Apple releases iTunes 8 with Genius auto-playlists | iLounge News

Apple releases iTunes 8 with Genius auto-playlists

image

Apple today released iTunes 8, the latest update to its digital media management application featuring support for HD TV shows in the iTunes Store and a new Genius feature which automatically makes playlists from songs in the user’s library. When a song is selected, a new Genius button in the bottom right corner will create a new playlist. Apple-developed Genius Algorithms communicate with the iTunes Store, taking info about your library and sending it anonymously to Apple to let them learn about your tastes. A new grid view displays media by cover art, with a bar at the top to choose between albums, artists, genres, composers, and a slider to adjust the size of the art. This view also works with TV shows, movies, podcasts. iTunes 8 is a free download for both Mac and Windows users and is available now from itunes.com.

« Hands-on: iPod nano 4G and iPod touch 2G

Highlights from Apple’s ‘Let’s Rock’ special event [updated] »

Comments

Finally you can half-rate songs on iTunes!

Posted by Luis on September 9, 2008 at 2:37 PM (CDT)

I can do without the new Genius feature, so I hope I’ll be able to turn it off….

Posted by Russell on September 9, 2008 at 2:44 PM (CDT)

The option to turn off genre when browsing when in list view seems to have vanished. The new thumbnail view doesn’t organize by compilation even if you have that option turned on.

Posted by Cyantre on September 9, 2008 at 3:00 PM (CDT)

When in thumbnail mode, viewing by album displays the thumbnail as more of a square. In any other view the thumbnail becomes more rounded off on the edges.

For albums with artwork that is more rectangular, the only view to display properly is when viewing by album. In all other views black is added to the top and bottom of the album artwork, instead of compensating for the rectangular shape of the artwork.

Posted by Cyantre on September 9, 2008 at 3:07 PM (CDT)

The option to turn off links to iTunes Store has also vanished.

Posted by Cyantre on September 9, 2008 at 3:09 PM (CDT)

@Luis I don’t see how to do it without resorting to a script.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on September 9, 2008 at 3:23 PM (CDT)

my itunes still shows no update available…why?

Posted by rd on September 9, 2008 at 3:42 PM (CDT)

I was wondering if Genius had the Music Genome Project’s work at its core. Maybe not. Will be easy to compare Genius’ efforts at making a compatible playlist “side by side” with Pandora’s efforts streaming over the wi-fi.

Posted by Just for Quix on September 9, 2008 at 4:11 PM (CDT)

No iTunes 8 for Mexico, it seems… or maybe it’s because the Spanish version hasn’t been released… odd since the new iPods are already on sale on the mexican Apple Online Store.

Is the Party Shuffle option still available?

Posted by Korpil on September 9, 2008 at 4:12 PM (CDT)

Browsing in the grid view by Artist is actually using the Album Artist field. No more separate entries for tracks with guest artists!
Browsing by Album by Title now separates similarly-titled albums such as “Greatest Hits”.  WooHoo!

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on September 9, 2008 at 4:12 PM (CDT)

Three major issues so far with iTunes 8.

-No option to disable the Genre view for the Browser anymore.
-No option to disable the iTunes Store link arrows anymore.
-Exiting iTunes maximized doesn’t save, iTunes will start not maximized.

Posted by Michael King on September 9, 2008 at 4:32 PM (CDT)

THE BEST thing found in the update so far..?
INDIVIDUAL SETTINGS FOR PODCAST MANAGEMENT!!!
Seriously been waiting for this for years!
Do I want to keep every BBC or NPR news update forever? NO! Just give me the latest.
Do I want to keep every Song of the Day download forever?  Yes! At least until I listen to them and decide if worthy of keeping/buying.
Saving Gigs of space on my hardrive(s)!
Guess the Apple Dev teams DO listen…, occasionally.

Posted by dano on September 9, 2008 at 4:36 PM (CDT)

After installing QT 7.5.5 and iTunes 8 on a 2.16Ghz MacBook OS X 105.4 WITH NO 3RD PARTY SOFTWARE, the iTunes Preferences Advanced Tab no longer displays the General/Importing/Burning Button. Anyone else run into this?

Posted by Stevo on September 9, 2008 at 4:52 PM (CDT)

Can you still create your own free ring tones by changing the extension?

Posted by Anachronism on September 9, 2008 at 5:25 PM (CDT)

So does this use your ratings? If so, does it disregard unrated songs? If not, does that mean that every song in your library is rated equally?

Posted by jasonact on September 9, 2008 at 5:34 PM (CDT)

@Stevo - The Import preferences that use to be found in the Advanced tab is now a radio button in the General tab.

Posted by dano on September 9, 2008 at 5:46 PM (CDT)

I’m sure this will be a good version of Itunes in time, but I think I’ll wait for the wrinkles to be ironed out of this one before I install it. Unremovable links to the Itunes Store do not appeal to me at all. Nor do I see any point in the genius playlist feature at all. I am quite capable of making my own playlists, thank you very much. It seems I’m still waiting for the day when Itunes organises classical music properly, but I live in hope. How many years did it take them to work out that not every piece of music is a “song”?

Posted by Queen Dragon on September 9, 2008 at 7:40 PM (CDT)

Tried several times, restart and everything; can’t get iTunes 8 to install on my Vista 64 system (with the Vista 64 download). Will try the standard version and see what’s up.

Posted by Instynx on September 9, 2008 at 7:50 PM (CDT)

It looks like they nixed the “Backup to Disc” feature.

And I can’t find the “Consolidate Library” command anywhere on the menubar either. It looks like you’ll have to have iTunes keep your library organized, or else you won’t be able to consolidate it manually.

And with the backup to disc feature gone, I hope they add a Backup to External HD feature to take its place in iTunes 8.1

Posted by NYCRaf on September 9, 2008 at 10:10 PM (CDT)

I just installed iTunes 8 on my pc with Vista.  First, I got some kind of message asking me if I had the authority to install at a stage over 1/2 way thru.  I checked “retry” and the installation continued.  Now, every time I plug my iPhone in, my computer crashes!  I get the blue screen and the computer restarts, but I can’t plug my iPhone in!  I uninstalled all and re-installed, but it still does it!  Apple gets more like Microsoft every day!!!!  Help!!

Posted by Annie on September 9, 2008 at 10:34 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >