Apple releases iTunes 7.6.1, starts Movie of the Week promo | iLounge News

Apple releases iTunes 7.6.1, starts Movie of the Week promo

Apple today released iTunes 7.6.1, and announced a new $0.99 Movie of the Week promotion in an email sent out to iTunes Movie Rental customers. According to Apple, iTunes 7.6.1 “includes several bug fixes and improves compatibility with Apple TV software version 2.0.” iTunes 7.6.1 is available now through Apple’s Software Update utility. Separate from the release of iTunes 7.6.1, Apple also officially introduced its new $0.99 Movie of the Week promotion, in which a different movie will be available to rent each week, from Thursday through Monday, for $0.99. Like other rentals, users still have 30 days to begin watching the film. This week’s movie is The Hours; last week, iLounge editor Jesse David Hollington noted a $0.99 rental price on the classic film Breakfast at Tiffany’s, suggesting that the promotion has been going on unannounced for at least a week.

« 5G iPod hacked for internal Bluetooth

Ambrosia updates iToner, adds iPhone 1.1.3, format support »

Comments

Great!  Maybe this update will fix the issue with iTunes continually making me authorize my computer to play purchases and actually transfer them to my iPod.

Posted by Dubya on February 21, 2008 at 9:48 PM (CST)

I upgraded to the new iTunes today and now iTunes won’t open. I just got my first iPod and now I can’t use it. Apparently this is a problem for many people, yet Apple denies knowing anything about this issue. I hope Mac magazines take special notice of this issue.

Posted by Mike on February 22, 2008 at 2:12 AM (CST)

My iTunes also won’t open. I am incredibly disapointed that such a huge bug would go unnoticed by Apple.

Posted by Adam on February 22, 2008 at 9:15 AM (CST)

Are you guys that are having problems running OSX or Windows XP/Vista?

Posted by madchinaman on February 22, 2008 at 10:27 AM (CST)

I would not run this update until Apple lets us know what is going on with it. I ran it last night and have had immediate problems. First I tried to watch one of my ripped movies in iTunes on ApTV, after about 10 min jittering and stuttering made it unwatchable—I have never had problems streaming movies before even those encoded high bit rate3000kb/s. Went to my iMac, and the screensaver was running - tried to awake screen, and it went black except for the pointer - could not get out of it without a hard boot - thought it was due to iTunes artwork screensaver that I was using but problem persists with other screen savers - after about 6 or 8 hardboots (can’t be good for my external drives) I am trying to disable screensaver totally - takes forever for screensaver/desktop preference pane to even show up. Can’t even get through to AppleCare number.
I am running Leopard (10.5.2)on a white 24"iMac 2.16mHz core 2 duo 250G w/2G ram -iTunes library located on external LaCie 1tb drive connected by firewire800, AppleTV 40GB recently updated to Take2 software conneced to iMac by ethernet hardline.

Posted by John on February 22, 2008 at 12:04 PM (CST)

No problems with my iMac 2.4GHz running OS X Leopard. Perfect
Simon

Posted by Simon on February 22, 2008 at 3:40 PM (CST)

Mine was on XP, and it opened after giving it about five minutes to sit and think.

Posted by Adam on February 22, 2008 at 11:39 PM (CST)

I’m running Vista and had the same problem.  When I tried to open Itunes I would get an appcrash error and it would close.  After uninstalling and reinstalling a few times, I had to go back to 7.6.0.29. Ridiculous!

Posted by Kevin on February 23, 2008 at 11:39 AM (CST)

Running Windows Vista Ultimate…...and this update runs perfectly—smooth as silk, no problems

Posted by Huskerz85 on February 24, 2008 at 4:01 PM (CST)

Running WinXP, I was actually having lots of issues with iTunes 7.6 such as heavy cpu usage and itunes freezes, but this release (7.6.1) has fixed most of my issues and it works pretty well…

Posted by J-C Landau on February 25, 2008 at 1:56 PM (CST)

Bug Alert!

When importing CDs in 7.6.1.9, the last 2-6 seconds of the last track on the CD will get cut off. This is happening on my my fast, (15x - 20x iTunes import speed), CD/DVD drive. I didn’t have this issue in 7.6.0.29, or earlier versions of iTunes. The problem doesn’t seem to occur on my slow (6x - 9x) CD/DVD burner, so it may be related to the speed of the drive.

Posted by skoma1 on February 26, 2008 at 10:58 PM (CST)