Apple releases iTunes 4.8 with video support [updated] | iLounge News

Apple releases iTunes 4.8 with video support [updated]

Apple has quietly released iTunes 4.8 for both Mac OS X and Windows. According to the brief release notes, version 4.8 includes “new Music Store features and support for transferring contacts and calendars from your computer to your iPod (requires Mac OS X version 10.4 on your computer).”

This update will presumably bring support for at least some of the previously mentioned new international iTunes Music Stores, including Australia, Switzerland, Sweden, Norwary, and Denmark. In fact, French iPod enthusiast site iPodGeneration is reporting that Apple will be holding a press conference tomorrow at Zurich to introduce the service in Switzerland.

iTunes 4.8 also adds new video features, including the ability to drag and drop movie clips from your computer into the iTunes Library for easy cataloging and organization. Clips appear with a new movie camera icon in your library; however, categories such as “album” and “composer” continue to be used for these files, and no new “videos” or “movies” genre has been added to accommodate them.

There is also a new “show video full screen” button that lets you easily watch full-screen movies that have been organized in your iTunes Library, as well as options to view movies in a separate smaller window, or within the main iTunes pane. When you “get info” on videos, they appear with a preview picture that can be resized to your liking. The video functionality does not appear to allow users to transfer videos to currently available iPods.

As stated in the release notes, users of Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger can now manage their contacts and calendar information right in iTunes instead of using iSync. Windows users will still need the help of a third-party utility to transfer contacts and calendars to their iPod. (See screenshots of the new video and contact/calendar features by clicking read more.)

Update: iTunes 4.8 also patches a security hole in the software. “The MPEG4 file parsing code in iTunes versions prior to 4.8 contains a buffer overflow vulnerability. Parsing a maliciously-crafted MPEG4 file could cause iTunes to terminate or potentially execute arbitrary code,” Apple says. “iTunes 4.8 addresses this issue by improving the validation checks used when loading MPEG4 files.”

Update #2: Several iLoungers report that Apple has made a select number of music videos available for download as bonuses to single or album purchases at the iTunes Music Store. For instance, those who buy Morcheeba’s The Antidote will get the video for the band’s “Wonders Never Cease” for free with the album. There does not currently appear to be any videos available for individual purchase.

image

image

image

« iLounge Bloggers’ Contest: Winners Announced

Forums: Photos, Stickers, shuffles, Soundcheck, and More »

Comments

I don’t see anything new in the Windows version.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on May 9, 2005 at 10:54 AM (PDT)

Note the version number of the iPod in that window.

Posted by Daveoc64 in UK on May 9, 2005 at 11:26 AM (PDT)

ummmmm…..... whens this videoIpod coming then apple now we testing your new movie itunes. Ill give them till end of june…..

Posted by GAZ0 on May 9, 2005 at 11:37 AM (PDT)

it appears to only work with .mov files in windows.

Posted by iBang on May 9, 2005 at 11:48 AM (PDT)

Under the help menu at the top of itunes the choice third from the bottom is check for iTunes updates.  It says that 4.7.1 is the current version.  Should this work and pull up 4.8? Do I need to download the whole new version?

Windows XP Pro SP2

Posted by horizontalintegration in East Coast on May 9, 2005 at 12:49 PM (PDT)

And *still* no update on the inability to transfer photos to the ipod photo between different computers?  Does anyone have a hack that could accomplish this?

Posted by tetherah on May 9, 2005 at 1:20 PM (PDT)

Hmm, I thought this would come with the new QuickTime 7…

Posted by ipodman715 on May 9, 2005 at 1:57 PM (PDT)

iTunes designers, take note…here’s what I want in iTunes that is missing.  When I plug in my Shuffle the first time, it creates a “Shuffle Playlist” that stays in the source list whether or not the Shuffle is connected.

Why not have this for ALL iPods?  I want to be able to, at whim, download a new song, or move songs off/on my Mini, and then next time I dock it, they will sync up.  Compare this to now, where everytime I want to modify what’s on the Mini, I have to have it docked.  Not a huge deal, but it would make life easier for guys like me who leave their iPod in their car most of the time.  Should be easy to do, and would make me happy.

Posted by ChrisTSX on May 9, 2005 at 1:58 PM (PDT)

umm you can do that now.  make a playlist.  Set your ipod preferences to “automatically update selected playlists” and select your new playlist.  you now have EXACTLY what you are describing.

Posted by Crumbete on May 9, 2005 at 2:03 PM (PDT)

I’m really disappointed that they didn’t add syncing to the Windows versions. When I first heard, I was really excited about that.

Posted by Sujay on May 9, 2005 at 3:12 PM (PDT)

It does seem pointless doing it for the Mac. Tiger adds better syncing anyway and iSync is good enough on other versions of OS X.

Posted by Daveoc64 in UK on May 9, 2005 at 3:18 PM (PDT)

do you have to have tiger to use the video stuff
cuz i have panther and i cant get it to import the video it is a .mpg

Posted by BIGP in Texas on May 9, 2005 at 3:22 PM (PDT)

I’ve done some experimenting with the new video feature and the only formats I can get iTunes to import are .mpg and .mov, and it only imports the audio from the .mpg.  If you have a .avi movie, you can just save it in Quicktime as a .mov (I think you need Quicktime Pro to do that).  You can do the same with .mpg, but if the audio and video are multiplexed together you lose the audio in the process.  I hope Apple adds native support for more formats in the next update of iTunes.

For reference, I’m using Panther and Quicktime 6 Pro.

Posted by Derek Carter on May 9, 2005 at 4:17 PM (PDT)

Another interesting change, the color of the background bars is now either graphite or blue depending on your appearance settings (mac)

maybe this isnt a new feature but i’ve never noticed it

Posted by mrwright in california on May 9, 2005 at 4:18 PM (PDT)

Well now it seems fairly certain the next type of iPod will have video capabilities. Next time they mix it up they’ll drop the beloved 20gb, make the 30gb $300, the 60gb $400 and then perhaps a 60gb video iPod for $450. we’ll see.

Posted by jmaurand on May 9, 2005 at 4:41 PM (PDT)

Yeah I just downloaded 4.8 and put a video in it. Very cool, a little video in the album art box. Press a new button on the bottom to make it full screen or click the album art box and it plays in a box the size that the video was made in. Too bad it doesn’t play over AirTunes, maybe it does in Tiger. Someone let me know. When I plugged in my iPod it said “iTunes could not copy a song onto iPod because this iPod cannot play this song,” so iTunes is already set up to transfer the videos to your brand new iPod video. I’ll be jealous, but I’ll wait until the iPod video replaces the $300 spot.

Posted by jmaurand on May 9, 2005 at 5:09 PM (PDT)

“you now have EXACTLY what you are describing.”

Crumbete,

Not EXACTLY. There’s one small (yet important) difference. One thing that I want is the ability to remove songs from my iPod by playlist. Often I’ll have many playlists on my iPod, each with various artists and albums. If I connect the iPod and want to delete just a certain playlist, I have to select the iPod in the source list, (selecting the playlist only deletes the songs off the playlist-not off the iPod), and delete the songs I know are in that playlist, then go back and forth, etc. What I need is a way to sort the iPod by playlist and delete songs BY playlist (even if they appear on multiple playlists).

I suppose adding a ‘sort by playlist’ option when the iPod is connected so you can view the entire contents of the ‘Pod by playlist would do the trick, but having that feature embedded into an ‘auto-sync’ playlist would be even better.

Posted by pewtey in columbus, oh on May 9, 2005 at 6:04 PM (PDT)

seems like absolutely nothing of substance especially for windows users.

When are they going to fix the bug where if you change a tag and copy that mp3 onto your ipod it creates a duplicate file instead of updated the tag.

When are they gonna provide maybe a button so itunes rescans all your monitered folders automatically updating tag info and the songs that are in the library. That is, removing songs with exclamation points and whatnot.

Posted by galacticox4 on May 9, 2005 at 8:00 PM (PDT)

I would definitely appreciate the features mentioned by galacticox.  I’m pretty anal about my music being cleanly and properly organized, so I hate the thought of there being files on my HDD that aren’t in my library and vice-versa.

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on May 9, 2005 at 9:13 PM (PDT)

Windows XP Pro SP2

By horizontalintegration on 05.09.05 at 11:49 AM

I downloaded the new version from Apple, I supose the check for update is poorly coded.

Posted by horizontalintegration in East Coast on May 9, 2005 at 9:13 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last »