Apple releases iPod mini in Korea | iLounge News

Apple releases iPod mini in Korea

“Apple Computer Inc. announced the domestic release of its portable music player, the iPod mini, in Seoul yesterday, hoping its latest product will overcome the disappointing market performances of earlier models.

‘We believe iPod mini could become a huge success in Korea and other places such as China or Taiwan where flash-memory music players still dominate the market,’ said Yeo Eng Yiong, Apple’s portable devices product marketing manager for Asia-Pacific.

‘The main reason that iPod models didn’t catch on with Korean consumers in the past was the high prices for the products. However, iPod mini now comes at a very affordable price and we believe it will have a great success in Korea considering its huge advantage in storage capacity,’ he added.”

« Update: iPod 4G Audio Problems

How to turn your iPod into an infrared remote »

Comments

I ordered a brand new blue ipod mini on amazon.com and it arrived in three days in perfect working condition (so far).

Posted by mjd on August 29, 2004 at 8:59 AM (PDT)

Ordered my silver mini from UK Applestore 26th July.  Arrived 27th August.  Stopped working today.  Completely dead.

Posted by badly annoyed boy on August 29, 2004 at 11:13 AM (PDT)

‘The main reason that iPod models didn’t catch on with Korean consumers in the past was the high prices for the products.”
Come on…Yeo Eng Yion. Tell The Truth!! I think he has made an excuse on his statement.
The reason why iPod (and other apple’s products) is not selling well in Korea? Apple Korea offer very little support(and after sales service) for their customers. Every Korean Mac fans and iPod fans need a lot of encourage and disadvantages to buy an Apple products.  Of course, Yeo Eng Yion will not admit his inexperience and lack of knowledge for this particular market.

“..... where flash-memory music players still dominate the market..”

The other reason could be the country is the home place for iRiver, Samsung, Zen, D*Cube and many others.

Posted by Yeo Eng Yion's comments is mis-leading on September 7, 2004 at 2:42 PM (PDT)

I actally surched for iPod mini menu key defects, and found this as i have also had the same problem (UK). I got a gold iPod mini which seemed to work fine for 3 or so days and then on like after the thrid charge i tryed to light up the back light by holding down the menu key, as you do, and it would’nt work so i pressed and pressed and nothing happend, until the next day when it began to work again, but it was a joke because as soon as i got my hopes up it failed again. The problem with mine was that it would work inconsitantly and so it became a stress to use. I took it back and got a refund, im gunna waite until the next batch comes in to the UK some time in oct/sep i recon. PS as i had mine for only a few days, i left the plastic sticker over the click weel the entire time. Mabie this had somthing to do with it, but if alot of other people had the same menu key prob then its doubtful!!!

Posted by iPodge on September 14, 2004 at 4:34 AM (PDT)

Posted by iPodge on September 14, 2004 at 4:35 AM (PDT)

Doe!! Posted twice lol!!

Posted by iPodge on September 14, 2004 at 4:37 AM (PDT)

haihss.. after reading all these stuff bout the buttons not working and bla bla, it seems so not worth it to get one..

Posted by dEE on September 22, 2004 at 11:33 PM (PDT)

Just bought my ipod mini blue today (USA). Have the same menu button problem. The unit was DOA.

Posted by splat on October 6, 2004 at 9:40 PM (PDT)

I have a pink ipod mini, and it will still play music but the menu button won’t work. The back light will still turn on and off, but other than that, nothing. I didn’t realize this was a common problem. It was fine for about a month, then one day I fell asleep listening to it, and that’s when it started. Does anyone know if resetting the ipod will fix it?

Posted by lee23n46 on October 10, 2004 at 3:38 AM (PDT)

face it u american fattys!!!
the ipod mini was designed by a Brit!
Not an american.
See that i didn’t put a capital letter in america HA!!!

Posted by Gettin ipod mini for crimbo on October 10, 2004 at 8:58 AM (PDT)

where is a good place to buy a mini ipod in the US? im going there next friday and really want to buy one!! plz help…

Posted by Leanne on October 25, 2004 at 9:53 AM (PDT)

Just got mine last night (Ipod 40Gigs), this morning when I tried to use the menu button to go to previous menu it doesn’t work. Only the back light come on and off. This sucks!

