Apple releases iTunes 7.0.1 update | iLounge News

Apple releases iTunes 7.0.1 update

image

Apple today released an updated version of iTunes 7 to fix widespread problems that surfaced in the initial release of the software earlier this month. According to Apple’s brief release notes, iTunes 7.0.1 “addresses stability and performance issues with Cover Flow, CD importing, iPod syncing, and more.” As previously reported, a large number of iTunes users flooded Apple’s discussion boards and iLounge’s forums with complaints about the issues shortly after iTunes 7 was released at Apple’s special event on September 12th. Application bugs reported by users varied widely; it is unknown which specific issues will be fixed with this update.

« Microsoft prices Zune at $249.99; Due out in November

Mix: Space, iGames, iPod factory, CinemaNow »

Comments

I just had a looooooooong restart/startup after installing the update….gees!

Posted by blur on September 27, 2006 at 1:49 PM (CDT)

I finall got everything working under 7.  Think I’ll wait till I hear more comments on 7.0.1 before upgrading to it

Posted by Y.E. Coyote on September 27, 2006 at 1:51 PM (CDT)

I have had my itunes 7 freeze so much… and not sync my ipod etc… so i finially gave up on it… and waited till… itunes 7.1 which is here… no bugs, no freezing everything works!

Posted by Eric Lewis on September 27, 2006 at 1:54 PM (CDT)

Personally everything in iTunes i have used so far works perfectly fine for me, so i dont see a need to download this update, unless iTunes makes me, i probably wont

Posted by Freemind on September 27, 2006 at 2:16 PM (CDT)

Well, I’m not sure what they fixed about CoverFlow.  It still has a bad memory leak.  Without CoverFlow open, iTunes uses around 21 K of memory.  After 45 seconds of using CoverFlow, it shoots up to 115 K.  I closed it after that cuz I really don’t dare to see how high it will go.  I have 2 GB of RAM.

Does this happen to anyone else?  What the hell did they “fix?”

Posted by ilan on September 27, 2006 at 3:01 PM (CDT)

I wonder what new bugs 7.1 will have and what features it will break.

I really see no reason to upgrade, as I don’t use the Ipod for video. I wish Apple would spend half as much time improving the Ipod for what it was intended to do, PLAY MUSIC, as they do trying to make it into something it isn’t (Television).

In my opinion, the whole idea of using an Ipod for Video is just silly.

Why not improve the existing MP3 functionality and focus on that instead of adding a new feature no one uses, and ruining the core of what the Ipod and ITunes was made for in the first place?

Posted by SillyDog on September 27, 2006 at 3:27 PM (CDT)

And what good is that Apple Software Update I installed on my PC? I used it daily since iTunes 7 was released, including today, and it said that there were no updates.

Posted by Eric on September 27, 2006 at 3:32 PM (CDT)

I like how when I click on “Check for updates” I get this message box:

“This version of iTunes (7.0) is the current version.”

Must I manually download and install? Is an uninstall necessary?

Posted by Don on September 27, 2006 at 3:32 PM (CDT)

Maybe the next version of the Ipod it will be able to microwave tiny little bite size meals so it can double as a kitchen when you travel.

And once they get the microwave to stop messing up the video playback, they will put small wheels on it, and you can stand on it and ride it like a miniture scooter. By that time they will have totally removed the MP3 player altogether as they wouldn’t want to get sued over someone riding the scooter wearing earphones and having an accident cause they didn’t hear a horn honking at them.

Posted by JoeBob on September 27, 2006 at 3:34 PM (CDT)

Don, I’m having the same problem!

Posted by dooya on September 27, 2006 at 3:56 PM (CDT)

>>>If I were an Apple developer, I would have fixed one issue, and released an update… and continued until the major stuff had been addressed, not kept everyone with a problem waiting.

Uh, I’m sure they fixed more than ONE issue, and this has come out VERY soon after 7.0.

Stop whining.

Posted by hm on September 27, 2006 at 4:07 PM (CDT)

Didn’t fix my major bug. Neither my 1st or 2nd gen nano will remember customization of its music library columns. Ejecting and reconnecting always brings back a fixed arrangement, including a “Description” column heading that doesn’t even belong in a music library (it’s a podcast library tag). Customizing the PC library columns works, just not the nano’s own music library columns.

Posted by David on September 27, 2006 at 4:29 PM (CDT)

does this update fix the ‘no sound out of the rear speakers for quad and surround setups’ bug?  Id really like for the rear speakers to work again, especially because of the non conventional setup I have where the front speakers are hooked up in a different room from the rear speakers.

Posted by wes on September 27, 2006 at 4:40 PM (CDT)

anyone know if the new update gives you the option of turning off the gapless playback feature.

like when you start up itunes its says “deterening gapless playback”  can I just turn that off?

Posted by steven on September 27, 2006 at 4:41 PM (CDT)

It still gets an error almost every time I try to burn a CD and crashes when I try to close it, so this update hasn’t fixed everything (or in my case, anything).  On the positive side, I haven’t come across any new bugs. Yay?

Posted by Phronk on September 27, 2006 at 4:50 PM (CDT)

First off, this update is 7.0.1, not 7.1 as half of you are saying.

Next, for those of you complaining that Apple should further work on the iPod for what it was “meant to do” should also realize that Apple has the final say in what the iPod is “meant to do” so it doesn’t matter.

Posted by selyr on September 27, 2006 at 4:53 PM (CDT)

this version of itunes has caused me to already lose my ipod library once by freezing.  having to force quit itunes caused some issue which could only be fixed by restoring the ipod! bye bye music..

even right now, it’s stuck on Determining Gapless playback…what the heck?  how did all these problems happen, when version 6 worked like a charm?

Grrr…...

Posted by tim on September 27, 2006 at 4:55 PM (CDT)

Does anybody have the old (7.0.0) version of iTunes for OS X .dmg?
I accidentally installed the update, and found that accessing files on an SMB share has extremely decreased performance. Please upload the .dmg to rapidshare or the likes and post the URL.

Thank you in advance!

Posted by zcitso on September 27, 2006 at 4:58 PM (CDT)

i am surprised you guys can even make posts…are your sure your computers are working right. you guys wine and cry more than a two year old little girl.

Posted by archesdevi on September 27, 2006 at 6:31 PM (CDT)

blur, it doesn’t need restart.

Posted by edward on September 27, 2006 at 6:57 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›