Apple releases iPod update with maximum volume limit | iLounge News

Apple releases iPod update with maximum volume limit

In response to recent concerns of potential hearing loss, Apple has announced an iPod software update that provides the ability to set a personal maximum volume limit on the fifth-generation iPod and iPod nano. The version 1.1.1 update also gives parents the ability to set a volume limit on their child’s iPod and lock it with a combination code. Update: An iLounge tutorial on the new feature is now available online.

Much attention has been paid recently to possible hearing problems caused by iPods. A Northwestern University professor and audiologist said in December that the type of earbud headphones that come with iPods can cause serious hearing loss. Apple was even sued by an iPod owner earlier this year who claims that the device causes hearing loss and Apple does not properly warn users of this danger. Apple has now set up a Sound and Hearing page on its site explaining audio volume and how to “listen responsibly.”

“As the leading provider of digital music players, Apple continuously brings iPod customers innovative and easy to use solutions,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s vice president of Worldwide iPod Product Marketing. “With the increased attention in this area, we want to offer customers an easy to use option to set their own personal volume limit.”

« NBC’s Scrubs added to iTunes Music Store

iHome reveals iH52, iH7 iPod speaker systems »

Comments

And how old are you my friend?? I may be 14 but at least I’m mature enough to not criticize other people posts directly. It’s happened to me enough so that I know how CRAPPY it can make people feel.

I don’t know if you read the rest of my post but out of all that I don’t understand why you felt the need to zero in on those 4 or 5 sentences concerning people whining.

Gimme a break man I’m only 14. lol

Posted by Werewolf on March 29, 2006 at 2:45 PM (CST)

You have a point iSick they are coming in rather rapidly. I don’t care much for the newer fancy stuff. To me, all the new products really just means that the older things are getting cheaper. I have a 4GB nano and would really like an iPod color with more memory a year or two from now. Hopefully by then they’ll be pretty cheap. I mean, they already are sorta…

Posted by Werewolf on March 29, 2006 at 2:49 PM (CST)

Ya know David, I was just thinking the same thing. When I bought my portable cd-man 7 or so years ago, did I expect Philips to keep it updated, fix it all the time, constantly make it better, etc.? Of course not. Yet people constantly complain about iPods becoming “obsolete” every couple months (which, by the way, could not be more untrue - my iPod from 3 years ago still plays music. That’s what it’s designed to do. And therefore, it is in no way obsolete just because newer iPods with newer features come out. A car from 2001 isn’t obsolete just because the 2005 model is different. But I digress.)

I guess that’s a bit of a tangent from the subject at hand. Sorry.

Posted by Jason on March 29, 2006 at 3:43 PM (CST)

This is a cool update, now I can use the volume sensibly without having to worry about going past my hearing tolerance or if I forget to put the hold switch on.

my volume is usully here before the update

Music volume
___________
||————-

Video Volume
____________
||||————

_________________________________________

After the update with the volume limiter on

Music volume
___________
||||||||||-

Video Volume
____________
||||||||||||

Nice one Apple
:-)

Cheers

Posted by rob 80386 on March 29, 2006 at 4:36 PM (CST)

This is a very good update.  I’m tired of accidently blaring the volume all the way, even for a second because my thumb slipped… or because my friend turned it up on me while I wasn’t paying attention.  I’ll definitely use it… set the limit to 60% or whatever is the reccomended and then I’ll feel safer with it.  Thanks apple!

Posted by Adam on March 29, 2006 at 4:43 PM (CST)

Stymyx - could you please help me get my 15yr old son to exhibit some PERSONAL FREAKIN’ RESPONSIBILITY!!! and avoid permanent damage to his ears?  Good luck with that! :-)

I’ve got the tinitus to show for years of teenage (and later) abuse of my ears - I’d like to spare him that experience if I can.  Any suggestions?

I’m not flaming you here - just trying to support what looks like a sensible option for those who choose to use it.

Posted by 99Honeyburst on March 29, 2006 at 4:47 PM (CST)

99Honeyburst - I’m backin’ ya up on that. This is a useful thing and now I don’t ever have my volume higher than I want it to be.

I actually thought of something… an alternative… I was thinking about WHY anyone would want their volume up too high and I guess the only reasons I came up with are 1) You (or at least I can) hear parts of the music better with the volume higher and 2) It’s cool when you’re a teen to have other people able to hear your headphones from 4 yards away. I have a solution. The other day I bought some Sony MDR-G54LP behind-the-head headphones. They solve both problems! They sound amazing and they give off a TON of sound! Not to mention they’re pretty comfortable. My parents always ask me if my music is really loud and it never is. These headphones leak a lot of sound and still sound really nice. Only $20!! Honestly, I would rather just get the FREE FREAKIN’ IPOD UPDATE if I just wanted to control how loud my child’s music was. Either way these are great headphones but I think you catch my drift by now.

GOOD FREAKIN’ LUCK!! =D

Posted by Werewolf on March 29, 2006 at 5:27 PM (CST)

This is a fantastic idea if for no other reason than it is easy to accidently change the volume when it is in your pocket. The click wheel is too sensitive and you can end up blasting your head off accidently. This is even more so with in-ear earphones which only need the volume half as high for the same amount of decibels in your ear drum.

So let’s not hear any talk about this being a silly idea. It’s not.

Posted by Countach on March 29, 2006 at 6:47 PM (CST)

You people who whine about personal responsibility are either complete morons or just don’t get it because you haven’t bothered to think.  I am all about personal responsibility.  If you want to supersize your fast food meals, go ahead.  If you want to ride bicycles without helmets, go ahead—we don’t need legislation to dictate our limitations to us when we could use reason.  But the volume-limiter is merely expanding our options—it is an optional safeguard that does not have to be used!  However, if you have a need for it because like me you are sick of your cased ipod jumping to unsafe volume levels due to either static or cell phone signals, then this may be the perfect solution.  For God’s sake you don’t have to use this feature if you don’t want to!  If you feel the need to complain, go find something relevant to complain about.

Posted by jarofchris on March 29, 2006 at 7:17 PM (CST)

Right on jarofchris!!

Posted by Werewolf on March 29, 2006 at 10:36 PM (CST)

No ones complaining about the VL werewolf. People are complaining about the original incident that brought this VL into existance. One idiot and a bunch of ambulance chasers who decided to make a dumb law suit.

People need to take more responsibility for there actions. The VL is a cool idea. Just the means that made this happen are dumb. It would have been less offensive if you had a group of parents demanding this. Not someone obvioulsy doing it just for the money and because they are idiots. If this person was a concerned parent then okay, that’s different. The man is an adult saying that he was to dumb to turn down the volume. A short burt of loud music every so oftern (like accidently cutting the vol up) isn’t going to cause hearing lost. Prolong exposure to loud noises cause it. Only idiots suffer from that.

Posted by Glorybox3737 on March 29, 2006 at 11:23 PM (CST)

It fixes the video bug and fixes the (even more annoying, for me) ratings screen bug, on the 60gig model. What’s not to like?

Posted by dickasso on March 30, 2006 at 5:51 AM (CST)

I don’t see why people are actually COMPLAINING about this. If you dont want to use it - dont, but just think about it - for kids its great - its a clever move and a solution to real problem.

Posted by Daveo on March 30, 2006 at 7:49 AM (CST)

thank you david. i was tired of reading all the other complainers, so i just scrolled down to the bottom.

Posted by matt on March 30, 2006 at 8:12 AM (CST)

Let me try one more time, if I can break through the idiot rants about the volume governor:

Does anyone have any details about the “other bug fixes” included in 1.1.1? Dickasso mentions a video bug—what is that, exactly? And does this update eliminate the on-screen menu jerkiness that happens when a song is in playback?

I don’t want to bother with this update if it’s not going to address the obvious bugs.

Posted by CT on March 30, 2006 at 11:55 AM (CST)

Are they kidding me? Except for a couple of songs, the volume is too low on my 4G ipod, and when I connect it to my stereo or play it through my car radio it will not let me raise the volume past 1/4 after that no matter how much I increase the volume there is no change. Is there any way to raise the limit?

Posted by john on March 30, 2006 at 1:34 PM (CST)

@Glorybox3737

Thank-you.  You appear to be the only one here who picked up on that point, which is EXACTLY what I was referring to.  You will notice that NOWHERE in my post did I say this volume level setting is a bad idea.  I do think this new setting is a good idea for those parents whose kids use iPods.  That’s what parents are supposed to do:  They protect their children, until the day comes when they become responsible for themselves.

And Werewolf, I’m not really picking on you.  I just have a problem when people tell other people to “shut up” in a discussion forum.  It’s a pet peave of mine.  Perhaps I did respond in too harsh of a way.  So, if you ever see this, no offence intended.

Posted by Stymyx on March 30, 2006 at 4:23 PM (CST)

Yeah, are there any other fixes?  I have a 60gb with the video bug.

Posted by ipodman on March 31, 2006 at 6:01 PM (CST)

No worries Stymyx. I got a little carried away with this. No big deal.

Y’know a pet peave of mine on message boards? When there are like 70 posts all pretty much repeating the same thing. lol

Posted by Werewolf on March 31, 2006 at 6:17 PM (CST)

first off, this is really amusing to read. i mean people are having their own miniature war over a firmware update for and ipod but, of course, that’s your own personal choice as is downloading and using this update.

also, i just downloaded it for the bug fixes because i wish no harm to come to my ipod… i don’t use the volume limit but it has made me more concious over how high i set the volume on my ipod but sometimes for those really good songs you just have to turn it up and let it out…

=D

Posted by amused on April 1, 2006 at 10:38 PM (CST)

Page 3 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >