Apple releases iTunes 7.0.2 update | iLounge News

Apple releases iTunes 7.0.2 update

image

Apple today posted iTunes version 7.0.2. According to the brief release notes, the update adds support for the second-generation iPod shuffle, which will hit stores this Friday, and also “addresses a variety of stability and performance issues found in iTunes 7 and 7.0.1.” No further information was provided.

« iLounge debuts The 2007 iPod Buyers’ Guide

XtremeMac announces TuffWrap Accent for 2G iPod nano »

Comments

I hope this update is more for “stability and performance issues” than it is to add a driver so that iTunes can recognize the 2nd generation Shuffle.
Here’s hoping.

Posted by LC Angell on October 31, 2006 at 6:09 PM (CST)

I doubt there is much bug fixing going on in this release. Also why do automatic updates never work? I waited like 3 days before I gave in and manually downloaded the 7.0.1 update and this one isn’t updating either. I might as well delete this apple updater if they never update it.

Posted by LC Angell on October 31, 2006 at 6:16 PM (CST)

It showed up in my Software Update (Mac).  My red nano now shows up as red instead of silver and the Cover Flow feature works much, much better now as well.

Posted by LC Angell on October 31, 2006 at 7:17 PM (CST)

If only it could fix what itunes latest update did to my ipod (anapod explorer doesn’t recognize anymore because it is now labeled as a nano instead of a 5g ipod video

Posted by LC Angell on October 31, 2006 at 7:36 PM (CST)

I figured out just exactly what this update fixes.  it makes at least half of the albums on itunes cost $11.99 or more.  best update ever.  thanks apple.

Posted by LC Angell on October 31, 2006 at 7:56 PM (CST)

Does anyone have experience with what 7.0 did on Windows XP machines?  My iPod video was no longer seen by hardware discovery, and it had to be reinstalled from scratch using the original CD, and my itunes library had to be rebuilt from scratch after ripping iTunes off my system.

I’m not going to risk any “update” until I hear that someone who had all the same troubles no longer has them with the latest version.

Posted by LC Angell on October 31, 2006 at 8:14 PM (CST)

i switched b ack to 6.0.5 because my ipod wouldnt finish syncing after hours with 7, and it was way too slow

Posted by LC Angell on October 31, 2006 at 8:44 PM (CST)

I installed it on my MacBook, and now iTunes is “Updating iTunes LIbrary…”  Hmmm… never seen that before.

Posted by LC Angell on October 31, 2006 at 11:14 PM (CST)

mine’s also ‘updating itunes library’ and it’s stalled and seems like it may take all night, if it ever resumes.

updated because lately i can’t update my ipod without itunes stalling and crashing…

it took probably 15 minutes to add one song to my library… i know i can’t have too much music… only about 6500 songs…

Posted by LC Angell on November 1, 2006 at 12:34 AM (CST)

When I signed into the iTunes Store, I found myself in the Japanese section. Just for giggles I clicked on a song and it said I was not authorized to buy in that country. All too odd. I wonder what would have happened if I actually did ever go to Japan and buy a song! At any rate, all fixed now.

Posted by LC Angell on November 1, 2006 at 2:34 AM (CST)

Nice. My first sync without any trouble since the release of iTunes 7. Still slow, but hey. At least it didnt break my iPod video like iTunes 7.00 did to my now defunt iPod photo 30gb.

Ain’t this weird that iTunes7 screwed up iPods and, especially, 1G iPod shuffles?

Posted by LC Angell on November 1, 2006 at 2:57 AM (CST)

I won’t update to iTunes 7 (again) until I hear from lots more users that its stable.  It took me a few days to get things back to normal after previously unsuccessfully updating to 7.0 on a 2g nano, and I am now back to 6.05.20 and very happy.
I won’t get fooled again!

Posted by LC Angell on November 1, 2006 at 3:10 AM (CST)

Maybe I’m one of the lucky ones, but iTunes hasn’t given me any problems, but I only got my first iPod (a red Nano) last Thursday, and have only used iTunes 7.0.1 and 7.0.2.

I liked the fact that it recognizes my red Nano now, but wondering why I found out about through Wikipedia of all places when iTunes itself said there were no updates.

It *did* divert me to the Japan store, but that was easily fixed.

Posted by LC Angell on November 1, 2006 at 3:41 AM (CST)

I haven’t done the update, but my Music Store is in German or French.  How did this happen??  Brian English…How did you redirect the store to the USA?

Posted by LC Angell on November 1, 2006 at 4:05 AM (CST)

Are you guys having problems using the Windows version of iTunes, cos it runs flawlessly on my Mac…

Posted by LC Angell on November 1, 2006 at 4:21 AM (CST)

well i just updated to the recent itunes update 7.0.2 and i dont see any difference from the previous version. firmware is still the crap 1.2 and stability fixes HA my ipod still resets radomly when i turn the equalizer on.

Posted by LC Angell on November 1, 2006 at 5:21 AM (CST)

To change back to the correct store for your country, click on “View My Account” under “Store” from the drop down menu, log on and it will change back automatically.

Posted by LC Angell on November 1, 2006 at 7:34 AM (CST)

Just updated on XP. Update ran OK. On first run it said Updating Itunes Library for several minutes. Dont know why, but all my ratings and playcounts appear to be intact (i remember THAT update!) So far so good.

Posted by LC Angell on November 1, 2006 at 8:20 AM (CST)

I see lots of people complaining about iTunes 7 all the time, though it works waaay better with me, and I haven’t seen anything negative about it here

Posted by LC Angell on November 1, 2006 at 8:22 AM (CST)

My only remaining problem with iTunes 7 (and 7.0.1) is that I would constantly lose podcasts that were recently added on the machine, in that iTunes would lose the files, and not recognize that it did, and would then complain about it.

I shouldn’t be losing 18 files in the space of a week!

Posted by LC Angell on November 1, 2006 at 9:23 AM (CST)