Apple releases iPod software update (trivia added) | iLounge News

Apple releases iPod software update (trivia added)

Apple has posted iPod Updater 2005-02-22, which includes updated versions of the software for use with various iPod models. According to the release notes, the update includes new software for the iPod mini (v1.3), iPod with Dock Connector (v2.3), iPod shuffle (v1.1), and iPod with Touch Wheel or Scroll Wheel (v1.5).

The iPod mini software update adds support for the newly introduced models and adds support for charging and syncing over USB with Mac OS X v10.2.8 or 10.3.4 or later.

The iPod shuffle software update adds support for the iPod shuffle Battery Pack and offers “increased software stability.”

The iPod software update for those devices with Dock Connectors, Touch Wheels or Scroll Wheels brings the Shuffle Songs and Music items into the Main Menu, and adds support for iTunes 4.7 or later.

Editors’ Note: Trivia buffs may be interested to know that Apple’s new 4GB and 6GB iPod minis come with an earlier “new” version of the iPod Updater, dated 2005-02-07, which differs from the company’s January 11, 2005 Updater only in that it contains version 1.3 of the iPod mini software. Was the 6GB iPod mini originally planned for release less than one month after the iPod shuffle?

« Apple ‘continues to increase competitive gap’ with new iPods

Apple intros 30GB iPod photo, Camera Connector, drops 40GB, prices »

Comments

Maybe I didn’t notice that before and so I’m wrong but it seems to me there is a new feature in new SW: I own a 3G and now when iPod plays a playlist, it’s name is shown in the top bar (where usually there an “iPod” or the clock)

Posted by CortoMaltese on February 23, 2005 at 12:52 PM (CST)

I don’t think I noticed the Playlist name being there either. Maybe it is new.

Posted by Daveoc64 in UK on February 23, 2005 at 12:57 PM (CST)

when, o when dear Lord is Apple going to add crossfade (i.e., removing gaps between playing songs) to ipods - not just iTunes???
This is terribly frustrating!

Posted by nocrossfade in mexico on February 23, 2005 at 1:04 PM (CST)

At last! It was so unfair that they weren’t updating the older models with these features, as it would have been so easy to do so. I know they’re nothing major, but hey. I’m happy.

Posted by iPodNod in London, UK on February 23, 2005 at 1:06 PM (CST)

FINALLY 3G UPDATES!! WOO HOO!! :D

Posted by ipodman715 on February 23, 2005 at 1:28 PM (CST)

More, when you browse your music and play a song belonging to an album, the name of the album is shown in the top bar.
If you browse by genre, than it’s name is shown.
In few words in the top bar the last “search criteria” is shown
I think this featrue is really nice

Posted by CortoMaltese on February 23, 2005 at 2:03 PM (CST)

So, does this update correct the error I get if my ipod goes into *deep sleep*?

Posted by dnoble9 in maryland on February 23, 2005 at 2:33 PM (CST)

This would have been a nice oppertunity for Apple to move the Album name scrolling into the older iPods, just like it does on the iPod photo.  I had to rename all the U2 albums so I didn’t have to navigate the 40+ albums seeing only “(The Complete U2…”.

Posted by MKM on February 23, 2005 at 2:43 PM (CST)

This ‘shuffle songs’ option doesn’t seem to offer anything new.  I wonder why it exists.  Before (and since) the update if I choose play on my 3G iPod from the main menu the iPod would play a random song or album based on the shuffle settings within the ‘settings’ menu.

‘Shuffle Songs’ seems to do the same.  Why?

What’s the point?

Marky

Posted by Sir Alien in United Kingdom on February 23, 2005 at 3:01 PM (CST)

It’s to make it faster. Turn on, scroll to “Shuffle Songs” then press select.

Instead of going through all of the options etc…

Posted by Daveoc64 in UK on February 23, 2005 at 3:06 PM (CST)

Gee I wonder about Apples new found generosity. Paint me skeptical but, given the fact that there was nothing to update in that long strain of iPod Updates’ over the course last Year. One wonders if this update insn’t ‘Two Fold’. One to quell those type that incently whin! (Well I don’t buy it, or we’d have Gapless too by now!). Or if this is the iPodOS we were promised that would break Real’s Helix DRM’ed Files! The other reasion might be to keep interested Third Party (Read Hackers), from doing such things themselves with iPodWizard!

As for the first reasion I personaly don’t really care as I’d reather eat Dirt then support Real! But, given there was no change to 2.2 needing one to update this would be a nice FAT CARROT for us Mules’ to keep using there iTMS. Therefore I would tell the Real Supporters out ther to Beware!!

Posted by Ichijoe in Deutschland on February 23, 2005 at 5:07 PM (CST)

Contrary to my initial response, this Update is critical to Shuffle users as it solves the annoying noise problem. Thank you Apple! Silence is golden and the music is FANTASTIC!

Posted by Michael Kelly in Chicago, IL on February 23, 2005 at 5:18 PM (CST)

Shuffle songs on the main menu is great!  The only way I iisten to my iPod is to shuffle all songs all the time.  Personally, I wouldn’t mind Metallica followed by Enya, though in my case it would be, say The Smiths followed by Enya!

Posted by rmbracalente on February 23, 2005 at 5:54 PM (CST)

Some thoughts on the update for 3G. The battery meter has always been solid since firmware 2.1 or 2.2. The screen at the top has always displayed the name of your album or playlist (as far as I can remember). The only thing this adds is Music and Shuffle to the main menu.

To the nay-sayers who think Shuffle All Songs is a waste of an update, this is exactly the update that people have been clamoring for since the 4Gs came out. I dislike it when some people beg for an update, and then complain that it isn’t enough or wasn’t what they expected. The update is exactly what is available on 4G iPods. I actually like the Shuffle All option. It lets me leave shuffle turned off in my main settings, and still shuffle my entire library when I feel like it.

As far as excluding podasts from the shuffle, if you convert the MP3s to AAC and then make them bookmarkable (with an AppleScript or other method) the iPod recognizes them as “audiobooks” and will exclude them from shuffle. The new version of iPodderX for OS X does this automatically for you.

Posted by Chris VandeVenter in Bismarck, ND on February 23, 2005 at 7:11 PM (CST)

The charging screen for the 3G when it is in sleep is different.  Instead of the spaces in between the metres, it is now fully filled.

Posted by ipodman715 on February 23, 2005 at 7:13 PM (CST)

ipodman – you are right. I hadn’t needed to charge my iPod yet, so didn’t notice until checking just now. I thought other posters were referring to the meter at the top of the iPod while it is operational.

Posted by Chris VandeVenter in Bismarck, ND on February 23, 2005 at 9:31 PM (CST)

I’ve just updated my 20gb 3G iPod and now have a photo option?? whats all that about?? I don’t remember seeing it before… could it be the camera adapter will work?? you may have to add it to your main menu via the settings option.

Posted by BigTallGuy on February 23, 2005 at 10:13 PM (CST)

I bought my iPod almost a year ago and I must say that as time goes by I like it less and less and get more and more frustrated as I find more and more features that really should be in the iPod isn’t there. There are just SO many small, small things Apple could do to improve the iPod. They wouldn’t take more than a couple of hours programming, so what are they waiting for? Just a few examples:

* There should be a “Shuffle”-option everywhere. I would like to be able to choose an artist, album, playlist or genre and select “shuffle” inside that choice.

* The “Compilations”-feature in iTunes is great, why not transfer it to the iPod? It would make it SO much easier to navigate your music.

...and so on… as I said, there are lots of small improvements they could give us. Then when it comes to iTunes… don’t get me started…

Posted by Olf in Singapore on February 23, 2005 at 10:28 PM (CST)

I was quite content with my 3rd Gen beforehand, so this update is a nice little bonus.  A few superficial changes, clean up the menu a bit, it’s all good to me. the only downside to it was the fact I mssed up with the updater, and had to reinstall Itunes eventually, losing my play counts and ratings etc. it’s not that bad, It could have been a lot worse… Anyways, Apple gets a thumb up for actually giving us 3rd gen owners a tangible update lol.

Posted by Jeff C. on February 23, 2005 at 10:37 PM (CST)

>This ‘shuffle songs’ option doesn’t seem to offer >anything new. I wonder why it exists. Before >(and since) the update if I choose play on my >3G iPod from the main menu the iPod would >play a random song or album based on the >shuffle settings within the ‘settings’ menu.

>‘Shuffle Songs’ seems to do the same. Why?

>What’s the point?

>Marky
————-
>It’s to make it faster. Turn on, scroll to “Shuffle >Songs” then press select.
> Instead of going through all of the options etc…
>By Daveoc64 on Feb 23, 05 2:06 pm

———-

What nonsense.  How can it be faster?  The shuffle songs menu item takes it’s settings from the ‘shuffle songs’ option in ‘settings’ AS I SAID.
note…
1.main menu..press play..random song or album
2.main menu..scroll to ‘shuffle songs’..press play…random song or album.

It’s not quicker.  It does the same.

Marky

Posted by Sir Alien in United Kingdom on February 23, 2005 at 11:43 PM (CST)

Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 >