Apple releases iTunes 9.1 with iPad support (Updated) | iLounge News

Apple releases iTunes 9.1 with iPad support (Updated)

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, March 30, 2010
News Categories: Apple, iPad, iTunes

image

Apple has released iTunes 9.1, the latest update to its digital media management software. As previously reported, the update brings compatibility with the iPad, as well as the ability to “organize and sync books you’ve downloaded from iBooks on iPad or added to your iTunes library,” and the ability to “rename, rearrange, or remove Genius Mixes.” iTunes 9.1 is available now via Apple’s Software Update utility and as direct download from itunes.com.

Update: Upon installation, iLounge has confirmed that iTunes 9.1 references what appears to be an iPad-optimized version of its Remote application; it is possible, but unlikely, that this is simply to account for iPads running the current iPhone and iPod touch build of the app. The new version of iTunes is also able to import free ePub books, which now appear with Audiobooks and purchased books in a “Books” heading within the iTunes Library, which is then subdivided to count the number of titles in audio and book formats separately. Users are able to manually add cover art to ePub titles as they can with music albums, and the info window for books offers a VoiceOver pane where users can set the VoiceOver language on a per-title basis.

Wrappers debuts new sleeves for iPad »

Comments

Haven’t been able to properly ask this, but do you think an iBooks app for iPhone/iPod touch will be released alongside its iPad sibling?

Posted by Mario on March 30, 2010 at 1:27 PM (PDT)

Also, when can we expect a mac app to read these on? Does it open Preview if you open those books on the computer?

Posted by jiji on March 30, 2010 at 1:54 PM (PDT)

I am starting to wonder if there will be an iBooks App for the iPhone off the bat.  When I updated iTunes I get the Books heading but on my MBP I don’t have any books or audiobooks so I just get a welcome screen and it says: “Books and audiobooks you add to iTunes appear in Books in your iTunes library.  To play an audiobook, just double-click it. To read a book, sync it to an iPad.”  I don’t think they would write it that way if they were planning on allowing books to be read on anything other than the iPad since it would be odd to specify sync to an iPad and not just sync it to your device.

Posted by TosaDeac on March 30, 2010 at 2:54 PM (PDT)

I figure you guys are going to run an “Instant Expert” article soon about 9.1, so here’s a tip: While in the Apps section of the iTunes library, “Version” can now be viewed as a column and can be sorted (although I don’t know why anyone would want to sort apps by version). This is a new feature of 9.1.

Posted by Muero on March 30, 2010 at 9:31 PM (PDT)

There’s also a full-screen option in the store.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on March 31, 2010 at 6:38 AM (PDT)

My “Books” screen is not subdivided into audiobooks and books as the one you show in the screenshot above. Did you guys have to do anything special to turn that on? I’ve looked at the tags for my books and the Media Kind is properly set for all of them. I’m not sure what else to try.

Posted by Noel on March 31, 2010 at 7:11 AM (PDT)

iTunes 9.1 also seems to break the order of playlists again.  I have a playlist for audio podcasts and one for video podcasts.  Both of these are sorted by oldest first however after upgrading to 9.1 they are all jumbled up on my iPhone.

Also right clicking on a large format video podcast used to give the option to cover to iPod/iPhone format.  This option no longer exsists.

Posted by skotbites on March 31, 2010 at 7:12 AM (PDT)

Our Instant Expert piece is now available with more detail on what’s new in iTunes 9.1.

#1 / #3: The iBooks app will be a separate download from the App Store and it is remotely possible that it may in fact be a “Universal” app that runs on both devices. However Apple has not said anything that would lead us to believe that this will be the case, and they seem to be focusing on the iPad in this role. I wouldn’t hold out too much hope for seeing an iPhone/iPod touch version on day one. Whether it shows up later is another question, of course.

#2: Presently ePub titles imported into iTunes are about as usable as iPhone apps within iTunes—that is to say, not at all.  Double-clicking on them does nothing at all.  A third-party ePub reader would obviously work for titles you import yourself, although you’d have to open them manually as there would be no hooks in iTunes. iBookstore titles are expected to be DRM-protected and are therefore likely to work only on the iPad or any other device that Apple chooses to bring eBook support to.

#4: So noted, thanks.  The sorting, of course, is just a function of what can be done with any column in iTunes. The ability to display it is definitely useful, however.

#5: That was actually there in iTunes 9.

#6: Firstly, you need to have some actual ePub books in your library already—it won’t show up until the content is there. Once you’ve imported some eBooks, check your settings under View, Grid View and ensure that “Books” is selected rather than Author or Categories.

#7: The convert option is gone from the context menus for whatever reason, but it can still be found on the “Advanced” menu. I didn’t come across the problem you describe with playlists during my testing—the same problems still exist that were present in iTunes 9, specifically in regard to Smart Playlists, but I haven’t noticed any other issues.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on March 31, 2010 at 8:29 AM (PDT)

Looks like this release removed Bonjour thus disabling WiFi transfer to apps like Stanza and ComicZeal.  Going to the Bonjour install page for Windows now takes you to the BonjourPrint Services help page.  Anyone else notice this?
Looks like Apples yanking us around again.

Posted by Cogitator X on March 31, 2010 at 11:01 AM (PDT)

WARNING for Windows 7 x64 users with iPhone 3G!!!!

If you install iTunes 9.1 x64, you will NOT be able to connect your iPhone 3G (and probably iPhone 3GS too).  I’ve spent days on this and Apple Support is working with me.  I can sync to other iPod devices.

Posted by Brian on April 3, 2010 at 12:18 PM (PDT)