Apple releases iTunes 7.0.2 update | iLounge News

Apple releases iTunes 7.0.2 update

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, October 31, 2006
News Categories: iTunes

image

Apple today posted iTunes version 7.0.2. According to the brief release notes, the update adds support for the second-generation iPod shuffle, which will hit stores this Friday, and also “addresses a variety of stability and performance issues found in iTunes 7 and 7.0.1.” No further information was provided.

« iLounge debuts The 2007 iPod Buyers’ Guide

XtremeMac announces TuffWrap Accent for 2G iPod nano »

Comments

7.0 actually has been fairly glitch-free on this XP Pro machine that I use to synch our iPods with, but then again it’s also a clean install and not an update/upgrade from an earlier iTunes installation—the wonders of having to REINSTALL Windoze because of a possible ROOTKIT infestation.

Thank Q, Oh Hole-ly Microshaft.

I haven’t synched most of our older iPods with it yet (mostly because those are pretty much retired), but the 1G Mini, 1G nanos and 5G/5GEnhanced seem to work fine, other than both versions of the 5G take a LONG time disconnecting from the computer (but our early 5Gs also did in the 6.x versions as well). The only irk I’ve come across so far is that 7.0.1 won’t completely finish out a song when a playing single file through iTunes. It also exhibits the same problem with the last song in a series of songs played through iTunes as well. The play count won’t update, and the status window won’t go back to the Apple logo. Before the Windows reinstall, 7.0.0 had a similar behavior, but only about half the time (that install WAS an upgrade from 6.whatever).

Other than that, 7.0.1 seems to work fine on this XP machine, so there’s no desire on my part to tempt fate and download 7.0.2.

Posted by flatline response on November 1, 2006 at 7:40 AM (PDT)

I take it back…just now, 7.0.1 will sometimes ‘skip’ during file playback, but it’s inconsistent and doesn’t occur in the same location of a particular file. Doesn’t seem to make a difference if the file was ripped with iTunes or with my preferred AAC ripper, Nero 7.

Posted by flatline response on November 1, 2006 at 8:11 AM (PDT)

I haven’t had problems with ANY of the iTunes updates, from 7.0 - 7.02 both my Mac at home and at work.

Posted by ahMEmon on November 1, 2006 at 8:43 AM (PDT)

I just noticed that the Movie and TV sections are gone from my iTunes Store options.  I do not have anything checked in the Parental Control.  THAT is interesting

Posted by Koby on November 1, 2006 at 8:51 AM (PDT)

Now, they’re back.  Man that’s weird

Posted by Koby on November 1, 2006 at 8:52 AM (PDT)

When playing songs in 7.0, I would get skips or choppy playback, especially when beginning to work in other apps after starting iTunes.  I could “fix” the problem simply by pausing, then restarting, and that would seem to fix it until after I closed up the laptop and took it home and started iTunes again.  It appears the upgrade to 7.0.2 has fixed this problem completely.

Posted by genius on November 1, 2006 at 9:05 AM (PDT)

I’ve never had any problems with any release of iTunes, on OS X 10.3.x or XP Home; every version has worked exactly how it should for me.

The problem people are describing about “choppy playback” is one that I get occasionally on my iPod (5G with v1.2), but it’s quickly sorted so I can put up with it until v1.3.

Posted by Levi on November 1, 2006 at 9:59 AM (PDT)

Does anyone know yet why the ‘Updating iTunes Library’ happens? It ended up causing 500/7000 files to be copied back to my iPod, so it must have changed them.

Posted by Kris on November 1, 2006 at 10:07 AM (PDT)

Anyone else finding that Party Shuffle is broken.  It no longer shuffles up the songs, but instead merely listss my entire library.  Trying to limit it to the next 20 songs or whatever has absolutley no effect.  When will this be remedied?

Posted by Mike on November 1, 2006 at 10:09 AM (PDT)

I automatically ended up in the Japanese Itunes store as well, when I signed on!!

2 questions: 1) has anyone else had this happen and 2) Is it true the album prices go up with the new version?

Posted by dmk4657 on November 1, 2006 at 10:40 AM (PDT)

I would love to update to iTunes 7,if for no other reason than the Coverflow option is so cool.  But no matter how many times I change the Quicktime settings my playback is choppy and stutters.  Tried 7.0 and 7.01.  Both times I had to painfully rebuild everything in 6.05.  4 iPods in my house, I just wish Apple could figure out how to make this thing run with my Soundblaster sound card.  I’d love to give 7.02 a chance, but just can’t face hours on another total library overhaul.

Posted by Charles on November 1, 2006 at 10:55 AM (PDT)

iTunes 7.0.0 for Windows was quite a drag for many, failing to recognize iPods and running very slowly.

By contrast, I found that 7.0.1 ran quite well on my remaining WinXP/2000 machines and have installed 7.0.2 on them with no problems at all; this is my last install on Windows, I am switching the whole house to Mac next week. The whole Windows experiment was fun for 6 years, we learned a lot, but it is time to move on.

The upshot is that those who experienced trouble with 7.0.0 are strongly encouraged to update to 7.0.2 - it is definitely better and may well address whatever issues you were having.

Posted by BradPDX in Portland, OR USA on November 1, 2006 at 11:23 AM (PDT)

Considering my complex and rather big library I shyed away from 7.0.0 and waited for 7.0.1, which has only show two issues so far for me: incidental stuttering playback and random disabeling of adding new tunes.

The stuttering playback in 7.0.1 appears to be related to heavy usage of disc acces capacity. On my XP it only happens when I start up another application that does a lot of I/O to my hard disk, for example a thumbnail viewer.

Much more annoying is some completely random happening failure to add new tunes. Only a full XP reboot cures this.

I hope they solved these issues in 7.0.2 since it makes my machine sound like some antique 368, which it rather isn’t :S

Posted by Ericc B on November 1, 2006 at 12:02 PM (PDT)

I installed this AND the new ATI Catalyst drivers today. Neither changed my system at all.

I still don’t have CoverFlow. It’s just a black box.

Posted by M3wThr33 on November 1, 2006 at 12:23 PM (PDT)

LOL.  a couple people complained about being directed to the japan itunes music store, and that prices have gone up, so i decided to check it out on my itunes (6.5.20)  It directed me to Japan too!!!!  So i guess that is an itunes store problem, not just a itunes 7 problem..

anyone figure out how to get back to the good ole USA site?

Posted by crash613 on November 1, 2006 at 1:20 PM (PDT)

Ok got it back to the USA site by logging out of my itunes account and logging back on… just wondering about the pricing though… i pulled up My Chemical Romance The Black Parade album.. just because it was one of the top albums.. it shows up for sale at $10.89..  please advise on the price on a itunes 7.0.2 machine.

Posted by crash613 on November 1, 2006 at 1:30 PM (PDT)

I was also redirected to the Japanese iTunes Store. It looked noticeably different, but I had no problem accepting it—UNTIL I tried to click on the link for “TV Shows,” and noticed it was missing.

It was only then that I saw so much Japanese text on the page. Clicking my account name in the top right corner immediately hit me with a dialog box that redirected me to the U.S. Store.

I didn’t have any problems with the previous version, so I haven’t really noticed much difference. The “Updating iTunes Library” went by pretty quickly for me and my roommate.

Posted by BJ Nemeth on November 1, 2006 at 4:10 PM (PDT)

Before I saw news of the new update I noticed that my iTunes store was displaying most of its text in Spanish!  I had made no settings changes, and verified iTunes was set to English.

Fortunately I’m fluent in Spanish and had no issues, but was amused at the fact that in some places the language was more “Spanglish” than Spanish, as in “Top Canciones” instead of “Canciones mas populares” or something like that.

I assume this is a side effect of the new iTunes Latino (or whatever it’s called)?  I’ll see if this still happens after my update to 7.0.2

Posted by atreyu on November 1, 2006 at 4:10 PM (PDT)

crash613
the My Chemical Romance The Black Parade album is $10.98 as shown in my 7.02 store login.

I have had no major problems with itunes 7 or 7.01 but I update whenever a new version comes out anyway.

That annoying letter that pops up when scrolling through my library on the iPod that appeared intermittently with the 7.01 update is still intermittent with the 7.02 update.

I have not had any problems with the itunes store with the update.

Posted by SouthernGothic on November 1, 2006 at 9:00 PM (PDT)

“What I did find suprising is that Apple Updater did not do anything with 7.02.  I had to manually search for it and download only after learning about it on iLounge.”

Maybe because we’re the beta testers.

Posted by Josh on November 1, 2006 at 9:30 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >