Apple releases iTunes 10 | iLounge News

Apple releases iTunes 10

By Jesse Hollington

Social Media & Software Editor, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, September 1, 2010
News Categories: Apple, iTunes

Apple today announced the release of iTunes 10, the latest version of its popular media management software. The new version boasts a more simple and elegant interface, with a new hybrid view that adds album artwork to text lists of song titles, and provides a more streamlined library. iTunes 10 also adds Ping, a new social network focused on music discovery, letting you easily find out what your friends and favorite bands are listening to. Ping provides a customized social chart showing what contacts are highlighting as favorites, plus linked messages in a Twitter-like online stream. The Ping network provides privacy controls that allow users to control who follows them, post thoughts and opinions, view custom song and album charts, and over 17,000 concert listings. iTunes 10 is being released today as a free download from http://www.itunes.com.

« Apple unveils Ping social music network

Apple intros FaceTime-capable iPod touch 4G »

Comments

Good lord….I still haven’t seen a correctly working version 9 and now we’re on to version 10. PLEASE have all the bugs worked out on this one. I would like to be able to sync my iPod Classic with iTunes again. Hasn’t worked right since latest version 8 revision.

Posted by Eric on September 1, 2010 at 11:11 AM (PDT)

Speaking of iPod Classic, do we know if Apple plans on phasing them out?

Posted by Matthew Bowman on September 1, 2010 at 11:40 AM (PDT)

Saw on another site that the classic is alive and well.  Apple’s site also shows it in the line-up and in their comparison chart.

Posted by Joel on September 1, 2010 at 12:01 PM (PDT)

It seems as though Apple has been planning on phasing them out for the past couple of years, but this is the first year that the iPod classic hasn’t received any kind of update or even a mention at the Apple event.  It’s still on sale at the Apple Store, for now at least, so it seems that Apple plans to continue making and selling them for music enthusiasts with large libraries, but this may be the surest sign yet that it’s days are numbered.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on September 1, 2010 at 12:06 PM (PDT)

Do we know when iTunes 10 will be available to download? After just going through the process, I get version 9.2.1.5.

Posted by Dominic Walshe on September 1, 2010 at 12:32 PM (PDT)

@Dominic: Since the last time I tried to grab it, Apple’s updated the download page with a badge saying “iTunes 10. Coming Soon.  Download iTunes 9 now.”

Not a great sign.

Posted by Dave on September 1, 2010 at 12:44 PM (PDT)

Looks like no iTunes 10 download as I write this. On the download page at apple.com it says, “iTunes 10. Coming soon.”

Posted by orgel in Falls Church, VA on September 1, 2010 at 12:44 PM (PDT)

Exactly, Dominic. It would be nice if when a company announces a new upgrade to a program is available, that they remember TO MAKE IT AVAILABLE. It would also be nice if, as some people have said on here, they had merged the iBookstore with the iTunes Store. All the other features are MEANINGLESS.

Posted by Jack Stockman on September 1, 2010 at 12:46 PM (PDT)

I suppose it’s asking too much for Apple to try to reduce the footprint and resources required for iTunes so it might run well in Windows, especially on a Netbook. But I’m going to ask anyways. Please, Apple? Pretty please?

Posted by Dave G on September 1, 2010 at 1:06 PM (PDT)

Did they finally fix the bug where double-clicking an album cover in Grid View brings up an empty list (that has no option for displaying song names)?

And is there an option to completely hide/bury/not-touch-with-a-10-ft-pole Ping? I don’t want the world invited into my iTunes library, thank you.

Posted by Farnsworth on September 1, 2010 at 1:15 PM (PDT)

Well, they finally did it.  iTunes 10 does not work with OS 10.4.11.  Tiger is no longer on the prowl.  Guess it’s time to buy a new Macbook.

Posted by Raj on September 1, 2010 at 7:40 PM (PDT)

The new iTunes 10 does not allow song titles?  Why would I want that?  Well, it looks as if my Classic is the last of the click wheels.  The new Shuffle looks like a click wheel but is a click button.  Other publications have said the new Nano is like a graphic version of the Shuffle…small but with the Touch’s controls.  Apple is holding onto the Classic as it still sells well…people who only want a music player/video player like them.  If you want games, pedometer, EMail, etc., then you’ll want Nano or Touch.

Posted by lasvegascolonel on September 1, 2010 at 7:44 PM (PDT)

I still use the 8.2.1 since it still works with the ‘Click’ and iTouch. Until Apple can get their act together and support the ‘iPod Classic 2nd Gen.’ I will refuse to upgrade.

Posted by Dickens on September 6, 2010 at 6:33 PM (PDT)

JUST SPENT ALL day try to figure out my music on I-TUNES 10. it does not work at all, I go and delete songs it goes and retrieves them again. Is there something that I’M missing

Posted by K9ZPLAYN on September 6, 2010 at 8:54 PM (PDT)