Apple releases iTunes 4.9, featuring podcast downloads [updated] | iLounge News

Apple releases iTunes 4.9, featuring podcast downloads [updated]

image As widely expected, Apple has today released iTunes 4.9 for Mac and Windows, the first version of the popular music management software to include built-in support for downloading of podcasts.

As described by the company, “With iTunes 4.9, you can now browse and subscribe to podcasts from within the iTunes Music Store. Podcasts are frequently updated radio-style shows downloadable over the Internet. You can also transfer podcasts to iPod, for listening on the go.”

Apple has also launched a “Publish Podcasts to the Music Store” information page for submitting your own podcast RSS feed for consideration.

Update: Apple has now officially announced the new version of iTunes, saying it is “taking Podcasting mainstream” by offering “everything users need to discover, subscribe, manage and listen to Podcasts.”

The company said the new Podcast Directory in iTunes 4.9 features over 3,000 free audio programs, with content from ABC News, Adam Curry, BBC, Clear Channel, The Dawn and Drew Show, Disney, Engadget, ESPN, Newsweek and NPR member stations such as KCRW in Los Angeles and WGBH in Boston.

« Apple simplifies iPod lineup, adds color screens to all full-size iPods

Mix: iPod competitors, iTeufel, Jaguar, LG shuffle »

Comments

I don’t know how you can not like the new features.  If you’re not into Podcasts then you ignore it, if you are then it’s a nice way to get them.  For now I think I’m going to stick with iPodderX except for a few which I’ll run through iTunes to compare them.  It’s a bit hidden how to add new ones that are not on the store.

But it’s certainly not anything to be angry about.

Posted by Jeffery Simpson on June 28, 2005 at 8:19 AM (PDT)

Has ‚ÄúReset Playcount‚Ä? always been an option in the library?
By robroe on 06.28.05 at 03:48 AM

Well I know it’s been there since at least 4.8 you’ll have to ask around for anything ealier (i suggest the apple discussion forums)

I do wish that some of the programs had their complete collection of podcasts (mp3 versions of their shows) available though, i.e. Quirks & Quarks, though it wasn’t termed podcasts back in 2000 that show has mp3 versions dating back to the 2000-2001 season though it’s a hassle to download them all (for the time being) from their site.  It took me a full day to get them all (thank god for speeddownload’s download queue, wouda hated to keep option clicking each mp3 link 7-10 at a time in safari)

Posted by keyMACer on June 28, 2005 at 8:51 AM (PDT)

Anything worthwhile in 4.9 if you don’t care about podcasts?

Posted by Bad Beaver on June 28, 2005 at 10:16 AM (PDT)

SUB GENRE - don’t know if this was in previous versions but if you browse the music store you now get subgenres. Very helpful to cut through big categories like alternative.

Posted by brewska on June 29, 2005 at 4:10 AM (PDT)

So, how long has PODcasting been around? Isn’t it called PODcasting because of the iPOD? and apple wasn’t supporting it until yesterday?

Posted by croooow in Fairfax, VA on June 29, 2005 at 5:31 AM (PDT)

my bbc feeds dont seem to be subscribing/downloading.

Posted by nigel on June 29, 2005 at 7:07 AM (PDT)

yet they do download to the podcast folder on my hard drive.  anyone else?

Posted by nigel on June 29, 2005 at 7:12 AM (PDT)

I won’t be switching to iTunes 4.9 for my podcatching, and it’s for one simple reason. They didn’t integrate the “Recently Added” smart playlist with podcasts, so it would mean I have to actively go and find the podcast then decide which is most recent. Right now I just play them as they queue in my “Recently Added” list and don’t have to think.

Posted by haoleboy on June 29, 2005 at 9:10 AM (PDT)

does anybody have an idea about why the norton internet worm protection keeps on popping up while I’m using itunes 4.9 It never happened with previous versions.  It keeps asking me whether to permit itunes and I keep saying yes.

Posted by brad on June 29, 2005 at 2:03 PM (PDT)

wait, i still dont get wat a podcast really is? lk satellite radio?

Posted by BlueSIm on June 29, 2005 at 6:13 PM (PDT)

need help with the norton internet worm issue….keeps popping up just like the message posted yesterday…can’t anyone from apple deal with this stuff?

thanks

Posted by JH on June 30, 2005 at 2:51 PM (PDT)

I’m following this thread to get the answer to the Norton popup problem, same as descibed above, since upgrading to 4.9.

Kerry

Posted by Kerry on July 1, 2005 at 7:03 PM (PDT)

me too.. that stupid thing is unbearable… i won’t be able to check out the podcast integration while this stupid thing keeps popping up! it’s going to really piss everyone off!

Posted by Willy Wonka on July 3, 2005 at 5:12 AM (PDT)

possible fix to the norton popup thing…if you go into norton and then click options, then internet worm protection, then program controls, I think that it may have had itunes in there twice or something.  I removed the itunes permit all right at the top and the popup window hasn’t appeared for the last 30 minutes.

don’t know if it will continue to work, but I suggest people try it and see if it works

Posted by brad on July 3, 2005 at 10:26 AM (PDT)

just tried that… no second itunes in there. what I did do is remove it from the list then add it again… i don’t know if it will work but it’s a possibility. Will post here again when I find out.. would be great if that’s all it takes to fix the nasty thing.

Posted by Willy Wonka on July 3, 2005 at 3:34 PM (PDT)

H’mm, I’m using Norton SystemWorks Premier 2005 and there is no “internet worm protection” or “program controls,” in the drop down “Options.”

Under Norton Virus, Status, it shows that “Internet worm protection” is on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Kerry

Posted by Kerry on July 4, 2005 at 3:15 PM (PDT)

The idea as stated above worked… no more pop-ups for me! as for you kerry.. there should be an options tab or an internet options tab in your norton? well you need to go to that and/or look around for the list of programs that Norton is blocking/allowing internet access. Once you find that list (probably containing programs like MSN Messenger and Mozilla Firefox .. that sort of thing) just remove and re-add iTunes. Good luck..

Posted by Willy Wonka on July 4, 2005 at 5:01 PM (PDT)

Im using shareaza and its already says its not blocking it but it keeps popping up? Any suggestions

Posted by Newbie on December 18, 2005 at 9:48 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2