Apple releases iPod update with maximum volume limit
In response to recent concerns of potential hearing loss, Apple has announced an iPod software update that provides the ability to set a personal maximum volume limit on the fifth-generation iPod and iPod nano. The version 1.1.1 update also gives parents the ability to set a volume limit on their child’s iPod and lock it with a combination code. Update: An iLounge tutorial on the new feature is now available online.
Much attention has been paid recently to possible hearing problems caused by iPods. A Northwestern University professor and audiologist said in December that the type of earbud headphones that come with iPods can cause serious hearing loss. Apple was even sued by an iPod owner earlier this year who claims that the device causes hearing loss and Apple does not properly warn users of this danger. Apple has now set up a Sound and Hearing page on its site explaining audio volume and how to “listen responsibly.”
“As the leading provider of digital music players, Apple continuously brings iPod customers innovative and easy to use solutions,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s vice president of Worldwide iPod Product Marketing. “With the increased attention in this area, we want to offer customers an easy to use option to set their own personal volume limit.”
- Twitter CEO hints at larger Spotlight integration
- Apple releases second iOS 8.4 beta to developers
- Apple planning to release new iPod touch later this year?
- YouTube app won’t work on older Apple TVs, versions of iOS starting in May
- Apple releases iOS 8.4 beta to developers, with new Music app
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- OpenTV sues Apple for alleged patent infringement
- Report: Apple still missing key music streaming deals in time for WWDC debut
- Apple TV adds Shomi, CraveTV channels in Canada
- Apple TV adds CBS Sports, USA Now channels
- GE’s intelligent LED lightbulbs will work with HomeKit
- Apple releases band design guidelines for Apple Watch
- New Apple TV remote to have touchpad
- Report: New 12.9” iPad will feature Force Touch, Bluetooth stylus, NFC
- Apple asking music labels to kill Spotify’s free streaming tier
- Apple updates support article confirming Apple Watch tattoo issue
- AKG Y50 On-Ear Headphones
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 SonicPro Over-Ear Headphones
- Mobee Technology Magic Case 6 for iPhone 6
- Uniq Transforma for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Skech SkechBook for iPad Air 2 + iPad mini 3
- Yurbuds Liberty Wireless Earphones
- Apple Watch
- Zagg Pocket Keyboard
- Adonit Jot Script 2
- Rokform Rokfolio Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?