Apple releases iTunes 8.0.1 | iLounge News

Apple releases iTunes 8.0.1

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, October 3, 2008
News Categories: iTunes

Apple has released iTunes 8.0.1, the first update to its digital media management application since the release of iTunes 8.0. According to the software’s release notes, iTunes 8.0.1 adds VoiceOver accessibility to iTunes 8 and iTunes U, improves stability and performance, and provides a number of bug fixes, including seamless playback of the current song when creating a Genius playlist, improved syncing of spoken menus to the fourth-generation iPod nano and checking for updates from the App Store, and fixes for an issue where HD TV episodes would be deleted while downloading. In our testing, the software also appears to have fixed an issue with some iTunes Store HDTV content where HD and SD episodes of certain programs were not properly linked, resulting in problems with both the syncing of content and keeping track of play counts. iTunes 8.0.1 is available now as a free download from iTunes.com or through Apple’s Software Update program.

« iPodweek on its way, sign up now

Apple releases Apple TV Software 2.2 »

Comments

Does it fix the issue of not accessing iTunes Music Store on accounts that have parental controls enabled that was introduced in Mac OS X 10.5.5 update?

Posted by random9 on October 3, 2008 at 8:09 AM (PDT)

Any word on whether this latest release “unbreaks” AirTunes? Apple posted some “hail Mary” workarounds on its website which resolved this issue for some, but certainly not all, customers who could not access their remote speakers using iTunes 8.0.  It was especially inadequate for WIndows users… basically said, “first make sure you’ve upgraded your firmware, and then. . .

. . .nothing”

I’d just as soon not upgrade if I"m going to have to “downgrade” again, so I’d appreciate any feedback from iLounge editors/readers before I proceed.

Posted by ML on October 3, 2008 at 9:25 AM (PDT)

Hmmmm…I never had an issue with AirTunes using iTunes 8.0. iWow worked well too. We’ll see how they function under 8.0.1.

Posted by RNB in Bakersfield, CA on October 3, 2008 at 9:57 AM (PDT)

RNB:

The AirTunes issue was widely reported but not experienced by everyone. I run iTunes on both a desktop PC and a laptop, and AirTunes did not work on the former but did work on the latter.

None of the workarounds proposed by Apple or by contributors to Apple’s support groups resolved my issue.

Posted by ML on October 3, 2008 at 11:01 AM (PDT)

I continue to encounter error -3256 while attempting to use Airtunes in iTunes 8.0.1.  Windows XP Pro, Airport Express firmware 6.3. Disappointing.  Rolling back to 7.6 again. Disappointing.

Posted by Frito on October 3, 2008 at 1:41 PM (PDT)

I am using iTunes 8.0.1 and Apple TV 2.2.
When trying to use the Apple TV 2.2 as remote speakers, iTunes 8.0.1 returns unknown error -15000.
That sucks hard, man!
Its one of my favorites to stream the *same* music into several rooms.
Please give us some updates or advice on iTunes, Steve! smile

Posted by Rambo on October 3, 2008 at 2:30 PM (PDT)

Hi,

I was wondering when Apple allows users to upgrade their previously bought SD Episodes into HD?
Does anybody here know something about that fact? I send a mail to Apple, but the simply told me that they weren’t supposed to talk about “any rumours like that” .. hmmm

Man, I really DON’T want to buy everything over and over again, iTunes Plus is working so fine, why can’t they just offer the same for TV-Shows?!

Posted by Darkassassin on October 4, 2008 at 1:23 AM (PDT)

Sicne Upgrading to itunes 8.01 and apple tv 2.2 i can no longer stream any content across my wirless network.  Does anyone have a fix for this?

Posted by Varley on October 5, 2008 at 6:24 AM (PDT)

i have tried to install the version of itunes 8.0.1 but before it has finished it says there is a system problem

Posted by Marc Gillis on October 9, 2008 at 3:45 PM (PDT)

I have a problem with AirPort Express and Win XP where all my music now skips like a broken record. Started happening with iTunes 8, and continues with 8.0.1. I can no longer listen to music on my stereo system when streamed through AirPort Express.

I’ve stopped downloading music from Apple and will continue to boycott them until they fix this. Music is just as good or better (256-bit) from Amazon and often $.89 per song. If more people with iTunes problems did this maybe Apple would pay more attention. I’m sure they have far more Windows iTunes users than Mac.

Posted by Abe on October 14, 2008 at 8:46 PM (PDT)

I have a problem displaying Itunes 8.0.1.  My problem is that it doesn’t work. It’s background is black with my music displayed as faded white writing and I can’t access any of the menus.  Can anybody help me to resolve this issue?

Posted by Sharon Frith on October 15, 2008 at 7:03 AM (PDT)