Apple releases iPod software update (trivia added) | iLounge News

Apple releases iPod software update (trivia added)

Apple has posted iPod Updater 2005-02-22, which includes updated versions of the software for use with various iPod models. According to the release notes, the update includes new software for the iPod mini (v1.3), iPod with Dock Connector (v2.3), iPod shuffle (v1.1), and iPod with Touch Wheel or Scroll Wheel (v1.5).

The iPod mini software update adds support for the newly introduced models and adds support for charging and syncing over USB with Mac OS X v10.2.8 or 10.3.4 or later.

The iPod shuffle software update adds support for the iPod shuffle Battery Pack and offers “increased software stability.”

The iPod software update for those devices with Dock Connectors, Touch Wheels or Scroll Wheels brings the Shuffle Songs and Music items into the Main Menu, and adds support for iTunes 4.7 or later.

Editors’ Note: Trivia buffs may be interested to know that Apple’s new 4GB and 6GB iPod minis come with an earlier “new” version of the iPod Updater, dated 2005-02-07, which differs from the company’s January 11, 2005 Updater only in that it contains version 1.3 of the iPod mini software. Was the 6GB iPod mini originally planned for release less than one month after the iPod shuffle?

« Apple ‘continues to increase competitive gap’ with new iPods

Apple intros 30GB iPod photo, Camera Connector, drops 40GB, prices »

Comments

I regret to announce that if you had track-skipping problems introduced with the iPod mini 1.2 firmware, they have not been resolved by running an Update to 1.3. I haven’t tried a full Restore yet.

I suspect that the USB-charging/syncing with Mac OS X etc. is actually the only change in the iPod mini firmware - the “support for the newly introduced models” merely alludes to the fact they don’t come with firewire cables or charges, so any remaining deficiencies with USB charging/syncing needed to be addressed in this update!

I’m disappointed that the skipping has remained though. I’m also disappointed that they haven’t introduced an option in the settings to point the “Shuffle Songs” item at a specific playlist (i.e. one that excludes podcasts…)

Posted by Magic Rabbits in Aberdeen, Scotland on February 23, 2005 at 6:43 AM (PDT)

apple has made a lot of older iPod users happy by adding the shuffle to the main menu.  Way to finally get this right apple.

Posted by purplestallion in Dallas, Texas on February 23, 2005 at 6:45 AM (PDT)

They FINALLY made an update for 1 and 2 generation iPods!  Small as it may be, it’s nice to see that Apple is still paying attention to us.

Posted by Whyren in Midwest on February 23, 2005 at 7:15 AM (PDT)

Magic Rabbits: Try creating a smart playlist that will exlude the genre “podcast” and then shuffle that. I actually removed the Shuffle Songs from my main menu as I rarely want a shuffle to include all my songs. Some how I find it hard to go from Metallica to Enya.

Posted by graphicgeek in Utica, NY on February 23, 2005 at 7:18 AM (PDT)

Hey Apple, here is a suggestion.  A talking Ipod that will read the MP3 tags and announce the name of the song, artist, and album before the song begins to play.  This would be a useful feature for anyone who carries the Ipod in a pocket or purse and can’t always see the display. Perfect for those occasions when you wonder just who did that song or what album it was from and can’t access the display easily to find out.

Posted by Fred H. on February 23, 2005 at 7:20 AM (PDT)

It seems like it should be easy to distinguish between when ‘shuffle songs’ applies to the whole collection, and when it merely shuffles a list that is already playing. That would be sooo nice…. but no.

Thanks for the update apple, but there is still work to be done.

Posted by Dijon on February 23, 2005 at 7:21 AM (PDT)

Shuffle on the main screen shuffles EVERYTHING on the iPod all together (except audibooks).

The shuffle TOGGLE in Settings controls whether you shuffle any playlist you choose.

The latter is far more useful I think—I took the everything-shuffle off my main menu.

Posted by Nagromme on February 23, 2005 at 7:40 AM (PDT)

yeah shuffle all doesn’t do me any good. If I could exlude PODCAST that might be better

Posted by John Wilker in Southern CA on February 23, 2005 at 7:49 AM (PDT)

yeah, I was looking forward to the shuffle menu option, but now see it shuffles everything and that’s unacceptable to me.

when you can just toggle shuffle from the main menu and it sets the ipod to shuffle which playlist you then select would be the only useable option for me…

out it goes from my main menu.

oh well…

Posted by mvague on February 23, 2005 at 7:50 AM (PDT)

Updated my iPod with Dock Connector to 2.3 (3rd Generation)

I now have:

Music on the menu
Shuffle songs

AND Multiple On The Go Playlists

Posted by Daveoc64 in UK on February 23, 2005 at 7:50 AM (PDT)

i can’t get this to work on my 4g.  i installed it and now i get a “ipod service error” on the updater software and itunes won’t recognize my ipod (saying something about needing to reinstall itunes).  i’ve reinstalled both of them and still can’t get it to work….  AARRGGHH!!!!

Posted by docslytherin on February 23, 2005 at 8:09 AM (PDT)

There were no updates for the 4G today, the most recent 4G update was in January (I think). Try using the older updater.

Posted by Daveoc64 in UK on February 23, 2005 at 8:10 AM (PDT)

wouldn’t the “Ipods with Doc Connectors” include 3rd and 4th gen?

Posted by John Wilker in Southern CA on February 23, 2005 at 8:19 AM (PDT)

One the big improvements in the iPod Shuffle 1.1 firmware is that it now plays non-iTunes encoded AAC files.  I have been able to play FAAC 1.24 encoded songs on my Shuffle with 1.1.

Posted by foopod on February 23, 2005 at 8:21 AM (PDT)

Apple usually uses “soft names” for the iPod models:
In order of release:
iPod with Scroll Wheel
iPod with Touch Wheel
iPod with Dock Connector
iPod mini
iPod with Click Wheel
iPod photo

Posted by Daveoc64 in UK on February 23, 2005 at 8:43 AM (PDT)

The iPod Shuffle still suffers from unwanted noise with the start and end of each song track.

Posted by Michael Kelly in Chicago, IL on February 23, 2005 at 9:09 AM (PDT)

I don’t know why Apple can’t put this in the release notes, but the iPod Shuffle 1.1 firmware also adds another new feature - pause when disconnecting the headphones.

Just like 4G iPods, if you remove the headphone plug while a song is playing, the iPod Shuffle 1.1will pause.  I had always wondered why this feature wasn’t supported on the Shuffle…

Posted by foopod on February 23, 2005 at 9:09 AM (PDT)

Well I wasn’t ever that big on Shuffe to begin with but, I for One would give Apple BIG PROPS!! For adding Audiobooks to the Main Menu!!

Now I gota reasion to reconvert all those old .Mp3’s into nice fresh .M4b’s!!! smile

Posted by Ichijoe in Deutschland on February 23, 2005 at 9:15 AM (PDT)

So are there any updates for the 4G and does anyone know if this breaks HYMN compatibility?

Posted by NeoteriX in Houston, TX or Westchester County, NY on February 23, 2005 at 9:38 AM (PDT)

They also changed the “battery chargin” icon for the 3G iPods, it no longer has incremental bars but fills all the way in.

Posted by sp1083 on February 23, 2005 at 9:58 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >