Apple releases iTunes 7.0.1 update | iLounge News

Apple releases iTunes 7.0.1 update

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, September 27, 2006
News Categories: iTunes

image

Apple today released an updated version of iTunes 7 to fix widespread problems that surfaced in the initial release of the software earlier this month. According to Apple’s brief release notes, iTunes 7.0.1 “addresses stability and performance issues with Cover Flow, CD importing, iPod syncing, and more.” As previously reported, a large number of iTunes users flooded Apple’s discussion boards and iLounge’s forums with complaints about the issues shortly after iTunes 7 was released at Apple’s special event on September 12th. Application bugs reported by users varied widely; it is unknown which specific issues will be fixed with this update.

« Microsoft prices Zune at $249.99; Due out in November

Mix: Space, iGames, iPod factory, CinemaNow »

Comments

I think most of the issues are with the Windows people. After reading the posts, I see that iTunes 7 is still buggy (especially the memory leak).

I had installed iTunes 7.0 and it went belly up so I went back to the last iTunes 6. I was waiting for a patch and 7.0.1 is here but it doesn’t seem to fix enough issues for me to switch.

To all those who say: “iTunes 7.0 works like a charm for me.” Well, why did Apple issue the 7.0.1 patch so quickly? Maybe because unlike you, they did reproduce the problems in house and found the fixes? Just because you don’t see a problem doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

Let this be a lesson to all those who said: “It works fine.” Obviously it didn’t, hence why we got a patch so quickly.

Posted by Zeuser on September 27, 2006 at 3:57 PM (PDT)

I second the comment about criticizing Apple for attempting a fix!  I know it’s frustrating (myself included) but with considerable patience & determination it is possible to correct the problems in 7.0 by tweaking the Quicktime settings.

For the record, just visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/ for a lesson in forum ettiquette.  This is an example of community debate & not just a place to let off steam!

Posted by earlyadopter on September 27, 2006 at 4:17 PM (PDT)

with itunes 7 it took up to 15 minutes to recognize my ipod and sync.

7.0.1 immediately recognizes and updates.  but it *still* lists songs out of order on my ipod for albums.  WTF?

Posted by Jeff on September 27, 2006 at 4:40 PM (PDT)

wow looks like a lot of people arent happy with apple or ipods, but you have to give them a break, i mean they really deliver as a company altogether. within what a week theres an update. you really cant complain too much. My ipod got messed up with the itunes 7 and there was no music on my ipod after an update. Hopefully this update fixes it, and if so thank you apple.

Posted by yo on September 27, 2006 at 5:15 PM (PDT)

I had to laugh today when I installed the update.  After rebooting I fired up iTunes and, lo and behold, iTunes.exe was missing!  Ha!  I had to repair before I could open it.

Why do I laugh?  Because it’s nice to see that Apple is mortal afterall.  Yes, folks, it’s not just Microsoft that has issues with its free software from time to time that need fixing.  Who knew that even Apple folks could err once in awhile?  Who knew?

I’m just hoping this fixes the issue I have been having with some of my podcasts causing my iPod to restart unless I play them in iTunes for a few seconds before fixing.  *That* was a bit annoying.

All this being said, iTunes has got to be some of the most amazing free software out there hands down.  Did anyone notice that when you scroll quickly on you iPod, the letter pops up on the screen to show you where you are?  I didn’t ask for that but I *like* it!

Posted by MrChris on September 27, 2006 at 5:50 PM (PDT)

this version of itunes isn’t much better. i wish i had never upgraded.  i should learn that I can expect only the very minimum level of competence from apple.

Posted by a.a. on September 27, 2006 at 7:22 PM (PDT)

i installed 7.0.1.  apple still has not fixed manual sync with an ipod.  in itunes 6 i was able to drag-and-drop my music from windows directly to the ipod using itunes.  now i’m not able to do that.  i first have to drag the music to the itunes library, then drag it to the ipod.  this is a real hassle, and i hope it gets fixed.

Posted by kreg37 on September 27, 2006 at 7:53 PM (PDT)

I guess i’m the only one half way pleased with this update. It fixed the problem I had where itunes didn’t recognize the ipod without restarting my computer. On the other hand, I guess i’ll have to wait for the ipod software 1.2.1 before I can expect the software update and ipod restore functions to work. Is there any word to a fix for that, as I did read several others on the forums complaning about the exact same problem.

Posted by krevin on September 27, 2006 at 8:45 PM (PDT)

The only seem it seemed to fix is browsing the store.
Previously it would crash when I’d go to the Music Videos, TV Shows or Movies page. Now it doesn’t. But the “New & Featured” section is a blank box.

And CoverFlow still doesn’t work for me. (It’s totally screwed up geometry and no scroll bar.) I have a Radeon 9800 Pro and ALL of my firmware and drivers are up to date.

Posted by M3wThr33 on September 27, 2006 at 8:52 PM (PDT)

a.a. Get over yourself your probably the same person bragging about apple one day and as soon as they make a mistake chewing them out the next. Everyone makes mistakes too bad someone at ilounge didnt make a mistake and delete your post then at least the people who cared enough to list what problems hadn’t been resolved with the update would feel better.

Posted by Travis on September 27, 2006 at 8:57 PM (PDT)

i have heard that when you download album art through itunes, that the album art is not transfered to the ipod, is this true, did they fix it in the latest update?
thanks,
Jonathan

Posted by Jonathan on September 27, 2006 at 9:17 PM (PDT)

still ipod has video scrambling anomaly. looks like there is no fix to firmware included in new itunes?

Posted by rudolfraith on September 27, 2006 at 9:43 PM (PDT)

for windows users that are having problems with manual sync, specifically the lack of direct drag and drop of songs to the ipod: i’ve found that dragging and dropping songs (and videos) into existing playlists does the trick… no more importing into itunes library first. you can then delete the newly added songs from the playlist.
good luck!

Posted by ivan on September 27, 2006 at 9:47 PM (PDT)

Had MAJOR problems with the original update that were not solved with 7.01.08. This is absolutely one of the biggest blunders that Apple could have made 3 months before Christmas! Going back to V6!

Posted by T Putz on September 27, 2006 at 9:55 PM (PDT)

hey, thanks for the tip, ivan.  i’m glad someone else is acknowledging that this is a problem.  i don’t think many people load their music like this (or else they’d be complaining too).  i hope it gets fixed.

Posted by kreg37 on September 27, 2006 at 10:22 PM (PDT)

Same exact problem: iTunes “sees” my iPods only the first time I plug them in. After that, nothing. Running “repair” from the installation file fixes this, ONE time. In other words, I have to run the repair file each time I plug in my iPod in order for iTunes to sync. This has become quite time consuming!

Posted by Laer on September 27, 2006 at 10:36 PM (PDT)

Well, after waiting over 20 minutes for the update to install (no idea why it took so long! iTunes 7 installed in a flash…), I’m still majorly disappointed. I’ve got a brand new 80GB iPod, if I want to sync it, I have to stop the iTunes service, plug it in, start the service, manually open iTunes and then hope it’ll detect my iPod. If it does, I’ve got approximately 2 minutes to sync before it just spontaneously stops detecting it. Then I need to repeat the whole process… just like I had to do before I updated.

Posted by Nishita on September 27, 2006 at 11:27 PM (PDT)

iTunes really has improved after this update!!!

improved (increased) the size of RAM usage that is.

iTunes 7.0.1 now running at just below 200 000kb of ram

great work guys!!

Posted by Christopher on September 28, 2006 at 12:18 AM (PDT)

and my ipod still hangs when trying to play podcasts sometimes
(after firmware update)

Posted by Christopher on September 28, 2006 at 12:20 AM (PDT)

My demands on itunes are minimal so I have not experienced the problems many others have had.
I have noticed the letter display as I scroll through the library on my iPod.  I must admit that this letter is extremely annoying.  It appears as a distraction as if I cannot tell what letter I am scrollong through.
I have a 60gb Video and my library of music is large, but not so large that I need this indicator.
I realize that some may appeciate this feature and so I would like to be able to just turn it off.
To compound matters, this feature is intermittent.  Sometimes it works, other times I never see it.
I have not yet upgraded to 7.0.1.
I am very happy with the gapless playback.

Posted by SouthernGothic on September 28, 2006 at 2:19 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >