Apple releases iPod software update (trivia added) | iLounge News

Apple releases iPod software update (trivia added)

Apple has posted iPod Updater 2005-02-22, which includes updated versions of the software for use with various iPod models. According to the release notes, the update includes new software for the iPod mini (v1.3), iPod with Dock Connector (v2.3), iPod shuffle (v1.1), and iPod with Touch Wheel or Scroll Wheel (v1.5).

The iPod mini software update adds support for the newly introduced models and adds support for charging and syncing over USB with Mac OS X v10.2.8 or 10.3.4 or later.

The iPod shuffle software update adds support for the iPod shuffle Battery Pack and offers “increased software stability.”

The iPod software update for those devices with Dock Connectors, Touch Wheels or Scroll Wheels brings the Shuffle Songs and Music items into the Main Menu, and adds support for iTunes 4.7 or later.

Editors’ Note: Trivia buffs may be interested to know that Apple’s new 4GB and 6GB iPod minis come with an earlier “new” version of the iPod Updater, dated 2005-02-07, which differs from the company’s January 11, 2005 Updater only in that it contains version 1.3 of the iPod mini software. Was the 6GB iPod mini originally planned for release less than one month after the iPod shuffle?

« Apple ‘continues to increase competitive gap’ with new iPods

Apple intros 30GB iPod photo, Camera Connector, drops 40GB, prices »

Comments

What I want to know more than anything else for my 3G with Dock is does this FINALLY remove the pointless “OK to Disconnect” screen that appeared in ver 2.1?
It stops you from docking your iPod, syncing with iTunes, undocking from iTunes and playing via the dock’s line-out port.

Posted by Chris Matchett in London on February 24, 2005 at 3:31 AM (CST)

bigtallguy - the photo import option was there before. i have a 40gig 3g still running 2.2 and it’s in my main menu as an option. not sure why it’s there as photos on a blue screen would be a waste of time.

Posted by skiddy1903 in scotland on February 24, 2005 at 4:09 AM (CST)

the thing that gets me annoyed about this update is that i could have bought a discounted 3G ipod when the 4G were released and have EXACTLY the same stuff on it except the grey clickwheel and a whole heap of accesories for aobut $100 bucks (AUS$) cheaper! it seems rather unfair.  to pay that 100 dollars for 4hrs batery life and grey clickwheel.  people…if you wanna buy an ipod..get the discounted versions..they make so much more sense and they should get updated anyway!

Posted by the llama in GoodolOZY on February 24, 2005 at 4:33 AM (CST)

Question is anyone out there with a 3erd Gen, also haveing problems playing there Harmony DRM’ed Tracks’? :)

Thanks Apple! How dare I even think to stab you in the iTMS Back!!

Posted by Ichijoe in Deutschland on February 24, 2005 at 5:19 AM (CST)

llama: these additional features of a half-useless Shuffle option and renaming of Browse to Music don’t compare so well to 4 hours bettery life and a clickwheel.

Posted by Chris Matchett in London on February 24, 2005 at 5:28 AM (CST)

Regarding my initial post about the iPod mini’s track skipping prob in 1.2 - when I updated to 1.3 the problem was still there. But I hadn’t resync’d with iTunes that point. After I had resync’d yesterday, I’ve not been able to reproduce the skipping at all. Hooray!!! Looks like perhaps it was a bug in the building of directory information on the iPod during a resync? I do hope that’s it sorted now!

Posted by Magic Rabbits in Aberdeen, Scotland on February 24, 2005 at 5:47 AM (CST)

The top of the screen in V2.2 software for 3G iPods says “Now Playing” for me when playing playlists, so I guess if what someone said about it having the playlist title there that is new.

Also is the multiple on the go playlist option for 3G true?! I’m downloading it now and if it is I’ll be over the moon, that would make it an update worth having :D

Posted by blythy on February 24, 2005 at 5:50 AM (CST)

It does have multiple On the Go playlists!!!!!
I assume this is new to this update but it is not mentioned in the original article, just by some of these posts.

THIS IS BIG!!!!!
Way to go.

Posted by Scott Windmiller on February 24, 2005 at 6:00 AM (CST)

Ok, let’s recap. What is new is that now, when you browse your iPod (for songs, settings, whatever) in the top bar there is the name of the last menu you choose. And so, If you’re playing a Playlist, the last thing you clicked on before starting the compilation is exactly the name of the playlist. On the other side if you’re for instance searching for a song in the Rock genre, the last thing you clicked on before selecting the song was “Rock” and so in the top bar you read “Rock”. This is a new feature. I’m quite sure

Posted by CortoMaltese on February 24, 2005 at 6:29 AM (CST)

Multiple On-The-Go playlists seems to work on my 3G now. You can ‘Save’ an On-The-Go playlist. Also, clicking and holding on a song while it’s in the On-The-Go playlist deletes it!

Posted by JWF on February 24, 2005 at 9:42 AM (CST)

>What nonsense. How can it be faster? The shuffle songs menu item takes it’s settings from the ‘shuffle songs’ option in ‘settings’ AS I SAID.
note…
>1.main menu..press play..random song or album
>2.main menu..scroll to ‘shuffle songs’..press play…random song or album.

>It’s not quicker. It does the same.

>Marky

If I have Shuffle set to “Off” in the settings menu I can just select “Shuffle Songs” from the main menu and my entire library is shuffled and played. How is that slower than going into options then Shuffle then setting it to Songs then pressing play?

Posted by Daveoc64 in UK on February 24, 2005 at 10:10 AM (CST)

This seems like a good update with the OTG playlists saving and deleting songs!  I just upgraded to a 4G! :P

Posted by ipodman715 on February 24, 2005 at 10:20 AM (CST)

3G ^ btw.

Posted by ipodman715 on February 24, 2005 at 10:21 AM (CST)

Better battery life I hope!

Posted by ipodman715 on February 24, 2005 at 2:08 PM (CST)

??? >>> When ever I restore my iPod through any iPod Updater, in the end, it askes me to flash the memory by connection the iPod to a wall charger. The part I don’t get is the new generation iPods, (the new mini & photo) do not include wall chargers, how are you supposed to update now?

Posted by sdcacevedo on February 24, 2005 at 2:52 PM (CST)

Is the following article true about the new iPod firmware having ads starting in march?

Posted by Nolan Touchstone on February 24, 2005 at 3:41 PM (CST)

That link says, “The new firmware will automatically be installed the next time users synch their iPod.”
So you don’t have a choice anyway. Cos nothing will happen. I’d choose a more reliable source of news mate.

Posted by Chris Matchett in London on February 24, 2005 at 5:11 PM (CST)

I did not think it was true but it was the second result when i did a google search for the new firmware.

Posted by Nolan Touchstone on February 24, 2005 at 6:51 PM (CST)

A 40MB download! Why so big?

Posted by robroe in Manchester, UK on February 28, 2005 at 1:26 PM (CST)

Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3