Posted by Gynseng on October 28, 2004 at 4:32 AM (PDT)

Hey you guys, thanks for posting your experiences in this forum. Now I know I’m not alone :(

Live in Canada, bought mini Ipod in Canada.

Got I mini Ipod for my girlfriend for her birthday only a month ago, and suddenly this past week the buttons are not working like eveybody else is posting. It’s annoying when you have a fully charged ipod, and suddenly you can’t turn it off!!

Just to remind you guys, the mini ipod is a great british desing, sponsored by a californian company (apple) but manufactured in china (Great!).
Nothing I have against any asian countries, I’m getting marry to a beautiful korean woman, but honestly I would trust a device manufactured in any asian country IF, and only IF wasn’t china.
Sorry, but chinese products are wordly famouse for being the capital of the “dollar quality sh** stuff”.

Oh boy, back to the store to get a replacement or a repair.. let’s see if I can’t get a brand new one..

Posted by Ipod rocks, but ipod menu button sucks... on October 31, 2004 at 5:04 PM (PDT)

Same menus problems here in the US. A couple guys I work with and myself all bought the pink iPod mini’s as christmas gifts from the Apple Store here in Orlando, FL, US. We are all experiencing the problems with the click wheel. Sometimes we cannot even control the volume because there is some sensitivity issue going on. Menu, back, next, play / pause buttons only work rarely. Hard to navigate through the menus and can’t even turn it off at times.

Posted by ozone567 in Orlando, FL, USA on December 29, 2004 at 6:53 AM (PDT)

More menu problems for iPod mini bought 12/04. In playlist - menu or pause does not work, hold button goes back through the menu by switching back and forth. Same problems as above.

This is an assembled in China machine. Bringing it back to the Apple Store, will let you know how I get on.

Posted by Shane Clarke in San Francisco on January 13, 2005 at 1:15 PM (PDT)

We had the menu button problem on our silver mini ipod model A1051.  Reseting the ipod fixed it perfectly.  (We did not lose any of our songs, either.)  On page 48 of the User’s Guide (034-2596-A), it says most problems can be solved quickly, including by resetting ipod mini.  To reset, connect to power outlet using power adapter, toggle hold switch on and off (set to hold on, then set to hold off), then press and hold Menu and Select (center) button for at least 6 seconds until apple logo appears.

Posted by junky on February 21, 2005 at 8:58 AM (PDT)

The problem is not over.!!
I have had two units that have the menu key problem. The last was delivered in Feb 2005
What is going on. How can Apple ignore this.
It must be software as the reset works using the menu key select combination.
Time to seek compensation I think

Posted by auditdata in UK on March 12, 2005 at 11:38 PM (PDT)

Oh, weird. It seems to happen all over the place. I’m from Canada. My friend asked me to fix hers, because its Menu button is broken, as well. It’s odd. I’m pretty sure though, that completely wiping the hard disk and re-installing the software would fix it.

You know… Apple has probably fixed the problem with a FirmWare update. Don’t forget to update your iPod’s Firmware regularly…

Posted by Beau IXI on April 22, 2005 at 12:14 PM (PDT)

I have had my iPod Mini for 6 months now and all of a sudden my menu button does not work.. I was thinking about completely wiping out the hard drive and reinstalling the software… Does this work? Has anyone done it?.. Please let me know ASAP

Posted by Denchak on June 9, 2005 at 4:52 AM (PDT)

I have the same menu button problem here is what i have done:
reset the ipod—does not work—-restored it (deleted everything) does not work—updated the firmware—-does not work—-used windows to format the ipod—-does not work—-HOWEVER when i enter diagnostic mode and do the KEY test—-it works fine
GOD only knows what the problem is—mine worked flawlessly for about 3 months
i’m so angry right now

Posted by VESAGO on July 3, 2005 at 12:21 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >