Apple releases iPod mini in Korea | iLounge News

Apple releases iPod mini in Korea

“Apple Computer Inc. announced the domestic release of its portable music player, the iPod mini, in Seoul yesterday, hoping its latest product will overcome the disappointing market performances of earlier models.

‘We believe iPod mini could become a huge success in Korea and other places such as China or Taiwan where flash-memory music players still dominate the market,’ said Yeo Eng Yiong, Apple’s portable devices product marketing manager for Asia-Pacific.

‘The main reason that iPod models didn’t catch on with Korean consumers in the past was the high prices for the products. However, iPod mini now comes at a very affordable price and we believe it will have a great success in Korea considering its huge advantage in storage capacity,’ he added.”

« Update: iPod 4G Audio Problems

How to turn your iPod into an infrared remote »

Comments

Can I get a Mini in the U.S. Please???

A bit off topic…why is it that Europe gets all the cool stuff 2-5 years before the U.S. sees it, and then we have a company like Apple here, and they can’t even meet U.S. demand before they start shipping them out of the country…

=(

Posted by bikepodmini on July 28, 2004 at 8:17 AM (PDT)

Why do you think you are better than anyone else? Last time I checked, the minis weren’t even made in the US. Thus, they wouldn’t be “shipping them out of the country”. There’s enough hubris on the web without you adding to it.

Posted by shouldntlistentoipodonbike on July 28, 2004 at 9:26 AM (PDT)

I’m not sure that his comment amounts to hubris.  That’s a pretty strong statement.  It’s reasonable to expect that Apple should meet the demands of the original market before it opens up more demand for a product.  I also wonder why we can’t get some of the same cool electronics that they have in Europe.  I assume that it isn’t because companies are holding back, but more because they don’t think that there is a market here.

Posted by ChrisVA in Nashville, TN on July 28, 2004 at 10:34 AM (PDT)

Never said I was better than anyone else, did I?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Apple is a U.S. company, started way back in 1976.  It’s pretty common that electronics (other things as well, for that matter) are sent overseas because the labor is so much cheaper.  Just because something isn’t made in the U.S., doesn’t mean it wasn’t designed in the U.S.

I wasn’t trying to say anything bad about another country or anything, not sure why it was taken that way.  I’m just saying that it is strange for a company to be having such a supply problem, to make it worse by increasing the demand for it.

Based on your interpretation of my statement, you could say why is Europe better than anyone else for getting all the cool cell phones, why is Japan better than anyone else for getting all the cool console gaming systems before anyone else…  Don’t mistake my comments for that type of nonsense.

P.S.  I’ll take my iPod on my bike if I want to, that is, when I actually get it.

Have a nice day.

Posted by bikepodmini on July 28, 2004 at 12:56 PM (PDT)

Actually ipod mini was designed by a Brittish desiger hehe,
Btw i’m english

Posted by Pricey on July 28, 2004 at 1:07 PM (PDT)

sorry for double post i spelt british wrong, apologies, before anyone brings me up on that.

Posted by Pricey on July 28, 2004 at 1:09 PM (PDT)

I don’t think that $50 is that much of a difference in price so that a previously “dissapointing” in sales product could suddenly turn into a huge success. I think it’s safe to say that the mini’s aesthetic appeal is what matters most to people who buy them over the regular iPod.

Posted by Sraphim on July 28, 2004 at 2:41 PM (PDT)

Correction noted on the designer.

Apple is still a U.S. company, if I’m not again mistaken…

Sraphim.  I somewhat agree with you.  I like the way the Mini looks, mostly, however there’s more to it.

The size of the unit appeals to me, over the iPod, since I’ll be using it to work out and what not.  The size also seems to make me think the unit is just a tiny bit more rugged than the regular iPod brother, since the moving parts (i.e., hard drive) are smaller, which means less mass, which means less accelleration during movement.  Don’t get me wrong, I haven’t calculated anything here, just guessing from what I know of physics.

I also only have 2GB worth of music that I like, so 20GB won’t do me much good, although I wouldn’t complain if the Mini had 10GB.

Posted by bikepodmini on July 28, 2004 at 6:47 PM (PDT)

Apple Australia iPod mini “Menu Button” Problem.

Most of the minis distributed in Australia has this problem. I got a victim of this problem. Probably 1 of 5 , = 20% a conservative guess- T-estimate based on what I read in OZ forum (whirlpool.net.au). A lot of us is returning the item for repair?, replacement probably.

I like to know if the problem is also prevalent in other countries.

The problem is: the menu button, back, next and pause/play buttons are not working. The scroller and the enter button (middle one) are working. You can not turn off the ipod (i.e. pause/play button is not working). Toggling the Hold button back and forth will get you to navigated the menu.

