Apple releases iTunes 5 | iLounge News

Apple releases iTunes 5

Apple also today announced iTunes 5, a major new version of its digital music jukebox that brings new features and a “refined look.” iTunes 5 includes a new Search Bar for searching your library and the iTunes Music Store faster; the ability to organize playlists into folders; Smart Shuffle, which lets the user change the “randomness? of shuffled songs; and the support for Windows users to automatically sync contacts and calendars from Outlook onto their iPods.

In addition, the iTunes Music Store has added parental controls and album reviews from “Apple’s team of music experts,” and now features a catalog of more than two million songs, making it “the largest online music catalog in the world,” according to Apple.

iTunes 5 for Mac and Windows is available as a free download now.  See iLounge’s iTunes 5 Feature Overview here.

« Motorola ROKR iTunes phone introduced (updated)

Shufflicious iPod shuffle pendant case announced »

Comments

Has anyone figured out how to turn the bloody store off in v5?  You could do it in earlier versions, but I can’t get it to go away from the sidebar in this one.

Posted by Michael on September 7, 2005 at 12:36 PM (PDT)

Maybe I’m just stupid. But I know in previous versions of itunes you had to get the iPod Updated for the iPod to work with it. Am I safe to just get the iTunes 5 this time, or do I need to get the updater first?

Posted by Aaron on September 7, 2005 at 12:40 PM (PDT)

Michael: Click the rightmost tab in Preferences to turn off sharing, Music Store and Podcasting.

Posted by Jesper on September 7, 2005 at 12:45 PM (PDT)

iPod Updater 2005-09-06 includes new iPod Software 1.0 for iPod nano. iPod Updater 2005-09-06 contains the same software versions as iPod Updater 2005-06-26 for all other iPod models.

From http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/

Posted by Marco Duarte on September 7, 2005 at 12:51 PM (PDT)

Thanks Jesper - I just figured that out myself.  It’s a weird way of doing it… makes me feel like I can’t trust myself.

Posted by Michael on September 7, 2005 at 12:54 PM (PDT)

Does anyone know how Smart Shuffle works?  Will we need a firmware upgrade for it to work on the iPod?

Posted by Gary on September 7, 2005 at 1:10 PM (PDT)

So how come the iPod nano has a load of cool new software feature, but people with real iPods don’t get them?

Posted by stadidas on September 7, 2005 at 1:14 PM (PDT)

Wonder if the playlist folders are only applicable to the library, or will they carry over to the iPod itself?  I kinda doubt it since the iPod Updater 9-6-05 doesn’t have anything new for the regular iPods, Nano update only.

Posted by Parrotthead Phan on September 7, 2005 at 1:16 PM (PDT)

when i buy a song in v5 it adds the song to the bottom of the purchased songs playlist, next to the first song i bought when the store first came out. It won’t put it next to the most recently purchased song. in 4.9 and before, they would appear in the order i purchased them. Anyone know what’s up with that?

Posted by jeff on September 7, 2005 at 1:39 PM (PDT)

I just tried it on my iPod with colour display and the playlists within folders just show seperately.

The only new feature that seems to work on the older software is the “Skip when shuffling” check box.

Posted by daveoc64 on September 7, 2005 at 1:43 PM (PDT)

Where is that checkbox?

Posted by aechevarria on September 7, 2005 at 2:20 PM (PDT)

So does installing itunes 5 BREAK ipod agent, or xplay2?  Anyone know? I don’t want to install it if it does.

Posted by Matt S. on September 7, 2005 at 2:27 PM (PDT)

Well, iTunes 5 managed to completely break half of my database, corrupting my playlists and all of my subscribed podcasts.  No big loss, just a lot of manual labour, and none of my music (iTMS or otherwise) was lost, but it was a tad annoying.  The occasional caveats of software updates.

Posted by Gnu on September 7, 2005 at 2:35 PM (PDT)

Get info, options. It’s the box at the bottom.

Posted by Ryan on September 7, 2005 at 2:51 PM (PDT)

On installing itunes 5 on my PC. there were loads of problems but now i finaaly installed it. all of my songs werent in iTunes so i had to re-copy the files into iTUnes. but this got rid of my playlists. “purchased music” and ALLLL of my precious ratings!!! woe is me! but seriously the playlists thing is a bummer.

Posted by ijerry in Glos, UK on September 7, 2005 at 3:37 PM (PDT)

as I suspected, the playlist folders only work in the iTunes Library - you can’t use them on the iPod itself.  Bummer. Hopefully we’ll be getting an update soon to incorporate this feature…

Posted by Parrothead Phan on September 7, 2005 at 4:47 PM (PDT)

Bummer, iTunes 5.0 lost my list of Podcasts.  It kept my wife’s (in a separate profile in XP) but not mine.  Good time to clean house though.

Right now, I’m waiting for 10GB of songs and podcasts to sync…

Posted by OrangeWhip on September 7, 2005 at 4:55 PM (PDT)

What happened to the brushed metal skin?? This one looks… dull.

...and my my Podcasts were added to my library… what’s up with that? I don’t like that. Idon’t want that to happen.

Posted by Andres on September 7, 2005 at 5:24 PM (PDT)

Has anyone had problems changing stuff on the info tab after selecting get info? Some of my songs I can change info, some I can’t!

Posted by Dan on September 7, 2005 at 6:26 PM (PDT)

One other change they’ve made to this version of iTunes is to add a Last Played date for Shuffle users.  Previously, for songs played on the Shuffle, the play count would increment, but the Last Played date wouldn’t get updated.  Now, each time you sync the Shuffle, all songs you played since the last sync get the current sync date as the Last Played date.  Nice addition!!

Posted by Rod Dunn on September 7, 2005 at 9:42 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >