Apple releases iPod Updater 2006-01-10 | iLounge News

Apple releases iPod Updater 2006-01-10

Apple has released iPod Updater 2006-01-10, which includes iPod Software 1.1 for the 5G iPod, iPod Software 1.1 for the iPod nano, iPod Software 1.2.1 for iPods with color displays, iPod Software 1.4.1 for iPod minis, and iPod Software 3.1.1 for click wheel iPods. The new update brings support for the new iPod Radio Remote for the 5G iPod and nano, and bug fixes for the above mentioned iPod models.

« Griffin offers SmartShare audio splitter

Mix: AAPL, 32 million iPods, O’Reilly podcasts, Spod »

Comments

Also, put me on the list of people who likes holding the menu button to get back to the main menu immediately.

Posted by J3 on January 11, 2006 at 11:36 AM (CST)

Does anybody know if a FW update will ever be released so that the Nano can work with the camera connector?

It’s the main reason why I bought it and it’s been several months now

It’s only 4 gig I know but what’s the point of having photo capabilities on the thing if you can save/backup your digital camera??

Posted by The Mac Daddy on January 11, 2006 at 11:38 AM (CST)

The problem described by “Ryan” and “Marshall” is terrible. How did Apple not see that problem. It’s taken them nearly 7 months to fix smart playlists in the iPod mini, iPod photo and iPod with Click Wheel; this doesn’t make me feel very happy about this update.

Posted by Daveoc64 on January 11, 2006 at 11:55 AM (CST)

I also love the “holding down the menu button to get to the main menu” thing ... great feature ...

I too would love to be able to shuffle/repeat etc while the song is playing instead of having to go all the way back to the settings menu

Posted by Pam on January 11, 2006 at 12:25 PM (CST)

I also like that the FF works now in movies/videos ... it doesn’t lock up and take me back to the main menu anymore or lose audio.

Posted by Pam on January 11, 2006 at 12:28 PM (CST)

About FW for the 5G/Nano: It is not going to happen. These iPods do not have the chipset to support FireWire. There was an article on ArsTechnica discussing this and it seems they removed it to save some space.

Here is the link to the relevant page discussing the FW on the iPod: http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/video-ipod.ars/6

I am guessing this is the same thing that happened with the Nano, it seems reasonable.

Posted by El Compa on January 11, 2006 at 3:19 PM (CST)

Is this menu button issue strictly for the 5G’s or the 4G’s and mini as well? Also, when you update your software, do you need to “flash” your firmare using the AC adapter like when you reformat your iPod? Thanks!

Posted by Rene on January 11, 2006 at 5:22 PM (CST)

On the nano, the album art and lyrics screens now stay displayed until you dismiss them. It’s the one fix that I wanted and it’s done.

I kinda like the “hold menu to go back to the main menu” feature. It saves a ton of button pushes. My backlight is always set to go off after 5 seconds, so I never used that to turn off the backlight on my nano anyway.

Posted by Railrider on January 11, 2006 at 9:36 PM (CST)

El Compa, I think Mac Daddy was using FW to refer to ‘firmware’, not ‘firewire’.

Posted by Nathan on January 12, 2006 at 12:44 AM (CST)

Yes Nathan I was, thanks

Sorry for the confusion. Anyway trawled through the Forums and found a post about a Belkin item called “USB Anywhere” which according to Belkin works with the Mini, so this looks promising for a camera connector alternative for the Nano

I have to say that it amazes me that Apple having brought out the Nano 8/9 months ago still haven’t released a firmware that enables the Camera Connector to work with it or even someone not releasing a new camera connector specfically for the Nano. I’ve heard all the arguments about different onboard chipset etc..I DON’T CARE. Why release an iPod that displays photos if you can’t add photos to it from a digtal camera. The Nano’s screen is useless for viewing photos anyway BUT it is very useful as a backup tool.

Posted by The Mac Daddy on January 12, 2006 at 5:45 AM (CST)

I just updated the firmware on my mini (4G v1) and holding the menu button still toggles the backlight on and off, plus all my smart playlists work like they should.
I’m very pleased.

Posted by Kevin on January 12, 2006 at 10:14 AM (CST)

@“The Mac Daddy”:

Apple is deliberately not releasing the update for the nano because they don’t feel it’s a feature that the product should have.

It’s like how the iPod mini never had voice or photo transfer capabilities when the 3rd and 4th Generation iPods did. Apple publicly stated that the iPod mini would not get those features, it’s logical to assume that the successor to it will be in the same situation.

Apple is touting the iPod nano as a Music device primarily with the possibility of displaying photos.

Posted by Daveoc64 on January 12, 2006 at 1:37 PM (CST)

after the 1.1 update, my 5g freezes up! please help. i restart (menu + center) loads up to the main menu screen, then freezes up again. clicking sound works for the click wheel. but no scroll sound. nor scroll action, screen freezes, backlight remains on.

Posted by Frank on January 12, 2006 at 3:55 PM (CST)

Daveoc64

I see what you’re saying BUT can you not see what I am saying and also the logic behind what I am saying?

Comparing the photo issue of the mini (closer to the 1st gen iPod) to that of the 3/4g photo capable iPod with the nano/camera connector issue is tenuous at best.

If Apple had NEVER intended for the nano to have that capability then why did they include photos on it in the first place?? Doesn’t make sense to me. It’s a ridiculously small screen to browse photos at least as you would with the iPod Photo version. Come on, have you seen how an album sleeve looks as album art on a nano? It’s laughable! Makes you think WHY!. A 2gig or 4 gig nano coupled with its highly portable size is the perfect solution for digital camera backup IMHO.

Apple didn’t need to put the photo option on the nano..but they did. But whats worse is that they won’t let us use its to its fullest capacity.

It’s like giving someone a Ferrari..but not the keys to the garage

Posted by The Mac Daddy on January 12, 2006 at 7:32 PM (CST)

Does anyone know where to go to see an EXACT list for all the bug fixes Updater 2006-01-10 fixes? I have a 5G iPod and have updated just like to know what bugs were fixed and maybe what bugs still havn’t been fixed. (Would be nice and simple if apple would just list it themselfs with the updater)

Posted by pac_80 on January 19, 2006 at 4:43 PM (CST)

Well the update hasnt seemed to do any damage of any kind to my iPod Video….the only problem which has been covered twice on this forum is that holding down menu doesnt turn the backlight on but takes you to the Menu screen…im guessing none of these buttons turn the lights on?

Oh yeah….and if you guys really don’t like your new update why dont you go to your previous update…its on your start menu..or atleast mines is..

Posted by SaDlyHaPPy on January 23, 2006 at 3:28 PM (CST)

Since I installed the 2006-01-10 Updater, I’ve been experiencing a BIG problem when playing video.  After about 30 secs, the video when freeze and resume after about 7 sec without audio (sound).  I’ve tried resetting the iPod & restarting the video but neither seem to work.  Is this a common problem with the 2006-01-10 Updater?

Posted by Eric on February 3, 2006 at 10:11 AM (CST)

No, the menu button “fix” is the worst thing Apple could have done!!! I always have the backlight set to “off” rather than a timer, as this saves having the backlight on unneccesarily, but when I do need to use it, I used to be able to simply hold down menu, and it would come on, and once again to turn it off. This was the most battery efficient way to use the backlight. Now they’ve gone and screwed the whole system, I have to either set my backlight to a timer, meaning I waste a lot of battery, or chuck the “backlight” option onto the main menu, which means I waste a lot of time. Not happy Apple!!!

Posted by Nuke666 in Melbourne, Austalia on February 4, 2006 at 11:14 PM (CST)

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that if you have multiple tracks by one artist, but only one album name entered against one track, when browsing by artist this album entry is the only one displayed with no ‘all’ option at the top? Everything else seems to be fine, backlight and all…

Posted by SheffellaUk on May 26, 2006 at 10:00 PM (CDT)

I have an ipod mini 4G and wanted to know…DOES PODCAST WORK ON MINI IPOD LIKE THE TV CLIPS?? BECAUSE i SUBSCRIBED TO 1 AND IT DOESNT DOWNLOAD ON TO MY IPOD.

Posted by Katelyn on June 22, 2006 at 10:42 AM (CDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2