Apple releases iPod Updater 2006-01-10 | iLounge News

Apple releases iPod Updater 2006-01-10

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, January 11, 2006
News Categories: iPod

Apple has released iPod Updater 2006-01-10, which includes iPod Software 1.1 for the 5G iPod, iPod Software 1.1 for the iPod nano, iPod Software 1.2.1 for iPods with color displays, iPod Software 1.4.1 for iPod minis, and iPod Software 3.1.1 for click wheel iPods. The new update brings support for the new iPod Radio Remote for the 5G iPod and nano, and bug fixes for the above mentioned iPod models.

« Griffin offers SmartShare audio splitter

Mix: AAPL, 32 million iPods, O’Reilly podcasts, Spod »

Comments

Could it be? Have they finally fixed the smart playlist bug?  *downloads*

Posted by Fenn on January 11, 2006 at 4:04 AM (PDT)

“Not Yet Rated smart playlist, contains all songs rated 0 stars.  Installed update, played first song on the list, 263 songs on list.  Gave one song a rating, selected another playlist, reselected “Not yet rated” playlist.  262 songs on list.  So first impressions would suggest, yes the colour 4G smart playlist bug is finally fixed!

Posted by Fenn on January 11, 2006 at 4:27 AM (PDT)

Great. on 5g now when you hold “menu” it takes you to the main screen. It doesnt turn off the backlight. WTF?!??!@? It didnt even fix the artists thing when you come out of an artist on the title bar it still shows the artist. The ONLY thing better is that it is decent scrolling, no lag. But I’d rather have the frikken backlight thing workin. GOD DAMMIT APPLE

Posted by fxspec06 on January 11, 2006 at 4:37 AM (PDT)

PLEASE HELP!!

Posted by Simon on January 11, 2006 at 5:10 AM (PDT)

Does this update support FireWire for the iPod G4 B/W and the iPod Mini G2?

And what improvements does this update offer, for the iPod G4 B/W and the iPod Mini G2, other than support for the iPod Radio Remote on the iPod Video/Nano?

Posted by Simon on January 11, 2006 at 5:10 AM (PDT)

Gopod 1.4 - does it work with it ? EU-Volume removal. Has anyone tried it with a 4g ipod monochrome ? Thanks !

Posted by Sergiusz on January 11, 2006 at 5:56 AM (PDT)

Solved a battery level indicator in iPod Video smile

Posted by Alexandre on January 11, 2006 at 6:15 AM (PDT)

They finally fixed the menu bugs on the video ipod! No more slow menus.

Posted by Ron on January 11, 2006 at 6:17 AM (PDT)

Smart playlists are definitely back and working on my 4G colour iPod which is great.

Posted by Phil Lee on January 11, 2006 at 6:18 AM (PDT)

anyone know if this update solves the smart playlist issue with the ipod mini’s?

Posted by Kevin on January 11, 2006 at 6:22 AM (PDT)

Saints be praised, they’ve finally done it. Smart playlists are living in harmony with podcasts on the 4G family. I recently upgraded to a 60GB photo after owning a 20GB B&W 4G for just under a year and never updated the photo’s software after learning my lesson when I lost smart playlists on the B&W. Now I have safely updated my photo and all is in working order. (so far at least…)
Another minor change that I haven’t heard anyone mention yet in the forums or otherwise, is the order of functions for the center button on the now playing screen. First press now takes you to the ‘scrubber’ rather than album art, a change I have been wishing for since I upgraded to the photo. Coming from a b&w pod, I was used to ‘one click and scrub’, and never really got used to ‘two clicks and scrub’. Minor complaint, I know, but I’m glad to see it changed.
Now pretty much the only thing I’d like to see is repeat/shuffle toggle on/off at the ‘now playing’ screen. It couldn’t be that hard to implement, even if they just add another center button press to bring up a shuffle/repeat on/off menu after the album art and ratings rather than the trawling up and back through menus. Basic function of an audio player made so complicated… aren’t Apple supposed to be all about simplicity and easy access?

Posted by saveferris91 in Melbourne, Australia on January 11, 2006 at 8:05 AM (PDT)

Someone at Apple SERIOUSLY effing BUNGLED UP!! Holding down the menu button doesn’t toggle the backllight AND—ever try hitting the centre button quickly through the NOW PLAYING menu?? You seeing STARS over and over?? YES!! The idiots managed to make it loop endlessly (at the Star Rating selection)!! There are MORE bloody bugs in this “Fix” then there are “Fixes”... what the hell -WERE- they trying to fix anyways???

Posted by theanimaster on January 11, 2006 at 8:22 AM (PDT)

I have two items I wish Apple would add to the iPod photo: Lyrics display and the other one I wish they would add across the board: transferring your custom equalizer presets to the iPod from iTunes.

Posted by Cube All on January 11, 2006 at 8:28 AM (PDT)

Anyone else having problems watching videos after updating?  All the movies i’ve converted freeze after about 20 seconds and then keep playing without any audio.

Posted by Ryan on January 11, 2006 at 8:36 AM (PDT)

theanimaster,

While the menu/backlight does indeed seem to be a bug, I don’t have a problem with any looping at the rating screen during “now playing”....everything loops through scrub/album art/ratings as it should.  I always apply my ipod patches using “restore” rather than “update”, and I do a reset of the ipod for good measure afterwards too….you might consider these if you still have that issue.

Overall, I’m happier with the improved scrolling and smart playlist fixes,, though I’d like to get that backlight toggle back, though I rarely use it.

Posted by taffinito on January 11, 2006 at 8:50 AM (PDT)

Guess it’s offical, 3Gs are no longer going to be supported at all.  This is like the 4th update without a change to the 3Gs.  Looks like I’ll really have to upgrade now.

Posted by mkoby on January 11, 2006 at 8:56 AM (PDT)

Hey Ryan,
I am experiencing the video issue too.  What converter did you use? There is a thread building over in the iPod general discussion forum about this:

Posted by Marshall on January 11, 2006 at 8:57 AM (PDT)

I like the menu thing. Its like having a home key, something that should of been there a long time ago. The light already comes on ,depending on your settings, every time u touch the wheel. I’d much rather have fast access to this!

Posted by bob on January 11, 2006 at 8:59 AM (PDT)

Did they fix the problem where the blue dot is removed from Podcasts without wating for you to reach the end of the podcast?  As it is now the blue dot is removed when you start playing the podcast.  Do you all agree that this is a bug?

Posted by John on January 11, 2006 at 9:04 AM (PDT)

They’ve also fixed the bug where playing an audiobook right after a movie would cause both audio tracks to play simultaneously.

Posted by J3 on January 11, 2006 at 9:30 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >