on my home Wifi.

After the upgrade I cannot use it anymore until I insert the SIM, so if anyone else is in this situation don’t upgrade till you have your SIM handy.

Grr….

Posted by David on September 27, 2007 at 3:52 PM (CDT)

I also had an upgrade error on my unlocked/unhacked AT&T stock legal iPhone 8GB. Now restoring, but it’s taking some time. Swell. Been waiting weeks for this update.

Posted by Eric Almendral on September 27, 2007 at 4:56 PM (CDT)

I have a legal iPhone and when I did the update it and for some resason it deactivated my iPhone and so I plugged it back it several times and then finally i got a message saying that the iPhone was verifying the activation and then it was activated. The only problem now is my visual vmail is not working so i have to call AT&T

Posted by Jonathan Sanchez on September 27, 2007 at 6:05 PM (CDT)

I’m digging the caps lock feature.

Posted by guybmoto on September 27, 2007 at 6:43 PM (CDT)

FYI for those of you with jailbroken (not unlocked) phones the update worked smoothly for me.

Posted by rayzha on September 27, 2007 at 11:52 PM (CDT)

Has anyone noticed the option to delete a video “to conserve space” after watching it is now gone?

Posted by Rand on September 28, 2007 at 2:42 AM (CDT)

Mine now displays a video of Charlize Theron in a catsuit offering Keyboard shortcut tips.

Posted by solarpos on September 28, 2007 at 8:29 AM (CDT)

Sorry I must have missed something - apart from WiFi iTunes the update is minor and most of its features should have been there day 1. What so special about WiFi iTunes? With only 8G of memory it will soon fill your phone then what? To me it just seems a way to sell more music not to give the user real features

Posted by Tony on September 28, 2007 at 11:09 AM (CDT)

Posted by Rand

the option to delete a video was there before the update.  unfortunately, when you resync your iphone to your computer it adds the video back to the iphone but does show up as being viewed (does not have the blue dot next to it)

Posted by the fifth element on September 29, 2007 at 12:12 AM (CDT)

I can’t get the update to download.  I get multiple ‘network connection has timed out errors’ each time I try.  I resume but then when it gets to what should be the end of the 152.3 mb, it continues to download.  It’s a brand new phone.  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

Posted by mike on September 29, 2007 at 10:16 AM (CDT)

I dont know if anyone else has dropped call issues but compared to my blackberry or P1 it drops calls constantly does the 1.1 ugrade address this issue if not anybody want a new iphone unlocked??

Posted by Marquis Rust on November 3, 2007 at 2:33 PM (CDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2