Apple releases iTunes 5.0.1 | iLounge News

Apple releases iTunes 5.0.1

Apple has updated iTunes to version 5.0.1 to address fairly widespread issues affecting users. According to the brief releases notes accompanying the update, version 5.0.1 “features several stability improvements over iTunes 5.” No other specific details are available at this time. iTunes 5.0.1 can be downloaded here.

Last week, Apple acknowledged the problems users were experiencing and said it would release an update to fix the issues. “Apple is aware that a limited number of customers are experiencing issues with installing iTunes 5,? the company said at the time. “We’re working to resolve this and expect to have a software update early next week.?

« Altec Lansing rolls out new iPod gear

Analyst: iPod nano sales skewed towards 4GB black model »

Comments

Finally! I downloaded it and it works perfectly so far for me. :D This is the way 5.0 should have been, but enough of that, and FINALLY Quicktime 7 (the final version) is working GOOD on a PC! :D

Posted by Jack on September 20, 2005 at 6:36 PM (PDT)

I had been using iTunes with no problem but now (I believe since upgrading to 5.0) encounter the problem of putting a CD into my Mac and having iTunes open, recognize the CD, and then freeze (spinning color wheel); I can’t play or import a CD, and I have to force quit. I’ve upgraded to 5.0.1 and it hasn’t made any difference. This makes iTunes pretty useless to me at this point.
-Kieve

Posted by kieve Berkwits on September 20, 2005 at 7:52 PM (PDT)

Wish I never upgraded to iTunes 5.0.1. Now my iTunes and the iPod software don’t recognize my iPod. I’ve spent over 10 hours trying to fix the problem. (Do u know how much I charge my clients for an hour’s work?!) Thinking about just buying the Nano and throwing my iPod away. so annoyed.

Posted by Greg Wagner on September 20, 2005 at 11:02 PM (PDT)

Well, now that they upgraded iTunes (and by the way I don’t think the problem is with iTunes anymore), they need to post/upload a new iPod installer program to match it. Because, of the problems I’ve heard about this update to iTunes 5, it seems to be all about iPod compatibility.

Posted by Jack on September 20, 2005 at 11:40 PM (PDT)

I don’t get what can be so wonrg on peoples systems. I upgraded to 5.0 with no problems when it first came out. I had one problem, which said the iPod I was using was not compatible or something, restarted iTunes and the problem was solved. Surely if you’re computer meets minimum specs its fine? Is everyone thats complaining actually running iTunes on minimum specs?

Posted by silver_hazxe20 on September 21, 2005 at 12:00 AM (PDT)

Aside from the fact I installed 5.0 on a Windoze machine, iTunes has been working almost flawlessly, and this particular Dell is an OLD machine by today’s standards.  The only glitch I’ve encountered is that iTunes DOES have a tendency to load duplicate copies of the same song onto the nano (particularly after the song has been played on the computer, where the tag data like Play Count or Last Played has been modified). I haven’t noticed this occuring on my 3G, 4G or my wife’s Mini; only on the nano when manually updated with playlists.

Posted by flatline response on September 21, 2005 at 12:25 AM (PDT)

I upgraded to 5.0 as soon as it came out and also upgraded the firmware on my iPod. I have had no problems whatsoever running MacOSX. I’ll take a look at the release notes on this upgrade but, if it’s only bug fixes for issues I don’t have, I might leave things as they stand.

Posted by Jungle on September 21, 2005 at 2:22 AM (PDT)

Dont tell me… another 30MB download! Most people today (including myself) have broadband so its not a huge problem, but why cant Apple provide smaller “patch” downloads, which only update the bits you need?

Even Microsoft can manage this!

Posted by robroe in Manchester, UK on September 21, 2005 at 4:58 AM (PDT)

Does anyone know if this update is recommended if you have had no problems with 5.0.  Is there any benefit?  The iTunes website is very vague.

Posted by epie on September 21, 2005 at 7:15 AM (PDT)

Another Itunes update without CD-Text.  I’m starting to feel like Charlie Brown with the football.  I really wish they would add this functionality (since almost all other CD Burning software includes it).  My stereo in my wife’s new Chevy Equinox can read CD text and she loves the feature (keeps me from having to create detailed labels too…I just write the artist(s) and album titles).  What this is doing is keeping me from using Itunes my sole media utility and keeping me from staying with the AAC format, which I do prefer to MP3.  Not to mention that I can’t “officially” create a CD Text cd with Itunes purchased music.

Posted by rgshelton on September 21, 2005 at 9:00 AM (PDT)

“but why cant Apple provide smaller “patch? downloads, which only update the bits you need?”

I think they want to make it simple for new users (which is a good idea for buisness)

So instead of the base software and a seperate patch, they just give you the whole thing at once.

Posted by skw on September 21, 2005 at 9:51 AM (PDT)

“Surely if you’re computer meets minimum specs its fine? Is everyone thats complaining actually running iTunes on minimum specs? “

That’s not how things work. Sorry but it’s a bit naive to think that this is simply the case of people not meeting the system requirements.

Apple put out a buggy version of Itunes and its creating all sorts of problems for people. Apparently 5.01 is still a problem and the same errors are still there. Apple needs to find out why their install is screwing up things so badly and why things like the outlook sync feature are so broken.

I’m really not a fan of this blame the victim mentality that surrounds problems with apple products. They are not perfect you know, and it’s clear they didn’t do enough testing on the 5.x series or else we wouldn’t be seeing so many problems.

Posted by mesostinky on September 21, 2005 at 10:49 AM (PDT)

skw,
  They could do patch releases and still make it simple, basically the same way win-update works.  You download a small setup program that checks the current version of itunes, and automatically downloads everything needed to update it.  30mb is a big deal to the dialup crowd, and it’s bad business to make the customer wait.

Posted by __redruM in Gaithersburg, MD on September 21, 2005 at 1:46 PM (PDT)

Personally 5.0.1.4 hasn’t fixed my issues. As a stability update we may be waiting for quite a while for new features (though with Apple that could be next week, next month - who can say!!). As a download, an Apple support link would have been nice for a small patch. As would an explanation of what they’re meant to have fixed!

Posted by smckane in UK on September 21, 2005 at 4:30 PM (PDT)

i installed the update and it worked fine until the next morning when itunes decides not to recognize the ipod at all, i’ve had similer problems in the past and had to resort to a format of the ipod, i thought this update would actually fix problems rather than cause new ones. right now im still in the process of trying to get it to regonize my device :(

Posted by annoyedbyitunes on September 22, 2005 at 1:41 AM (PDT)

awesome! now it works!

Posted by augustine73 on September 22, 2005 at 4:56 AM (PDT)

My iPod has not been recognized by iTunes since I updated to 5.0.1.4.  It basically freezes iTunes and requires a hard re-boot. The Apple is rotten as far as I’m concerned.

Posted by MY on September 22, 2005 at 12:53 PM (PDT)

It’s nice to see that they finally stopped putting the stupid quicktime in my startup.  I hated having to regedit every time I upgraded iTunes.

Posted by Me on September 23, 2005 at 12:00 PM (PDT)

you do know that you dont have to do that anyway, eh? All you have to do is right click it and open up Prefs. On one of the pref pages there is a check box for System Tray. Un check it. Tada

Posted by jason Brennan on September 23, 2005 at 1:44 PM (PDT)

My upgrade went smoothly.  Everything works…except now I can’t burn CDs in Itunes.  I have tried everything.  I am so mad.

Posted by Michelle on September 24, 2005 at 8:57 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >