Apple releases iTunes 10.0.1, adds Ping to library | iLounge News

Apple releases iTunes 10.0.1, adds Ping to library

image

Apple has released iTunes 10.0.1, the latest update to its media purchasing, management, and synchronization software. According to Apple’s release notes, iTunes 10.0.1 adds the ability for users to Like or Post about music to the company’s Ping social network directly from the iTunes library, and a new Ping Sidebar. In addition, it fixes issues involving picture quality when on-screen controls are visible, crashes when interacting with album artwork in a separate window, performance of some third-party visualizers, empty iTunes library and playlists, and incompatibility issues with some third-party shared libraries. iTunes 10.0.1 is available now via Apple’s Software Update utility or as a direct download from apple.com/itunes/.

« Second-gen Apple TV now shipping

Still time to enter the RF3 Envi Earphone Giveaway »

Comments

What a shame it’s not available to run on OS 10.4…I’m completely locked out of Ping on my iTunes, so simply can’t use it on my Mac. Anyone reckon they’ll do a version which will run on my machine?

Posted by Robin on September 27, 2010 at 8:54 AM (PDT)

This is the first iTunes “upgrade” I wish I hadn’t installed. It removes the genius sidebar and adds the annoying/useless ping sidebar. There’s no way to get the useful (although much maligned) genius sidebar back, other than to re-install 10.0. I’m really hoping they’ll return the genius sidebar with the next update. Ping, IMHO, is the biggest (iPod related) Mac mistake to date.

Posted by urbanslaughter on September 27, 2010 at 9:15 AM (PDT)

I’m also sad to see the Genius sidebar go. One thing that I think is a bug, though, is that turning the visualizer on no longer seems to deactivate the screensaver, which is pretty annoying.

Posted by Skwid on September 27, 2010 at 9:49 AM (PDT)

I haven’t upgraded yet this is due to not being able to do the xml/hex edit to get my iphone to work on both my office computer and home computer.

As soon as this multiple library sync works I will then upgrade to v10.X.X does anyone know if a workaround has been created yet (without creating them in v9 and then installing v10)?

Posted by Bradley on September 27, 2010 at 3:55 PM (PDT)

Yeah! I like the genius sidebar more, though Ping is really unusable in my country (Philippines).

Guess I’ll go to oldapps.com and download back 10.0!

I hate this!

Posted by GM on September 28, 2010 at 3:17 AM (PDT)

I haven’t been able to upgrade to either version of 10.0 smile

It says that “iTunes was not properly installed.  If you want iTunes to be able to retrieve CD information from the Internet you need to reinstall iTunes.”
This happened with 10 and 10.1
I try to reinstall but it aborts the installation everytime without an understandable reason.  It downloads without a problem..then upon starting installation it just gets an exclamation point next to the apps and then I teg “errors occured whiel installing the updates.  If the problems persist, chose tools > download only.  Then neither install program runs if I click on them…
Stu

Posted by Stu Schwartz on September 28, 2010 at 10:07 AM (PDT)

Finally, Windows 7 UI support:

1. If pinned to the taskbar, iTunes no longer creates a second icon on the taskbar when running.

2. Now “snaps” when the program window is drug to a screen side.

And good riddance to the Genius sidebar, don’t know that Ping will necessarily any more time open on my computer, but it cannot be more useless than a sloppy, never fixed “buy this!” ad bar.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on September 30, 2010 at 3:22 AM (PDT)

Gone are the days when updates actually improved the functionality of your itunes virtual jukebox. Genius is cool because it improves my listening experience. Stuffing a social networking blah-blah into a music library with no option to refuse it is so daft it beggars belief. Speaking of no option to refuse, when I last updated itunes it automatically downloaded a video of an REM song. I attempted to delete, no simple way to do so. Fine. I deauthorize my iTunes, the only way to stop future invasive downloads. Oh Dear, says iTunes, if you deauthorize, you won’t be able to listen to any of the [17] tracks you purchased from the iTunes store, including [T.B. Blues]. What? So of the 16500 music files in my iTunes, the 17 I bought from their store are no longer going to play because I won’t accept unsolicited videos? What a farce.

Posted by AndoDoug on October 1, 2010 at 8:26 PM (PDT)