Apple releases iTunes 4.8 with video support [updated] | iLounge News

Apple releases iTunes 4.8 with video support [updated]

Apple has quietly released iTunes 4.8 for both Mac OS X and Windows. According to the brief release notes, version 4.8 includes “new Music Store features and support for transferring contacts and calendars from your computer to your iPod (requires Mac OS X version 10.4 on your computer).”

This update will presumably bring support for at least some of the previously mentioned new international iTunes Music Stores, including Australia, Switzerland, Sweden, Norwary, and Denmark. In fact, French iPod enthusiast site iPodGeneration is reporting that Apple will be holding a press conference tomorrow at Zurich to introduce the service in Switzerland.

iTunes 4.8 also adds new video features, including the ability to drag and drop movie clips from your computer into the iTunes Library for easy cataloging and organization. Clips appear with a new movie camera icon in your library; however, categories such as “album” and “composer” continue to be used for these files, and no new “videos” or “movies” genre has been added to accommodate them.

There is also a new “show video full screen” button that lets you easily watch full-screen movies that have been organized in your iTunes Library, as well as options to view movies in a separate smaller window, or within the main iTunes pane. When you “get info” on videos, they appear with a preview picture that can be resized to your liking. The video functionality does not appear to allow users to transfer videos to currently available iPods.

As stated in the release notes, users of Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger can now manage their contacts and calendar information right in iTunes instead of using iSync. Windows users will still need the help of a third-party utility to transfer contacts and calendars to their iPod. (See screenshots of the new video and contact/calendar features by clicking read more.)

Update: iTunes 4.8 also patches a security hole in the software. “The MPEG4 file parsing code in iTunes versions prior to 4.8 contains a buffer overflow vulnerability. Parsing a maliciously-crafted MPEG4 file could cause iTunes to terminate or potentially execute arbitrary code,” Apple says. “iTunes 4.8 addresses this issue by improving the validation checks used when loading MPEG4 files.”

Update #2: Several iLoungers report that Apple has made a select number of music videos available for download as bonuses to single or album purchases at the iTunes Music Store. For instance, those who buy Morcheeba’s The Antidote will get the video for the band’s “Wonders Never Cease” for free with the album. There does not currently appear to be any videos available for individual purchase.

image

image

image

« iLounge Bloggers’ Contest: Winners Announced

Forums: Photos, Stickers, shuffles, Soundcheck, and More »

Comments

Thanks for making my synching simple! No more iSync for me smile

Posted by Nagromme on May 10, 2005 at 10:10 PM (PDT)

Tom, thanks for the good info!

Posted by crpedm1 on May 11, 2005 at 6:56 PM (PDT)

Heh, my iPod preferences pane shows version number 1.5!  Still going strong, too!

Posted by skwyd in Modesto, CA on May 11, 2005 at 8:45 PM (PDT)

There has been a long standing bug in the way Smart playlists work.  This bug is that a smart playlist that is built using another playlist does not automatically refresh itself on the Ipod.  You have to sync to Itunes to get it to refresh.

For example, if you have all your favorite tunes in a playlist called “Favorites” then you can build a smart playlist to contain the songs from your favorite playlist that have not been recently played by the following method:

Playlist is Favorites
not played in the last 5 days
limit to 200 songs
selected by least recently played

The problem is, as I said earlier, this type of playlist will not automatically drop songs off the list when you play them on the Ipod.

So when 4.8 came out, I did some testing.  Now the bug appears to be fixed, but only on the 4th gen Click wheel Ipods.  It still remains on the 3rd gen Ipod.

Why does Apple go to the trouble to fix a bug and not apply it to all Ipods?

Posted by Fred H. on May 12, 2005 at 5:47 AM (PDT)

Something else new…when I sync my U2 Special Edition iPod in iTunes 4.8, it appears as the U2 Special Edition.  In other words, the little syncing iPod is red and black.  Pretty sneaky sis.

Christian

Posted by realworldworship on May 12, 2005 at 12:50 PM (PDT)

If you use iPodder, you’ll have to uninstall it, then reinstall their new v.2.0.3 to keep it working with iTunes 4.8.

Posted by LarsThorwald on May 13, 2005 at 5:24 PM (PDT)

Tom Affinito

Yes i believe i was attempting to ask a question related to your conversation with pewty.

I use windows. and it’s not that i move alot of files it’s that i move some when i notice they are in the wrong place. I’ve got mp3s on my ipod. My mp3 on my computer are arranged i folders by by genre, then an “Artist - Album” folder. Each genre has a singles folder for individual songs not ripped as part of an album. I use other software like winamp to play music. Now often i come across a song or batch of songs with one thing wrong in the tag. Like i noticed a bunch of jazz songs were tagged “Hip-hop” i batch convert them with tag n rename properly to “jazz”. Or i come across a single and repair say a bad track number or something. There are Hundreds of files in each singles folder. It’s not that i move files alot. But i’m up to nearly a hundred gigs of music. The ones i rip myself are fine usually. But individual files often have errors or missing info. Like a missing album name. if i change it i acually have to go open itunes. click add… then navigate to that file and add anything i’ve changed. What a pain. How about a button in itunes that rescans in the background automatically when i click it?

So when i go back to itunes now i have different tags on my hard drive than the same file that is on my ipod. If i drag that newly tagged song (in itunes) back to my ipod. Itunes thinks i want doesn’t know they are the same song and makes a duplicate. then i have to navigate into my ipod directory and manually delete the duplicate. Worse if i batch add files or copy a playlist with tons fixed files. then it adds a ton of newly tagged duplicates. What a pain in the ### to go delete them if you can even keep track of them.

Why can’t ipod scan my folders in the background for updated songs or tags? Why the hell can’t it tell it’s not a new song? The file name and size is the same. It’s just got a different tag. Was hoping 4.8 would fix this but it doesn’t I guess. no need for me to update so far.

Posted by galacticox4 on May 14, 2005 at 3:42 PM (PDT)

galacticox,

You have a really confusing problem but I think I understand. I’m also big on keeping my files organized and before I started using iTunes, I used to weed through my MP3 files like crazy, making sure the naming conventions are consistent and that files are all organized in their proper folders, etc.

But one of the things I love about iTunes is its ability to consolidate all my files into one directory AND, keep them all organized into appropriate artist folders and album name subfolders. And when I rip tracks from CDs, I can have it create filenames with the track numbers too. The only thing I hate is that when you change the artist name or album name, it creates a whole new directory but it doesn’t delete the old one. I discovered though that this only happens on Windows, iTunes has a better grip at changing file directories on OS X than it does on Windows. No big surprise there.

So my point is, if you were to organize your music through iTunes and let the application take care of organizing the files in the background, iTunes would not have a problem with changes or not being able to refer to the source files and comes in really handy when you’ve got almost a hundred gigs worth of music.

As for your problem with transferring files to the iPod, you really wouldn’t have that problem if you auto-synch your iPod to iTunes. In doing so, your iPod will ALWAYS be consistent with iTunes and any changes you make with the tags on iTunes will be replicated on your iPod without duplicating any files. It totally beats manually dragging files to the iPod and having to manually delete old ones.

Posted by puppyKicker in Las Vegas on May 14, 2005 at 5:43 PM (PDT)

it is quite possible that i am retarded, but i am having trouble figuring out how to import movie to itunes. i have tried .mov and .mpg, but it wont work. can some one help me!

Posted by podskater on May 14, 2005 at 8:20 PM (PDT)

Hey folks, kinda weird thing happened when I downloaded iTunes 4.8.  It somehow downloaded a playlist called “Big Mikes Music”.  When I click on it, it tells me my firewall is preventing the download of the music.  Any idea how this was downloaded, and how I can get rid of it??

Any help would be appreciated!!

Chad

Posted by Chadbasin on May 20, 2005 at 6:58 PM (PDT)

Chadbasin,

the playlist that showed up is most likey a shared music playlist, so therefore it’s not actually on your computer, if you don’t want it to show up then turn off your music sharing within your preferances.  That should fix your problem.  Hope that helps smile

Posted by MATRIXsjd in Burbank, Ca on May 20, 2005 at 7:16 PM (PDT)

Someone watches Aqua Teen (Ol Drippy)

Posted by dannycohen62 on May 22, 2005 at 7:34 AM (PDT)

Here’s what I want from itunes software:

I own around 3000 cds, and I haven’t the capacity nor desire to burn them all.  I would like records of everything i own.  I have found a couple of 3rd party solutions for that, but I’m waiting to see if Apple does this.  Essentially I need an option to have a separate library that lists everything i own, then another library for the music that is on my computer/hard drive and ipod.  This “database” would be the best way to be able to access my collection using any of the parameters. It would be even better if that database library were on my ipod.  Once you own as many cd’s as I do, the possibility of buying a recording of something you already have is real. If I have my ipod with me at record stores (or searching Tower online), I can quickly determine if I already have it.  Any ideas?

Posted by mjcamero on May 24, 2005 at 9:35 AM (PDT)

I found another “fix” or at least a new flexibility when manually adding songs to your library.  If you create a new playlist and drag a folder of music onto that new playlist icon the songs will appear in the playlist pane, but *not* in the library, that is, until you drag the playlist itself onto the library.  Before, doing the above would, for whatever reason, create dupes in the playlist pane after they are automatically added to the library.

Posted by floepie on May 24, 2005 at 9:01 PM (PDT)

This is an inferior product DO NOT UPDATE if you own an Ipod Photo and like your album art - Check the forums first!!!!!

Shame on Apple

Posted by janbo1960 on May 26, 2005 at 3:51 AM (PDT)

PS I belive Ipod Lounge should have done more to warn users!!

Posted by janbo1960 on May 26, 2005 at 3:53 AM (PDT)

Whenever I update iTunes the macromedia flash doesn’t work and I get a broken quicktime symbol. The only way I have found to fix this is to completely delete firefox using a desktop search tool. Sometimes this works and sometimes this doesn’t. Does anybody know why this happens? Or can offer any other solutions?

Posted by davemesaaz on May 28, 2005 at 8:04 AM (PDT)

Help!!  I am an XP user who just updated to itunes 4.8.  Since then I can no longer access the song database.  I get an error that says “cddb error. Http processing error”  I have updated several times in the past without a problem.

When I called for support Apple refered me to HP.(I was not rude and the rep actually hung up on me!)  HP said they do not support Itunes and sent me back to Apple.  Apple offered to help me with the problem for $49.95 an hour with no guarantee they could actually fix the problem.  Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by Bedhead on May 28, 2005 at 10:47 AM (PDT)

I hope the next gen. of iPods can “roll over” from Z-A. It would make scrolling for an album/song that much faster.

Posted by jace_ca on May 28, 2005 at 10:03 PM (PDT)

Got another new feature you didn’t mention.  Just noticed this one, it is rather obscure.  iTunes 4.8 now supports dual processor encoding of music files in Windows.  Kinda wierd, but iTunes used to use only one of my PC’s processor when I was ripping a CD, now it uses both of them and rips almost twice as fast!

Posted by Jozer99 on May 31, 2005 at 10:41 PM (PDT)

Page 3 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >