Apple releases iTunes 7.7.1 | iLounge News

Apple releases iTunes 7.7.1

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, July 31, 2008
News Categories: iTunes

Apple has released iTunes 7.7.1, the latest update to its digital media management program. According to release notes provided by Apple, iTunes 7.7.1 “includes fixes to improve stability and performance.” iTunes 7.7.1 is available now through Apple’s Software Update utility or as a direct download from itunes.com.

« Belkin patent dispute stalls PDO iPod car add-on shipments

Apple warns of near-term iPod shortages »

Comments

Where is iPhone software version 2.1?! I guess I may be a little over-ambitious, but with the stability and speed problems that have come with iPhone Software 2.0, I was hoping that a new version of iTunes meant a new version of iPhone software. Instead, I get to wait the same amount of time for the back up process , and download all of my applications again. Please hurry on 2.1…

Posted by Dave on July 31, 2008 at 6:13 AM (PDT)

I agree with Dave.  I don’t know how many times Safari has crashed on me with 2.0!  I’m very surprised they’re not calling it 2.0 Beta.

Posted by Mark on July 31, 2008 at 6:40 AM (PDT)

Come on guys, do you know anything about writing software? It’ll take a while to write the stuff, to replace this isssues, when they find the causes.

Posted by Tom on July 31, 2008 at 7:28 AM (PDT)

If that’s the case, Tom, then Apple is no better than Microsoft.  Historically, Apple has Beta tested it’s products intensively before they get released.  But in recent months, they has been content to put anything out there because something is better than nothing.

Pretty soon, these bug-riddled products will earn Apple a reputation… one they don’t want I’m sure.

Posted by Mark on July 31, 2008 at 7:35 AM (PDT)

Unfortunately, that “reputation” you speak of will only be with long time Apple customers. The current performance of their products is still an improvement over what new users have experienced elsewhere. No excuse though.

Posted by Jordan on July 31, 2008 at 7:54 AM (PDT)

I wonder if this will fix my iPhone syncing slow-down.

Posted by pat on July 31, 2008 at 8:10 AM (PDT)

I’ve notest that syncing without a universal dock inbetween is Much faster.

Posted by Dan on July 31, 2008 at 8:37 AM (PDT)

Posted by RNB in Bakersfield, CA on July 31, 2008 at 8:53 AM (PDT)

I’m using Vista on all my computers, and it’s working very nicely, thank you.

Posted by MR RM on July 31, 2008 at 12:18 PM (PDT)

Irrespective of whatever “bug fixes” are pledged in iTunes 7.7.1, the next iPhone firmware needs (and I want to stress “needs”) attention to these areas:

1. The unnecessary backup every time you sync the iPhone…save us all.

2. The ridiculously laggy, shaky performance of the iPhone during downloads of apps or updates from the App Store.

3. Random Safari shutdowns continue (and now I’ve noticed this happening with certain apps and the mail client).

4. Typing responsiveness has really become a problem. Inputting text on web pages is very slow and unreliable.

5. Dragging icons from one page to another needs to be easier.

6. This is a personal preference, but as someone who has multiple email accounts, I would like to see Apple stick an “accounts” button permanently at the top of the Mail program screen, so I don’t have to walk backward from one account a couple of steps and then forward into another account the same way. Just streamline that a little.

And then, here are the same ol’ gripes, beyond mere bug fixes:

7. Can we get Notes to sync, please?

8. Can we get cut and paste, please?

9. Can we get a video recording app, please?

10. Can we get an integrated EQ in the iPod app, instead of having to back out to the settings menu?

Posted by Flippy Hambone on July 31, 2008 at 12:24 PM (PDT)

so does this come with the default install of mobileme like the last itunes update that totally totally refused to recognize any of my ipods?

Posted by dontbotherme on July 31, 2008 at 1:33 PM (PDT)

RNB said:
“Apple is no better than Microsoft? — The esteemed creators of Zune and Vista? That comment makes me laugh out loud…”

Well, when Microsoft introduced their second Zune, did they also make it so every Zune was bricked for a day like Apple did with the 3G?  I’m telling you, Apple has been dropping a lot of balls lately… some of them are major ones.  I was without my business phone for an entire day because of that whole debacle!

Posted by Mark on July 31, 2008 at 2:23 PM (PDT)

And I have noticed, particularly on my iPhone that with 2.0 I now have repeated issues of waking from sleep. It won’t plus it freezes on me when I want to answer a call and so can’t…and this issue with sleep have invaded my powermac laptop as well. I guess with Tiger and no intel chip that is at the root of my problem, but it takes forever to wake from sleep now.

Anyone else got the same problems?

Posted by Tobin Sinclair on July 31, 2008 at 2:50 PM (PDT)

===Apple is no better than Microsoft? — The esteemed creators of Zune and Vista? That comment makes me laugh out loud===
Posted by RNB in Bakersfield, CA

Correct. Apple is the same monolithic-type company as Microsoft, both with monopolies (MS in OS’s, Apple in music players), and both owned by super rich, ego driven businessmen.

Yet Aple is the darling of everyone’s eye while Microsoft equals the devil. I don’t get it.

Posted by Dale Reeck on July 31, 2008 at 7:00 PM (PDT)

pple’s competitors implemented them on their own products—even as Apple engineers complained that they were technically impossible. Gapless playback comes immediately to mind (though Apple’s solution is, by almost all accounts, crude and imperfect).

I also cannot help but notice that Apple refuses to acknowledge several well documented bugs from the 3rd generation iPod that have been carried faithfully into successive generations. Is the visceral thrill of owning and regularly upgrading Apple technology so exquisite as to quell any and all pangs of righteous indignation when we pay for a product that does not function as advertised or perform to expectation? Is our lust for schadenfreude so primal that at the first sign of uncertainty regarding the wisdom of our purchases we console ourselves mocking the purchases of others?

The raison d’etre of Apple, like Microsoft before it, is to make money. Building shareholder value does not require a paternalistic relationship between manufacturer and consumer. Like any good drug peddler knows, it’s not the love, but the getting them hooked thing that pays back in spades.

Posted by MattL on July 31, 2008 at 8:19 PM (PDT)

Maybe we would have locking issues and restarting issues like I’ve been experiencing if they wouldn’t UNDERCLOCK the processor!  It’s a standard 624Mhz processor clocked DOWN to around 400!

Posted by Rick on July 31, 2008 at 10:44 PM (PDT)

@rick

under clocking massively reduces the power consumption of a device

Posted by power saver on July 31, 2008 at 11:33 PM (PDT)

This is about iTunes not the iPhone. Keep your Jebus-Phone comments on-topic please.

Posted by Chris Matchett on August 5, 2008 at 2:11 AM (PDT)

To RNB

The new zune is actually an amazing product… unfortunately the mac book pro I just got is forcing me to switch back to the ipod. The navigation on the zune is leaps and bounds faster and easier to use than the ipods.

Posted by Luke Kantola on August 6, 2008 at 5:48 PM (PDT)