Having this problem, the iPod mini is useable. As you know we have to pay US$30 more on this ipod (mini).

Again, I will to know if other countries has this problem. I think, this is manufacturing problem, probably the glues sip in the contacts or the contact points protection has not been removed. These ipod minis are “Assembled in China”.

Another thing, 3 Gen Ipods in Australia are “Assembled in China” have ordinary white LED backlit and “Assembled in Taiwan” have blue backlit LED according to one guy.  I saw 3 Gen Ipods with Blue LED in some of the store.

Posted by NS on July 29, 2004 at 2:17 PM (PDT)

Are the ipod minis in USA now (July/August 2004) ordered and delivered are problem free? I just spend a lot of time returning my mini and convincing the sales persons in one of retailers Melbourne, Australia about this “Menu Button Problem”. I am trying to believe that probably it is not worth getting this ipod mini. I am still waiting for a replacement.

Please note, that you can reply here even you are not a registered member. Are really like to know if this problem occurs in other part of the world aside Australia.

Posted by NS on July 29, 2004 at 9:40 PM (PDT)

Unfortunately, you can’t edit what is posted. It should read “spent a lot of time…” not spend grin

Posted by NS on July 29, 2004 at 9:41 PM (PDT)

The original poster is right. It’s BEYOND me, that when I STILL can’t find an iPod mini for me to buy here in the good old USA, that Apple is releasing them for wide distribution in Korea, Japan etc. ????

Great for Apple (huge buzz, hard to find so the buzz increases even more) BAD for us (hard to find, long waiting period). :(

Posted by winexprt on July 31, 2004 at 8:51 AM (PDT)

ipod mini has the same wheel problems. the menu butoon ist blocked. with moving the hold button you can navigate for an backward

Posted by chris on August 5, 2004 at 12:59 AM (PDT)

I know there is a huge wait for these, but Apple has been somewhat quiet about how long that wait actually is. Does anyone have an estimate on this? A month…six? And, more to the point, does anyone know what Apple has done to increase the supply lines of these things? I have heard somewhere that the supplier of the hard-drives has doubled their production capacity, but we still don’t know what kind of reduction in lag time that will mean to the consumer…if any.

Has anyone purchased one of these things, say, at apple.com and received it already? How long did it take?

Posted by Clark on August 6, 2004 at 4:56 AM (PDT)

winexprt said: “It’s BEYOND me, that when I STILL can’t find an iPod mini for me to buy here in the good old USA, that Apple is releasing them for wide distribution in Korea, Japan etc. ????”

I live in Korea, went to the Apple Store, contacted the online store - BELIEVE ME, there are no iPod minis to be found in Korea. And if anybody actually has one, I’d bet a year’s salary that they were friends of the salespeople at Apple Korea.

Posted by philseoul on August 8, 2004 at 2:04 AM (PDT)

Just got my mini (UK) Ive got the menu problem too. If its as many as 1 in 5 then its like;ly ill not see a replacement in a VERY long time. Cant begin to describe how disapointd and angry i am - Apple have just plummeted in my estimations.

Posted by Nick on August 8, 2004 at 5:56 AM (PDT)

I just got my ipod mini and im dissapointed to see after this long wait the menu button doesnt work, does anyone have any ideas on a way to fix it, or am i doomed to a life time of anxiety thanks to apple?

Posted by jossh on August 8, 2004 at 9:17 PM (PDT)

I received my first iPod mini (blue) ordered at the AppleStore on July 26th and returned it on July 27th here in Germany. It had the glue problem and half of the touch sensitivity of the clickwheel was missing on that device. I received my replacement unit on August 3rd and it worked fine - for at least 6 1/2 days. The MENU button on the mini clickwheel stopped working yesterday. It’s unusable now - only works together with SELECT as RESET KEY.

You can read it all around the Internet, but AppleStore & Support in Germany was completely unaware of the problem, telling me that so far during 2 weeks they had only one defective clickwheel. Liars! Or am I just the only lucky guy in Germany with two crappy units in a row. Probably a software bug and not hardware???

I will return the device tomorrow and my second replacement will arrive August 16th. Good luck then….Apple ;-(((

Posted by meckardt on August 11, 2004 at 12:05 PM (PDT)

You’re really bad luck.

Posted by Mr. James on August 19, 2004 at 4:28 PM (PDT)

Hey meckardt,

I got an ipod mini from Malaysia just recently (the silver one), the next day, like yours the MENU button clickwheel button stopped working. Went back to the service center to fix it. That was 2 weeks ago.

Now, it happened again. Menu button not working. It’s abit fustrating to have it get sent back of the same problem.

Posted by Adrian on August 24, 2004 at 11:59 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >