Apple releases iTunes 4.8 with video support [updated] | iLounge News

Apple releases iTunes 4.8 with video support [updated]

Apple has quietly released iTunes 4.8 for both Mac OS X and Windows. According to the brief release notes, version 4.8 includes “new Music Store features and support for transferring contacts and calendars from your computer to your iPod (requires Mac OS X version 10.4 on your computer).”

This update will presumably bring support for at least some of the previously mentioned new international iTunes Music Stores, including Australia, Switzerland, Sweden, Norwary, and Denmark. In fact, French iPod enthusiast site iPodGeneration is reporting that Apple will be holding a press conference tomorrow at Zurich to introduce the service in Switzerland.

iTunes 4.8 also adds new video features, including the ability to drag and drop movie clips from your computer into the iTunes Library for easy cataloging and organization. Clips appear with a new movie camera icon in your library; however, categories such as “album” and “composer” continue to be used for these files, and no new “videos” or “movies” genre has been added to accommodate them.

There is also a new “show video full screen” button that lets you easily watch full-screen movies that have been organized in your iTunes Library, as well as options to view movies in a separate smaller window, or within the main iTunes pane. When you “get info” on videos, they appear with a preview picture that can be resized to your liking. The video functionality does not appear to allow users to transfer videos to currently available iPods.

As stated in the release notes, users of Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger can now manage their contacts and calendar information right in iTunes instead of using iSync. Windows users will still need the help of a third-party utility to transfer contacts and calendars to their iPod. (See screenshots of the new video and contact/calendar features by clicking read more.)

Update: iTunes 4.8 also patches a security hole in the software. “The MPEG4 file parsing code in iTunes versions prior to 4.8 contains a buffer overflow vulnerability. Parsing a maliciously-crafted MPEG4 file could cause iTunes to terminate or potentially execute arbitrary code,” Apple says. “iTunes 4.8 addresses this issue by improving the validation checks used when loading MPEG4 files.”

Update #2: Several iLoungers report that Apple has made a select number of music videos available for download as bonuses to single or album purchases at the iTunes Music Store. For instance, those who buy Morcheeba’s The Antidote will get the video for the band’s “Wonders Never Cease” for free with the album. There does not currently appear to be any videos available for individual purchase.

image

image

image

« iLounge Bloggers’ Contest: Winners Announced

Forums: Photos, Stickers, shuffles, Soundcheck, and More »

Comments

Pewtey,

I don’t understand what you’re talking about.

You say: “If I connect the iPod and want to delete just a certain playlist” and you then describe some list of steps…this can be done with a single button press or a single click/delete in iTunes which seems to me simple and straightforward.

The recommendation is to use “sync to selected playlists”; these iTunes playlists can be manual or dynamic. You can alter the playlists as much as you want, and when the iPod is plugged it it gets auto-synced.

The only songs that are synced to the iPod are those songs that are in at least one of the synced-playlists…if a song is no longer referred to by at least one playlist, it will be removed automatically.

If you don’t want a certain playlist, then you remove that playlist from list of playlists to be synced against in the iPod prefs…you can keep the playlist in iTunes if you want and reattach it later. Alternatively, simply selecting and deleting the playlist will remove it from the sync list of the iPod.

I never “select the iPod in the source list” and delete playlists from it…there’s no need to do that if you make your playlists in iTunes.

Why don’t you try this setting in iTunes and sync down a few playlists, then alter the playlists and resync, and see what happens.

Posted by Tom Affinito on May 10, 2005 at 12:15 AM (CDT)

there is also now support for digital booklets, which I can only assume are the inserts in CDs with lyrics, pictures, etc. It’s being offered as part of some Dave Matthews Band album on iTunes which also include a music video. It seems you pay for this stuff, though, because the album is $11.98. Also there was a single which included the music video for $1.98. However, iTunes is finally offering something more than what you would get with a CD.

Posted by jmaurand on May 10, 2005 at 1:49 AM (CDT)

I’m with the guy who asked for all iPods to be treated the same as the shuffle. I don’t care that there are other ways (i.e. playlists) of simulating this, all those ways apply to the shuffle too and yet it still merits a “keep in source” checkbox. Make it so, Apple.

Posted by Magic Rabbits in Aberdeen, Scotland on May 10, 2005 at 9:59 AM (CDT)

Exactly.  Why should there be complicated ways of doing it, when they did it right with the Shuffle?  They got it right for one, now just apply it to all.

Posted by ChrisTSX on May 10, 2005 at 10:17 AM (CDT)

Just saw this on the homepage of the Shuffle…“iTunes 4.8 lets you find and delete duplicate songs, search iMixes by title and more.”

Anyone see how the duplicate search works?

Posted by Quilgy in Australia on May 10, 2005 at 10:30 AM (CDT)

For the “keep in source” for all iPods folks—-

let’s do this slowly:
1) the iPS only syncs against 1 playlist
2) that playlist is created by your combination of manually-moved files and autofill from another playlist
3) the keep in source option means you can tinker with that list when the iPs is not attached…this is good!

now:
1) a regular iP can be set to “sync against selected playlists” with one preference settings
2) those playlists can be created manually or based on dynamic “smart” criteria
3) those playlists are already kept in iTunes and are modifiable even when the iP is not attached

So, “keep in source” is a single playlist version of “sync against selected playlists”.  While adding more autofill options would be nice for regular iP users (this is where the shuffle has unique iTunes UI), the “keep in source” option is one we do not need and does not make sense…we already have it and more!

Posted by Tom Affinito on May 10, 2005 at 11:08 AM (CDT)

Couple of things…

First, Quilgy—go to Edit, then select Show Duplicate Songs.  Depending on the playlist you are in, it will show you all songs with Duplicate Song names.  This is not to say exact copies—if you have two version of one song, say one live and one in the studio, they will both appear.

As for “keep in source” the one issue, while I see the whole point about already being able to have your mini or iPod automatically sync certain playlists, the thing is, you cannot change those setting unless your iPOd is connected.  I would like to be able to see my iPod’s setting when it’s not attached, regardless of anything else.

Posted by Gatsby003 in New York on May 10, 2005 at 11:28 AM (CDT)

The new iTunes 523 times better!!!

Posted by Frederik in Denmark on May 10, 2005 at 11:30 AM (CDT)

jmaurand,
I just checked out that Dave Matthews Band album… very very nice new feature.  Lets hope they start making that a standard wherever they can.  If that’s the case I’ll definitely start buying ‘most’ of my albums thru the store.

Posted by LilAlienD in Maryland on May 10, 2005 at 11:54 AM (CDT)

P.S.
If you buy the Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc single you know get for ‘video shorts’ with it… for .99¢

Posted by LilAlienD in Maryland on May 10, 2005 at 12:00 PM (CDT)

Tom Affinito,

What you suggest would work fairly well, and it’s probably why Apple will never support the feature I explained. The problem for me however, is that I also use my iPod as a hard disk, and (at least as far as I can tell) auto-synching the iPod removes it from the desktop, unless of course you go and choose “manual updating” which I’d rather not have to do every time I connect my iPod. Also, I have playlists on my iPod that do not exist on my computer, as often I’ll create new iPod playlists when my iPod is connected from songs already on my iPod.

I suppose it’s a relatively small issue and auto-syncing is probably my best bet; i just prefer to update my iPod manually rather than automatically.

Posted by pewtey in columbus, oh on May 10, 2005 at 12:10 PM (CDT)

Pewty,

1) Auto-syncing of selected playlists is completely independent of disk mounting. I always have my iPod mount and manually dismount it when I’m done, I use it like a hardrive too.

2) Don’t create named playlists on the iPod! Do it in iTunes. These playlists can be backed up and shared across multiple iPods (we have 5 iPods in our house!)

Now, of course you can use the great iPod on-the-go playlist feature to make playlists when you’re away from the computer…but when you resync, these playlists will be automatically removed from the iPod and copied to the main iTunes library, where they can deleted or renamed and added to the sync-list is desired.

3) Many folks have given-up on auto-sync and moved to manual because they believe they can get more control that away…but there’s only one use case where I think this is true, and that is someone having multiple iTunes libraries that they need to deal with. This case should be rare.

Now full auto-sync is also a nightmare because there is no control. But auto-sync of selected playlists is extremely powerful, and takes care of metadata transfers (such as ratings) from the iPod back to the library that you lose with manual (I often rate songs on the iPod as I listen to them…this rating effects various playlists when I resync).

Despite many iPod loungers’ discussions and predilection for manual mode, outside of the use case I mentioned, I believe manual mode to be less-feature-rich and harder to manage than what I’ve described, which is why Apple added this capability.

Try it out and see how it works for you!

