Apple releases iPod update with maximum volume limit | iLounge News

Apple releases iPod update with maximum volume limit

In response to recent concerns of potential hearing loss, Apple has announced an iPod software update that provides the ability to set a personal maximum volume limit on the fifth-generation iPod and iPod nano. The version 1.1.1 update also gives parents the ability to set a volume limit on their child’s iPod and lock it with a combination code. Update: An iLounge tutorial on the new feature is now available online.

Much attention has been paid recently to possible hearing problems caused by iPods. A Northwestern University professor and audiologist said in December that the type of earbud headphones that come with iPods can cause serious hearing loss. Apple was even sued by an iPod owner earlier this year who claims that the device causes hearing loss and Apple does not properly warn users of this danger. Apple has now set up a Sound and Hearing page on its site explaining audio volume and how to “listen responsibly.”

“As the leading provider of digital music players, Apple continuously brings iPod customers innovative and easy to use solutions,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s vice president of Worldwide iPod Product Marketing. “With the increased attention in this area, we want to offer customers an easy to use option to set their own personal volume limit.”

« NBC’s Scrubs added to iTunes Music Store

iHome reveals iH52, iH7 iPod speaker systems »

Comments

Seems to me that the update is not released yet. When I click on the link I only get the 2006-01-10 updater.

Posted by m0nkey on March 29, 2006 at 9:21 AM (CST)

It’s up now :)

Posted by Bill on March 29, 2006 at 9:29 AM (CST)

Damn, the update I was hoping for fixes the video playback problems.

Posted by Xaq Fixx on March 29, 2006 at 9:30 AM (CST)

“Powers that be, please protect us from ourselves!”

This is a joke.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on March 29, 2006 at 9:32 AM (CST)

That’s a good move for health even if in France, we already have iPod with limited volume…

Posted by Steph on March 29, 2006 at 9:33 AM (CST)

I have mine too loud so would quite like this change. Especially when I am drunk (often). Shame its not for my 3G

Posted by Waz on March 29, 2006 at 9:34 AM (CST)

Wow. One update? I’m pretty disappointed. I hope they come up with more updates soon.

Posted by Wrekognized on March 29, 2006 at 9:37 AM (CST)

Wow, no “legacy” update?  Bad business move.  How does Apple expect to sell 6th gen iPods to all the deaf 4th gen iPod owners?

Posted by FedUp on March 29, 2006 at 9:49 AM (CST)

Fortunately, there’s a great new device on the market that works not only with the iPod, but ALL other digital music players as well and it’s guaranteed to prevent hearing damage.  As a matter of fact, it works with ANYTHING that could possibly cause harm to you, your friends, and your loved ones.  It’s a universal product and it works with any and all languages.  It works regardless of your race, country of origin, creed or religion.  And the best part is:  It’s FREE!

It’s called PERSONAL FREAKIN’ RESPONSIBILITY!!!

Available everywhere now!

Posted by Stymyx on March 29, 2006 at 9:59 AM (CST)

I’m glad this doesn’t FORCE you to limit the volume.

Posted by dansgil on March 29, 2006 at 10:00 AM (CST)

What the heck update is needed?  What possible software update is needed to provide the ability to set a personal maximum volume limit??  Doesn’t EVERY single iPod come with a VOLUME CONTROL?  Sheesh.  I suppose the nanny state lovers amoung us will applaud this as “responsble”.

Someone, PLEASE SAVE US FROM OURSELVES!

What a bunch of weak-minded ninnies we have become.

Posted by Obadiah on March 29, 2006 at 10:01 AM (CST)

this is actually a very good update.  I know kids who play their ipods as loud as they go.  parents will now be able to stop this stupid behavior.  While some may argue you are stupid if you need this update, a lot of kids are stupid in this regard.

Posted by ted on March 29, 2006 at 10:11 AM (CST)

Like the guy said above, this is a good update for little kids, but useless for everyone else.

Posted by writeous on March 29, 2006 at 10:28 AM (CST)

I don’t understand why people are whining about this.  It’s basically just a second type of volume control, which the adult end user can control and turn on (or off) at will.

Posted by Jim G on March 29, 2006 at 10:30 AM (CST)

Stupid Apple.  I like the fact that they seem to have lost the ability to make new firmware for iPods older than 6 months.  This is disgusting of Apple.  I wont be bothering with them in the future.

I got burned with the lack of support for my old 3G iPod, and now they don’t even bother to update my 4G Photo with anything meaningful.

Posted by Tone on March 29, 2006 at 10:36 AM (CST)

Although I have no problem with Apple releasing this update, it would be nice if they could fix the bugs before adding this non-urgent feature.

Posted by Daveoc64 on March 29, 2006 at 10:51 AM (CST)

Does anybody know if this update fixes the video playback problem with the 60 Gb 5G iPod, or do I still need to leave my iPod running the original software? I would like to update, but I got burned last time I did…

Posted by Edmond Dantes on March 29, 2006 at 10:55 AM (CST)

I too am disappointed that a firmare update does not apply to older iPods. This is definitely a nice feature to help monitor a child’s listening volume.

I have actually been using european updates on my child’s iPod to limit the volume, although that only helps a bit.

Posted by consumer_q on March 29, 2006 at 11:00 AM (CST)

As a father of a 5 year old, I really like this new feature. Now I can let him listen to my iPod with a maximum volume that I set and I don’t have to worry about him intentionally or accidentally setting the volume up too high. Moreover he can now have the fun of being allowed to change the volume, within the limit - that kind of thing is fun for a 5 year old boy. The suit may be frivolous, but the feature is not, and so if it took a lawsuit to make it happen, then that’s fine with me. Certainly Apple had no plan to add this nifty feature prior to the lawsuit. So I say “yeah” for the lawsuit.

Posted by sjonke in Maryland, US on March 29, 2006 at 11:00 AM (CST)

Edmond - are you aware that updates to the various conversion software resolved those playback issues? For example, Handbrake and iSquint both now produce video that plays perfectly with the firmware upgraded 5g iPods, even before this new update. I.e. this may well have not been a bug in the firmware update, rather a problem with those tools not producing video fit for the standard which previously went uncovered. I don’t know who was at fault, but the problem is effectively gone anyway, although you’ll have to re-encode an old videos you have laying about. Just get the latest versions of iSquint and Handbrake.

The one real bug in the last (iPod remote-enabling) firmware update is the repeating star ratings screen bug. I can only presume that that has been fixed by this new update (it does say that it has bug fixes), but I haven’t installed it yet so can’t verify.

Posted by sjonke in Maryland, US on March 29, 2006 at 11:06 AM (CST)

Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›