Posted by Tom Affinito on May 10, 2005 at 2:49 PM (CDT)

answer me this. I updated the tags on half of my mp3s with tag n rename (about 10 gbs). so now i have 10gbs of mp3 with old tags on my ipod and the exact same songs with new tags on my hard drive. if i hit auto sync will it try to copy 10gbs of duplicate songs to my ipod (assuming there is 10gbs of free space on my ipod). That is rather than updating the tags on the ipod.

Posted by galacticox4 on May 10, 2005 at 5:31 PM (CDT)

jmaurand: the digital booklets are not a new feature. They did that with “The Complete U2”.  Also, the ability to find duplicate songs is not a new feature.  It’s been around since at least 4.7.  On a side note, just in case no one has noticed before, the Apple Store *does* sell songs in higher bitrates than 128kbps.  ATB’s “The DJ in the Mix” album is available as 289kbps files encoded using FAAC 1.24+.  Odd.

Posted by Oscar.F on May 10, 2005 at 6:58 PM (CDT)

The music story isnt working for me!

It worked fine before I upgraded this morning.

Whats wrong?!?!?!

Posted by dbconfessional on May 10, 2005 at 7:31 PM (CDT)

i just figured this out. if you open a mpeg in quicktime and save as a normal file(with dependency) drag it to iTunes you can still play the file in Itunes

Posted by Dbster in Georgia on May 10, 2005 at 7:40 PM (CDT)

galacticox4,

I don’t know if your question was addressing the conversation I was having with pewtey….but if it was…

With selected auto-sync, the copy of a song in iTunes is the master. If you update those tags, they will make it onto the iPod during the next sync. Whether the algorithm is to just update the tags on the iPod or to delete and recopy the master is up to Apple’s implementation choice.

If you are constantly changing tags for gigs of songs on a DAILY basis, then auto-sync might not be for you….but that would be a strange behaviour IMO, and you’d have to like living with iPod being out of sync with iTunes, whcih is wacky.  If you are fixing tags primarily when you import/rip, and then occasionally make changes, all goes perfectly (ie, what’s the time cost of a 10gig update every 6 months given a Firewire/USB connection?).

I reorganized all my Jazz music a few months back into a new set of related genres…probably 5000 songs or so. It took me time over the course of a week…and I resynced every night.  The ~15 minute nightly update presented no pain to me. (I do have to eat, sleep, shower.  :-)  )

Of course, fixing those tags and managing that master library gives me consistency on all my iPods, on airtunes streaming, and I sleep soundly knowing that any iPod can get lost/stolen/broken and I can get a new one that can be restored to look like any of my iPods in no time.

Also, whenever a new iPod OS patch comes out, I always fully restore, never update, my iPods…Apple’s updates have caused problems for some, and I never mind wiping the thing clean because I know I can restore it with a few click on its prefs. Nothing beats the occasion clean wipe for defragmentation reduction either.

Plus all the data being in iTunes, on a removable hardrive, gives me a single source for backups to preserve all the time I’ve invested in ripping, rating and organizing.  This is the benefit of the iPod being a slave device synced to a master.

Posted by Tom Affinito on May 10, 2005 at 8:43 PM (CDT)

OK, I read all the posts and I think I am the only geek who is bothered by this:  I listen to audiobooks that are transferred from CDs.  When I transfer them, they go into regular “music” genre (not audiobooks) despite being listed as “books and spoken”.  The only way to get them into audiobooks is changing EACH and EVERY file name.  It is not only nice to seperate these, but I enjoy the bookmarking feature.  Am I the only one with this issue?

Posted by crpedm1 on May 10, 2005 at 10:04 PM (CDT)

I wish I’d found this before, but now that you can organize and watch music videos in iTunes I’m glad I found it. It’s only for Macs, but you can use the terminal to find the address of the free music videos in iTMS so you can download them. It works fairly well, and I’ve downloaded a few. It’s kind of a pain though, but better than trying to find music videos P2P, and you’re assured good quality.

Posted by jmaurand on May 10, 2005 at 10:09 PM (CDT)

crpedm1,

Yes, you do have to change the extension to make them bookmarkable, but there are batch/scripting tools to do this easily.

Also, if you do use the bookmarking feature, consider ripping the CDs into 1 track instead of several using the Join Tracks feature…that way there is only 1 file to alter, and with bookmarks saving your position and the convenient scrubbing feature on regular iPods, there is ample control over the playing position in the single file.

Posted by Tom Affinito on May 11, 2005 at 12:44 AM (CDT)

Page 2 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >